Jordan Yates

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I haven't read all 6 pages of this thread, but this is supposed to be a sense of humor thingy....right?
Actually, my post was meant seriously, but poorly worded. What I believe is that the guys play harder and better when they have buy in with each other, including the QB. Maybe Yates is a better QB fit for this team because the rest of the team has more confidence in him. That is something good coaches will see.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Actually, my post was meant seriously, but poorly worded. What I believe is that the guys play harder and better when they have buy in with each other, including the QB. Maybe Yates is a better QB fit for this team because the rest of the team has more confidence in him. That is something good coaches will see.
Actually in an AJC interview this morning, one of the receivers talked about how Yates encouraged the players in the huddle during the Clemson game. That's leadership.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree it’s competition that will decide it. Mostly on the practice field, but some on the game field. As soon as Sims is healthy, he’ll get st least 2 series per half to show what he’s got. He will be on a short leash.
If Yates wins a couple of ACC games before Sims is healed up then I believe he will have won the job going forward, if he has a bad game Sims will get a shot...

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
And it will be interesting to see how Yates does once opposing coaches know to prep for him and have some tape on tendencies. I think he'll do well and adapt, but you have to think that the coaches believe more of the playbook is available with Sims...everything else being equal (which it never is.)

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is the week 3 ESPN QBR:

Yates was 7th in the ACC last week, and 6th overall. Currently he has a QBR of 68. Tevin Washington’s career QBR was 71. Justin Thomas was 78.2 back in 2016.

Yates has the highest completion percentage I’ve seen on the flats in a while. Yardage is ok, but not many big plays yet. What he needs is points.
The rankings tables you are using apparently include rushing statistics as well as adjustments for strength of opponents. According to passing efficiency rankings included in three different sources (teamrankings.com, espn.com and sports–reference.com), Jordan Yates passing efficiency ranking for this season (previous seasons no significant passing stats), his ranking is 155.7. Using sports-reference.com (I cannot figure out how to get individual player stats from the other sources) the following rankings for best year and career are given for Joe Hamilton 175.0, 148.2: George Godsey 151.9, 143.6: Justin Thomas 157, 141.7 and Tevin Washington 155.4, 142.8.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Bledsoe was out for the entire season. That’s a whole different situation.
I would say it isn't different. If there were a hard "rule" that you cannot lose a starting position because of an injury, then the length of the injury wouldn't matter.

Coaches should start someone based on the person who provides the best opportunity to win. Whether that is win this game, or win sometime in the future is also a coach's decision. Fans don't see what happens in practice. Fans don't know how the players are performing on the field compared to the expectations that the coaches have. Being "named" a starter earlier in the year shouldn't have any more to do with the decision about who should actually start than the fans' opinion of who the starter should be. The coach should make the decision based on best opportunity to win. The coaches will be judged by winning or losing and not by who the starters were.

I think that CGC's opportunity to play for wins in the future is running out. Not saying that he should be fired right now, just saying that his runway to start taking off is getting near the end. I said in a different thread that I think the real time to take a look at progress of the team will be this week and next week. The coaches should play whichever QB they think will provide the best opportunity to win against UNC, and then against Pitt. Being named a captain and starter at the beginning of the year isn't as important as the best opportunity to win the game this weekend. Being the fan's pick isn't as important as the best opportunity to win the game this weekend.

slugboy

Staff member
The rankings tables you are using apparently include rushing statistics as well as adjustments for strength of opponents. According to passing efficiency rankings included in three different sources (teamrankings.com, espn.com and sports–reference.com), Jordan Yates passing efficiency ranking for this season (previous seasons no significant passing stats), his ranking is 155.7. Using sports-reference.com (I cannot figure out how to get individual player stats from the other sources) the following rankings for best year and career are given for Joe Hamilton 175.0, 148.2: George Godsey 151.9, 143.6: Justin Thomas 157, 141.7 and Tevin Washington 155.4, 142.8.
The numbers I ran myself were just the passing ratings, and they were the NCAA official formula with no adjustments. The ESPN numbers I pulled up later do include rushing and points, and are normalized on a 0-100 scale adjusted for strength of defense, but I'd also say that they're the ones that more people are looking at.

