Josh Okogie comparisons

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am picturing the college Jordan. Jordan's game evolved a lot over the years and agree the comparison is less workable the older Jordan got.
Main thing I see missing when I think of college Jordan are some of the highlight dunks. But even those came later in Jordan's college years. Not sure if Okogie will ever even approach that explosiveness.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
You need to rewatch some MJ games. MJ was a freaking assassin on the court. Could rise up and drain a 3 over anybody, an unstoppable fadeway, post moves that would put most big men to shame. I don’t see any of those out of Okogie. He’s a typical slasher. The D-Wade comparison is most accurate.

Jordan's killer fadeaway came later in his career, as his athletic ability started to drop off. Kobe did the same thing. Early Jordan was a scoring dynamo though...Okogie's a hell of a player but he's got a LONG way to go to reach anywhere close to Jordan's level.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Along the lines of player development, is doping a problem in basketball?

Never really hear it discussed much, but I'd imagine the temptation is there from an explosiveness standpoint.

Grew up as a kid in Chicago & MJ is a god to me. No doubt his work ethic and competitiveness made him great. Not making any acquisitions. But with the rampant use of PEDs in other sports during that time + Jordan rules, I gotta wonder.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Looking at some of the kids coming out of Florida, especially during the Donovan years, always had me curious. Their extra smedium jerseys probably add to that look though.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This. Jordan? Westbrook? Come on guys lol... Josh Okogie is a great player but some of these comparisons are so off the grid

In our last 22 games, not including tusculum, Okogie is averaging 17.7 ppg, 6 rpg, and 1.9 apg on 49% shooting. That is against ACC competition and the NIT. That is pretty much exactly what Jordan averaged during his time at UNC.

Now comparing him to what Jordan became in the NBA is a different beast entirely.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
In our last 22 games, not including tusculum, Okogie is averaging 17.7 ppg, 6 rpg, and 1.9 apg on 49% shooting. That is against ACC competition and the NIT. That is pretty much exactly what Jordan averaged during his time at UNC.

Now comparing him to what Jordan became in the NBA is a different beast entirely.

Yeah but... We don't have James Worthy, Sam Perkins, etc. to compete for touches.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
JO is athletic freak.He has arms that hang below his knees.He can take guys off dribble with best of them and skys for balls. .His plays at end of Miss game just were special.(not to mention FT shooting.) What a treasure.He is a lot like Oliver but jumps better and may maybe shoot long better in future.
Hmmm Lammers and JO--both recruited by PGregory hmmmm

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
This. Jordan? Westbrook? Come on guys lol... Josh Okogie is a great player but some of these comparisons are so off the grid

I and others not saying he's a good as Jordan/Westbrook/Dalrymple, just saying the play style is similar. OP did not ask who Okogie was as good as, asked to compare his game to other players. To do this most will use player most people know.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow

Stats are of marginal value when it comes to a comparing players. Okogie is not going to remind many, if any, basketball fans of Michael Jordan outside of
I and others not saying he's a good as Jordan/Westbrook/Dalrymple, just saying the play style is similar. OP did not ask who Okogie was as good as, asked to compare his game to other players. To do this most will use player most people know.

I understand. That makes sense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Stats are of marginal value when it comes to a comparing players. Okogie is not going to remind many, if any, basketball fans of Michael Jordan outside of

Then what was your basis for saying the comparisons were off the grid if not level of production?