Jordan Yates

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t watch the whole thing, but what stood out to me was the pocket Smith had to stand in.

Sure some of the concepts are nice, but that offense would look a lot different with our OL blocking for it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got plenty of beef with some of CDP’s play selection, but OL is still the biggest issue to our lack of consistency on O.
In general, I agree; we do need improvement on the OL. However, I think the type of O makes a difference in OL performance. When he D is off balance and not sure where to commit, blocking gets a lot easier. We saw this all through Paul's tenure. Even when the OL talent was only so-so, Tech still rushed for massive amounts of yards. The reason was that the D was always back on their heels, unable to predict where the ball was going to go and subject to blocking angles that made their life a lot harder.

With great talent on D this doesn't cut much ice; any O can be stopped by that. However, our present O is too predictable, as many here have pointed out. More deception - there's precious little now - would make the OL look a lot better, imho.

And, of course, having a D that can stop people would certainly help.

slugboy

Staff member
In general, I agree; we do need improvement on the OL. However, I think the type of O makes a difference in OL performance. When he D is off balance and not sure where to commit, blocking gets a lot easier. We saw this all through Paul's tenure. Even when the OL talent was only so-so, Tech still rushed for massive amounts of yards. The reason was that the D was always back on their heels, unable to predict where the ball was going to go and subject to blocking angles that made their life a lot harder.

With great talent on D this doesn't cut much ice; any O can be stopped by that. However, our present O is too predictable, as many here have pointed out. More deception - there's precious little now - would make the OL look a lot better, imho.

And, of course, having a D that can stop people would certainly help.

If being predictable were that big a factor, the 1970's Seattle Seahawks would have gone to a SuperBowl and the 1960's Green Bay Packers wouldn't have made the playoffs.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Jordan Yates hasn’t looked good against a P5 opponent yet. Last week he finished with a PFF score of 42.6, a pass rating of 36.7, and a QBR of 68.5. Not sure where this lovefest over Yates comes from other than he played great in the high school. He’s an ok back up, which is fine, but all this over Sims takes is pure folly.