The "passing QBR" is more "how much did the QB contribute to winning in the passing game, while the ESPN one is more "how much did the QB contribute towards winning, period".

georgytech

Georgia Tech Fan
True, but we saw him this year in one quarter of one game. I agree with running the hot hand. Yates is or should be QB1 now.
However, I’ve seen Godsey, JoeHam, Shawn Jones, and other great QBs have awful games; possibly just as bad as Sims started against NIU. At the beginning, I wondered if Godsey would lose his position.
But we did see him all of last year where he had a lot of turnovers. Just saying. Yates should start for the remaining games as long as his performance is like the last two games.

gt6776c

Georgia Tech Fan
Sims wasn't lighting it up against NIU pre-injury. Yates would have likely gotten a chance in that game if Sims continued to struggle and before the injury. I think everyone that watched all 3 games sees that the offense looked better with Yates running it and I think he has earned the right to keep it. If he stinks it up, then Sims will get his turn. We shouldn't just anoint Sims the job based on the fact he is Elite 11, 4 star, more upside, etc. I want the guy that gives us a shot win and my eyes tell me that is Yates at this moment in time. Competition should make both he and Sims better in the long term which is good for GT football.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Yates has certainly been better than I thought he would be, but the way some people in here are talking about him you would think we scored 5 touchdowns against Clemson instead of ...zero.

He’s been solid. I’d still rather us start Sims. Much higher ceiling imo. Has a much stronger arm and a better runner. Just has to hope he holds on to the ball.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
How will Yates do in the next 2 games?

His counterparts are the highly experienced UNC and Pitt qbs who are playing for draft round status = $$$$.

They will do a lot better than the big freshman foot shooting Clemson qb).

They are going to score and could score quickly at end of game.

Clemson was trying to sack Yates and get the rbs in the backfield. He was running for life and they lost outside containment (no fear of big run).

At Clemson the take away for me about Yates was his Accuracy and Timing. He was exceptional.

imo unc/pitt will be focused on defending the run and keeping Yates in the pocket. They will be happy if we are forced to make long AD LIB passes.

The question for Yates in this game - when he has to make a long throw - will he be accurate and will he receivers be on the same page?

If we play error free on the offensive side of the ball and the OC makes them defend the edges we can stay with the 2 pro caliber qbs. Got to suck the safeties up and then see if we can make some big plays.

I believe we can do this.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yates has certainly been better than I thought he would be, but the way some people in here are talking about him you would think we scored 5 touchdowns against Clemson instead of ...zero.

He’s been solid. I’d still rather us start Sims. Much higher ceiling imo. Has a much stronger arm and a better runner. Just has to hope he holds on to the ball.
Sims has a stronger arm and is a better runner, but Yates can run as well and his arm strength is adequate. Meanwhile, Yates has exhibited considerably better decision-making and much better accuracy in his throws. He hasn't turned it over. He can throw on the run. Edge: Yates. That could change, but he looks like the real deal to me. We'll see what happens.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Sims has a stronger arm and is a better runner, but Yates can run as well and his arm strength is adequate. Meanwhile, Yates has exhibited considerably better decision-making and much better accuracy in his throws. He hasn't turned it over. He can throw on the run. Edge: Yates. That could change, but he looks like the real deal to me. We'll see what happens.
So Yates is like Tevin Washington :)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Too much emphasis on the QBs. The OL at this point cannot effectively block for the pass. Yates can handle that situation much much better than Sims. With solid OL protection there might be a better argument for Sims. With the current OL performance Yates has a really big advantage over Sims.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Too much emphasis on the QBs. The OL at this point cannot effectively block for the pass. Yates can handle that situation much much better than Sims. With solid OL protection there might be a better argument for Sims. With the current OL performance Yates has a really big advantage over Sims.

To me the opposite is true. With a weak OL it’s going to be difficult to sustain drives. We need more big plays, which I think Sims can provide better than Yates. But that’s just my opinion.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Good point.