Jordan Yates

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yates has certainly been better than I thought he would be, but the way some people in here are talking about him you would think we scored 5 touchdowns against Clemson instead of ...zero.

He’s been solid. I’d still rather us start Sims. Much higher ceiling imo. Has a much stronger arm and a better runner. Just has to hope he holds on to the ball.
I think Yates should continue to start but he has limited arm strength and I think can't see the middle of the field which severely limits your passing routes.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand how y'all can still say Sims should be the starter above Yates... Sims had 23 total turnovers last year!!! And already had one this year in his limited playing time that he did have.. Yates has 0 turnovers in 75 pass attempts and 32 carries! It's hard to beat anybody when you're constantly giving the other team the ball and keeping our defense on the field! Yates is by far better game manager, better leader and better competitor!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think Yates should continue to start but he has limited arm strength and I think can't see the middle of the field which severely limits your passing routes.
Supposedly, Yates is six feet tall and at that height he should be able to see the middle of the field most of the time. He was rolling out against Clemson by necessity, or I should say, running for his life. The thing that limited our passing routes was the Clemson pass rush. With adequate blocking I think we would see him stand in the pocket and hit passes over the middle. Too much is made of height, IMO. Little Joe was at least two inches shorter than Yates and he stood back there and hit lots of passes over the middle. Unless the linemen are right in his face, he can see.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand how y'all can still say Sims should be the starter above Yates... Sims had 23 total turnovers last year!!! And already had one this year in his limited playing time that he did have.. Yates has 0 turnovers in 75 pass attempts and 32 carries! It's hard to beat anybody when you're constantly giving the other team the ball and keeping our defense on the field! Yates is by far better game manager, better leader and better competitor!
Because he made throws Yates simply can't and made plays with his legs that Yates can't. Yates does an admirable job keeping the ball in our possession, but we very rarely take any shots whatsoever down field and we call a much safer game. Many more hitches, slants, swing passes that make Yates' job a little easier. With Sims last year, the playcalling was much more open and risk taking. Sims was also a true freshman with NO spring practice at all. Yates is in his 3rd year in the system now, and those things make a difference.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Sims turnovers and many three and outs were a big contributor to us getting blown out last year, Yates at least sustains drives and makes minimal mistakes

kalld12

Banned
Yates has certainly been better than I thought he would be, but the way some people in here are talking about him you would think we scored 5 touchdowns against Clemson instead of ...zero.

He’s been solid. I’d still rather us start Sims. Much higher ceiling imo. Has a much stronger arm and a better runner. Just has to hope he holds on to the ball.
If Yates starts game 1 we're 2-1 walking away from a 6 point loss to Clemson. The fact is with Sims, we'd probably be looking at 3+ more turnovers over the last two games and the Clemson game would look a hell of a lot worse. If were going to have any chance of winning 3-4 more games this year we CANNOT be careless with the football. Based off that, Yates provides us with the best chance moving forward. Till something changes, Sims can ride the pine.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
Because he made throws Yates simply can't and made plays with his legs that Yates can't. Yates does an admirable job keeping the ball in our possession, but we very rarely take any shots whatsoever down field and we call a much safer game. Many more hitches, slants, swing passes that make Yates' job a little easier. With Sims last year, the playcalling was much more open and risk taking. Sims was also a true freshman with NO spring practice at all. Yates is in his 3rd year in the system now, and those things make a difference.
Talk about throws that simply can't be made... I watched Yates process several different progressions and then hit a WR in stride about 25-30 yards down field perfectly placed between 3 Clemson defenders. Listen I like Sims I liked him last year but you can tale a noticeable difference in accuracy/pass progression/intangibles that Sims still isn't there yet in development. Sims wouldn't have made that play he must likely would've simple tucked in ran. He goes thru his progressions slower at this point and time and heck he has been inaccurate at times too. If you give Yates time in the pocket he will delivery passes in all 3 levels perfectly fine.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I hear what everyone says about Sims, and want to believe. But he simply hasn't shown it in games.

How many L's do we take before we decide that Yates is the better chance for W's? We already took one this year so far (imho).

I REALLY hope Sims is a great guy who bounces back and out-preforms Yates. I truly do. But it will take him out-preforming Yates for me to think he ought to start.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The numbers I ran myself were just the passing ratings, and they were the NCAA official formula with no adjustments. The ESPN numbers I pulled up later do include rushing and points, and are normalized on a 0-100 scale adjusted for strength of defense, but I'd also say that they're the ones that more people are looking at.

The "passing QBR" is more "how much did the QB contribute to winning in the passing game, while the ESPN one is more "how much did the QB contribute towards winning, period".

And I heartily disagree. Whenever I've heard of people comparing quarterbacks, they are normally talking about most passing yards, percentage completion and td/int ratios. These are the elements that make up the "PASSING QBR RATING".

