Josh Okogie out till ACC????

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't really see this as a Dion Glover situation.
Glover was a 5* McD AA who was very open when he signed that he would only stay at GT as long as it took for him to get to the NBA.
Josh hasn't seemed like that at all. I think this injury makes it much more likely Josh is back as a JR. He had some things to prove on the court before an NBA team would be willing to use a first round draft pick on him.

it also helps that Josh is really young (he is younger than both Jose and CGB), so age is not a big issue with him.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I would argue that this situation marginally increases the chances JO goes pro.

Like @RamblinRed says, I think JO has a ton to work on. Realistically, he is well shy of a 1st round grade coming into the year outside of "potential". He is in a 1/2 guard body without an NBA-ready handle or outside shot.

But now his sophomore season is shortened i.e., he may still get the benefit of the doubt re: "potential" and in NBA eyes there is less opportunity to pick apart his game and call him old news. Or, potentially JO performs well for the 2-2.5 months of the season that he plays, then he can point to doing that despite "coming back from injury". Maybe some team takes a flier.

In any case, I think the JO NBA talk last season was crazy and still think it is. Here's hoping he plays well enough to prove me wrong.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nothing would make me happier than having Josh be a legit NBA draft candidate by the end of the year. That type of production/performance puts us likely in the big dance. I don't believe it will happen but if it does I will gladly take it.

He needs to elevate his game drastically to warrant jumping into the league. That being said, the NBA selects now more on potential than on proven results. Would be surprised if some team took a flier on him, but I believe it would be mistake for both parties. If he is allowed to mature his game at more natural pace, he will have a quicker positive professional impact.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Can't do any conditioning. Had not heard that. That just sucks royally. Two to three games after he is cleared before he is effective.

GT7378

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't really see this as a Dion Glover situation.
Glover was a 5* McD AA who was very open when he signed that he would only stay at GT as long as it took for him to get to the NBA.
Josh hasn't seemed like that at all. I think this injury makes it much more likely Josh is back as a JR. He had some things to prove on the court before an NBA team would be willing to use a first round draft pick on him.

it also helps that Josh is really young (he is younger than both Jose and CGB), so age is not a big issue with him.

Who is CGB?