Jordan Yates

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I miss our old offense recaps from @Longestday . It seems like our playcalling changed a lot after the first two drives. I assume BC was lining up differently, but I didn't notice it. We were running a lot of toss sweep early and really making BC defend the whole width of the field. Yates did well with what the oline gave him, but the later pressure certainly hindered his ability to drive the field the last drive.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it's pretty clear that Yates can do special things. I like him a lot. I also like Sims but respect Yates since he is doing as much as Sims with less raw talent. But neither is the problem with us not winning.

It's the D stupid.

That said, why can't we play both since they have different games and make the other teams have to prepare for more? For ND and uGag, it doesn't matter. Maybe next year.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think with just a middle of the road in the acc type D we’d be at 6 wins at least with either one of Sims or Yates at Qb. I really like Sims athleticism and it makes us really dangerous combined with Gibbs Smith and Mason but Yates has the ability to make plays and the games seems to be a little slower to him right now. He reminds me of a Tevin Washington type. A game manager that can get the ball where it needs to be and in the right play makers hands. Granted, both make some costly errors but given a clean pocket or time to make the read, both are really good.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Great first half. Not so great second half. Wasn’t about to overcome BC’s halftime adjustments on defense.

Something i noticed is we pretty much abandoned our rocket toss in the second half. Not sure why, That was really opening up a lot of things off the play action and i think we were averaging something like 6 ypc with it. I also noticed there were several called gives that i feel should have been options where yates would have had daylight in front of him in the second half.

snellvillejacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Something i noticed is we pretty much abandoned our rocket toss in the second half. Not sure why, That was really opening up a lot of things off the play action and i think we were averaging something like 6 ypc with it. I also noticed there were several called gives that i feel should have been options where yates would have had daylight in front of him in the second half.
They moved their defensive end and linebackers out to stop the wide plays. Can’t believe you could not see it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Rocket toss got blown up a couple of times early in the second half. BC made adjustments. That may have contributed to moving away from that call. I agree is was very successful early on.

Personally, I couldn't tell what was a called give versus an option to keep. I thought Yates should have kept several times in the second half. They looked like read option plays to me when I watched Yates's eyes.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Btw, offense is really not that good either. We just have more possessions now because our defense can't stop anything. It's like @ilovetheoption with his basketball analogy, a guy who shoots 6-23 is not having a better night then a guy who shoots 5-6.

Let's just clear that up. Good on the staff for finding Gibbs, because without him, things would be even worse.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
On the interception Yates threw, he uncharacteristically made a bad decision because he could have run for good yardage - quite possibly a first and goal or even a TD if he picks up a block. He'll get better if he gets some more playing time under his belt. We should keep in mind that he has a lot less of that at this point than Sims.

Also, there was a pass off McGowan's fingertips that looked to me to be intended for somebody else - looked like #7, which would be Gowdy. Looked on target and would have converted on a long third down putting us at least in field goal range. The game might have turned out differently if we convert those two plays.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On the interception Yates threw, he uncharacteristically made a bad decision because he could have run for good yardage - quite possibly a first and goal or even a TD if he picks up a block. He'll get better if he gets some more playing time under his belt. We should keep in mind that he has a lot less of that at this point than Sims.

Also, there was a pass off McGowan's fingertips that looked to me to be intended for somebody else - looked like #7, which would be Gowdy. Looked on target and would have converted on a long third down putting us at least in field goal range. The game might have turned out differently if we convert those two plays.
Seriously?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
They moved their defensive end and linebackers out to stop the wide plays. Can’t believe you could not see it.
He could be use to watching our coaches and forgot other coaches make adjustments at halftime and it's my understanding that some can do it during the game. I guess you have to pay more than 2.7 m to get a coach that can do it.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yates has one problem - sporadic playing time. If he had the same playing time under his belt as Sims he’d be way ahead of where he is right now. The indecision on the pick was simply due to lack of playing time which causes hesitation. We saw it last year with Sims. Yates has really played ball consistently in 3 years. And the problem moving forward is even if he gets the nod to be the sacrificial lamb the next two games we all know Collins will have Sims take all the snaps in the spring and then open the season. We’ll be 1-3 before Yates gets another shot under this coach. And someone posted earlier that he may graduate soon. If so, he should go somewhere even a lower level to at least get a chance to play consistently.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I missed the beginning of the third for a little bit and it didnt really see them sliding out it all times. Sometimes plays get blown up

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Rocket toss got blown up a couple of times early in the second half. BC made adjustments. That may have contributed to moving away from that call. I agree is was very successful early on.

Personally, I couldn't tell what was a called give versus an option to keep. I thought Yates should have kept several times in the second half. They looked like read option plays to me when I watched Yates's eyes.
You can watch the line there was an egregious missed read on a 3rd down play if so but given hownyates had been reading up until then I dont think it was a read. It might have been an rpo though which didnt have a qb run component only a throw or give and he was reading thr backer not the end