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
200.gif

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Supposedly, Yates is six feet tall and at that height he should be able to see the middle of the field most of the time. He was rolling out against Clemson by necessity, or I should say, running for his life. The thing that limited our passing routes was the Clemson pass rush. With adequate blocking I think we would see him stand in the pocket and hit passes over the middle. Too much is made of height, IMO. Little Joe was at least two inches shorter than Yates and he stood back there and hit lots of passes over the middle. Unless the linemen are right in his face, he can see.
Maybe you're right. We've yet to see though.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How many L's do we take before we decide that Yates is the better chance for W's? We already took one this year so far (imho).

Yates played better agianst NIU than Sims, but he had a chance to lead us to a victory in that game and didn't. Would he have had he started the whole game? Maybe. We have no way of knowing. But he had the opportunity to do so. In the second half we started about like we started the first half with Sims. Punt, Downs, Punt in the second vs Downs, FGA, FGA in the first. Yates did have two nice TD drives (one at the end of the first half and then in the fourth), and a third was a short field TD off a turnover. He also had a drive into the redzone that stalled, and a 3 and out drive that could ice the game.

KSU was an FCS team

Against Clemson he got us 0 TDs. No he didn't turn it over and Sims might have, but not turning it over can't be enough.

Maybe Yates gives us the better chance to win. Or maybe it's just the better chance to lose by less. I'm sure he'll get his chance to show it if that's the case, but what happens if he keeps not turning the ball over but we keep not scoring enough points?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
To me the opposite is true. With a weak OL it’s going to be difficult to sustain drives. We need more big plays, which I think Sims can provide better than Yates. But that’s just my opinion.
For me it is about Yates making faster decisions and seeming to be more able to get guys into protection schemes on the fly presnap. Also the Turnover bug is sometimes just streaky and Sims needs to shake that before he can regain his role as QB1 in my opinion.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Yates played better agianst NIU than Sims, but he had a chance to lead us to a victory in that game and didn't. Would he have had he started the whole game? Maybe. We have no way of knowing. But he had the opportunity to do so. In the second half we started about like we started the first half with Sims. Punt, Downs, Punt in the second vs Downs, FGA, FGA in the first. Yates did have two nice TD drives (one at the end of the first half and then in the fourth), and a third was a short field TD off a turnover. He also had a drive into the redzone that stalled, and a 3 and out drive that could ice the game.

KSU was an FCS team

Against Clemson he got us 0 TDs. No he didn't turn it over and Sims might have, but not turning it over can't be enough.

Maybe Yates gives us the better chance to win. Or maybe it's just the better chance to lose by less. I'm sure he'll get his chance to show it if that's the case, but what happens if he keeps not turning the ball over but we keep not scoring enough points?
In 12 quarters of football, no offense has scored a TD on Clemson’s defense. Our offense under Yates put up more total yards (309) than UGA(256) or SC State(235). Yates also passed for more yards(203) than UGA(135) or SC State(132).

Sims has a lot going for him but I think it’s unlikely that we would have done any better with him against Clemson.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
You so cool man!

Huh. Well that's a happy accident. I was just making a joke and celebrating the fact that we have two QB's who might actually be good enough to have a controversy debate about. I certainly didn't mean to be cool. I'll work on that and try not let it happen again. Oh. Wait. You were being sarcastic. Gosh. I almost missed that too. Wow. Not my best day.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
All coaches say, "you can't lose your position if you are injured."
All players laugh out loud at that BS... Happens all the time on almost every team at every level...Think 1925 Wally Pipp for example....or, better, Tua over Hurts at Alabama
Transfer portal alert...
I have no idea how this situation we have at QB works out but I'm pretty sure one or the other is gone by Jan 1, 2022. Good QBs don't sit in these new times of player free agency.
I'm guessing Geoff goes back to Jeff...then Yates graduates in May (didn't he just get here? How is this possible?) and exits on friendly terms...
....and as Trucker said, this being Ga Tech, Yates becomes Joe Burrow someplace....

Yea I don't know why anyone gives that platitude any credence. It's just meaningless lip service. And for whatever reason it gets employed with quarterbacks more than any other position in football or in any other sport. If Sims has to miss two or three games and Yates tears it up in that time he should keep the job. Just gotta wait and see what happens.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yea I don't know why anyone gives that platitude any credence. It's just meaningless lip service. And for whatever reason it gets employed with quarterbacks more than any other position in football or in any other sport. If Sims has to miss two or three games and Yates tears it up in that time he should keep the job. Just gotta wait and see what happens.
It seems to me it should be applied less to QB's because far more than any other position, there are essential qualities required of a QB that can be best expressed under pressure in game situations. And an injury may be the only way the backup can see the field in anything but garbage time.