Jordan Yates

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree. But I do worry about the message to Sims. There is a danger to having someone lose their position when they are out for an injury. I was talking to the lovely lady who continues to stay at my house despite me, and we discussed if it makes sense to utilize the fact that we have two different good QBs to make it difficult to prepare for us. Are you prepping for Yates more California possession-based offense, or Sims big play offense? Maybe even have packages that utilize both.

And, I know, when you have two QBs you don't have a QB. But that's only true when it is...I think if the players are willing to do it there is no reason you couldn't have a Sims-Gibbs package and a Yates-Mason package.
The main issue I have with Sims is that he doesn't protect the football. We are not that dynamic on offense yet to be able to afford giving possessions away.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So much of playing quarterback is getting into a rhythm. I just don’t see how you do that going in and out. You also lose chemistry with the center and backs and then you have dissimilar cadences.
I agree but I also see Jerry’s point. Putting Sims back in after healing may be the “right” thing to do but I’d be very concerned about flopping after taking out Yates’ hot hand. That would take the wind out of my sails, for sure. Weighing things out like that is why CGC makes the big $$$.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like this is the real test of CGC's 'competition is king', no depth chart, no 'starters', team culture chatter.

My expectation would be for the coaches to be being open and honest with the all players on where they stand and why. If Sims is healthy and not playing it should be because the coaches can show him where he's not the best QB in the competition. And they need to show him what he needs to do to earn the opportunity to win back the job. Against NIU, he did not look ready.

I have no reason to think Sims isn't willing to compete. But Yates sat behind Lucas Johnson, Tobias Oliver, James Graham, Jeff Sims, stuck with the program, worked hard, competed, stayed ready and when he got an opportunity he showed out. It's Sims turn to commit to the process and wait for his opportunity to show he's ready to be the guy.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I feel like this is the real test of CGC's 'competition is king', no depth chart, no 'starters', team culture chatter.

My expectation would be for the coaches to be being open and honest with the all players on where they stand and why. If Sims is healthy and not playing it should be because the coaches can show him where he's not the best QB in the competition. And they need to show him what he needs to do to earn the opportunity to win back the job. Against NIU, he did not look ready.

I have no reason to think Sims isn't willing to compete. But Yates sat behind Lucas Johnson, Tobias Oliver, James Graham, Jeff Sims, stuck with the program, worked hard, competed, stayed ready and when he got an opportunity he showed out. It's Sims turn to commit to the process and wait for his opportunity to show he's ready to be the guy.
Heck yeah! Well said.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Yates needs to be the starter. Should not even be a discussion. The guy plays smart and doesn’t make mistakes. He puts up stats against the Clemson D, doesn’t give up big chunks of yards (throws ball away), no turnovers, runs ball when needed, and is accurate with his passes, but some are saying Sims should start. Huge mistake. We finally have a solid QB. Sims might be a great athlete but not necessarily a great QB.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yates needs to be the starter. Should not even be a discussion. The guy plays smart and doesn’t make mistakes. He puts up stats against the Clemson D, doesn’t give up big chunks of yards (throws ball away), no turnovers, runs ball when needed, and is accurate with his passes, but some are saying Sims should start. Huge mistake. We finally have a solid QB. Sims might be a great athlete but not necessarily a great QB.
Yeah, he's showing he has qualities that can only be fully expressed on the field in an actual game under pressure. He's shown he can do it and he's earned the job.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
You talk about folks hidden on the OL. I saw Lay in the game a few times. I know he filled in admirably last year during some injuries/COVID but you have to wonder why we are still playing walkons with a full compliment of scholarship OL available.
I think I saw Lay trot out onto the field on our first possession.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
yes, but the rule has always been you don’t lose your starting position to injury. So, when Sims is ready, expect to see both. Sims will have a short leash.
That "rule" didn't work out so well for Drew Bledsoe. His "backup" is still a starting QB today.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I'm still a bit confused how how Yates has looked SO much better than Sims . Yet I was not aware of how Yates was pushing Sims for time in last 1 1/2 yrs yrs.Did coach Pat miss something in practice? hmmm
Yates has come a LONG way. A real long way. He has not always had the composure he has been showing. After the spring game I posted that he had really improved and looked like a very legitimate #2. But prior to that he looked like a trainwreck: a spastic little dude running around and trying to do too much.

Yates has worked his tail off and knows the offense inside and out. Comments have been he is like another coach. His development is a real credit to both him and Coach P. And MO he is already better than he was vs. NIU.

Sims is probably a lot better than he showed before getting hurt.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The lost possession was a big deal in that game. If you’ll remember we needed more points to win. And yeah - it’s at least 50% on the QB, so he doesn’t get a free pass.
Agree no free pass, but that was in the 1st quarter and was not a big deal. There were other issues, like shanked punts that were much more important.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I agree it’s competition that will decide it. Mostly on the practice field, but some on the game field. As soon as Sims is healthy, he’ll get st least 2 series per half to show what he’s got. He will be on a short leash.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Any rumors about the extent of Sims injury, or when he is expected to be ready?

I agree that Yates has "won" the QB position for now. I also think CDP will return Sims as soon as he is healthy. I may be wrong about this, but CDP has been singing about Sims for two years now, and would look bad that his guy lost the starting position. I am intrigued to see how this all plays out.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
zc
Any rumors about the extent of Sims injury, or when he is expected to be ready?

I agree that Yates has "won" the QB position for now. I also think CDP will return Sims as soon as he is healthy. I may be wrong about this, but CDP has been singing about Sims for two years now, and would look bad that his guy lost the starting position. I am intrigued to see how this all plays out.
I may be wrong but I suspect that for these 2-1/2 games Jordan may have the best quarterback efficiency rating since the Goose and one of the games was against one of the top 5 defenses in the country. I think the QB job is his to lose.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Yates was cpjs QB of the future I think. Hes not as fast as jet not as strong as nesbitt but has tevins decision skills and a better arm. Wed have rode tobias for a season knight would have ended up a b back and tobias would have ended up and a with yates starting by sophomore year and it would have looked alot like 2014. But thats assuming they didnt rule change into oblivion. I think yates can do the same thing in this offense. An rpo offense is about knowing what to do with the balls making the right reads and having the ability to do it. Sims would honestly do better in . Vertical offense zone read offense. Think malzahn.

slugboy

Staff member
zc

I may be wrong but I suspect that for these 2-1/2 games Jordan may have the best quarterback efficiency rating since the Goose and one of the games was against one of the top 5 defenses in the country. I think the QB job is his to lose.
Here is the week 3 ESPN QBR:

Yates was 7th in the ACC last week, and 6th overall. Currently he has a QBR of 68. Tevin Washington’s career QBR was 71. Justin Thomas was 78.2 back in 2016.

Yates has the highest completion percentage I’ve seen on the flats in a while. Yardage is ok, but not many big plays yet. What he needs is points.