Jordan Mason Hype Thread

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It's odd how Howard has been passed up. Surprising to some extent.

I know what you mean, but the phrasing would be more accurate to say Mason beat out Howard. Mason was hurt last year and never got to show what he could do.

And just because Jerry was #3 doesn't mean he isn't good. I think the coaches are still quite high on Jerry. It's just when you have three guys who all can play it's harder to find PT for the third. Blocking, ball security, and pre-snap reads are all part of the equation.

Benson's injury sucks because he was special in his ability to find ways to get yards with both quickness/redirection and power. The blow is softened by having two guys who we know are better than just serviceable to take over the position.

This team has some depth to it on offense. If LJ hadn't gotten hurt it would have been better but at least Oliver is serviceable (at least in the run game).

Coachstick12

Georgia Tech Fan
Of course I am excited about him starting but hate that it comes at the expense of Benson getting injured. I guarantee Ponchez would rather have his teammate healthy and playing. There is no hype to Ponchez , he is one of the most humble young men I have had the pleasure to coach. Yes it was in baseball I know, but he is a hungry , self motivated young man. I have always gave him the "chicken wing arms" (watch after he scored first td) calling him a big chicken and he always comes through with something special. If anyone that is at the game tomorrow before the game can get his attention, give him one of those and watch the smile you get. Go Tech

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Thought this was an interesting post from another board. Curious to see everyone’s thoughts on Benson’s potential impact this year and the bright future for our BBs going into next year:

Here are the stat comparisons between KB's stats last year (2nd team All-ACC) and Mason/Howard this year:
2017 KB
Games: 11
Carries: 204
Yards: 1053
YPC: 5.2
YPG: 95.7
Stdev YPG: 49.4
TD: 6

2018 Mason/Howard
Carries: 195
Yards: 1159
YPC: 5.9
YPG: 105.4
Stdev YPG: 38.8
TD: 12

It seems Mason/Howard have slightly better stats on paper (although there are many factors that affect BB stats). I have been impressed by their blocking this year as well. I think KB brings more big play ability but I also think the Boom or Bust factor was one of the problems with last year's offense. It seemed like unless TM or KB ripped a big play we couldn't move the ball consistently. That Stdev YPG is a big indicator of the inconsistency. This year it seems more consistent which I think is key to beating UGA (getting big plays would be nice but will be hard to achieve on their D). If we can wear them out and burn the clock I think we have a chance. Either way, next year should be fun with KB back in the mix and Mason potentially moving back to AB.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Thought this was an interesting post from another board. Curious to see everyone’s thoughts on Benson’s potential impact this year and the bright future for our BBs going into next year:

Here are the stat comparisons between KB's stats last year (2nd team All-ACC) and Mason/Howard this year:
2017 KB
Carries: 204
Yards: 1053
YPC: 5.2
YPG: 95.7
Stdev YPG: 49.4
TD: 6

2018 Mason/Howard
Carries: 195
Yards: 1159
YPC: 5.9
YPG: 105.4
Stdev YPG: 38.8
TD: 12

It seems Mason/Howard have slightly better stats on paper (although there are many factors that affect BB stats). I have been impressed by their blocking this year as well. I think KB brings more big play ability but I also think the Boom or Bust factor was one of the problems with last year's offense. It seemed like unless TM or KB ripped a big play we couldn't move the ball consistently. That Stdev YPG is a big indicator of the inconsistency. This year it seems more consistent which I think is key to beating UGA (getting big plays would be nice but will be hard to achieve on their D). If we can wear them out and burn the clock I think we have a chance. Either way, next year should be fun with KB back in the mix and Mason potentially moving back to AB.

Not sure I completely agree with your analysis of KB. He has awesome leg drive which makes him hard to tackle. I think the differences relate to blocking/reads/play selection/random factors more than anything, although I'm not certain he will automatically return to clear #1 status next year either. I do think we'll see somebody move to AB given the depth at BB and losses at A for next year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Howard is bigger than Mason. Mason is faster than Howard.

I think they all stay bback. Kirvonte will be coming back from an serious injury, he won’t be the same for probably most of the season.

Both backs need to better finish. They have potential to break long runs more and are close to breaking often. A better passing game could help them more in breaking a long one too. It’ll come in time.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Howard is bigger than Mason. Mason is faster than Howard.

I think they all stay bback. Kirvonte will be coming back from an serious injury, he won’t be the same for probably most of the season.

Both backs need to better finish. They have potential to break long runs more and are close to breaking often. A better passing game could help them more in breaking a long one too. It’ll come in time.
Agree, I feel bad for KB, CPJ doesn’t know if he will even be ready to start practicing come October if I’m not mistaken. Hope he comes back healthy. However, I could see someone moving to Aback from Bback. We have Amerson coming in and possibly a guy who I think has the talent to be one of the top Bbacks in CPJ’s tenure, in Bangda. That’s a lot of guys at Bback and a lot of talent. We could use a bigger A back with in game experience next year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
None of those guys will have in game experience and will have to beat out both backs. I can see a qb moving before one of the bbacks. That’s if everyone stays in the program and there’s not any attrition.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind there is another BBack that redshirted this year that looks real good.

1 of the 4 should move to A Back and Mason has the best hands. It’s hard to believe that KB hangs up his cleats.

I wonder if a QB will move to ABack? 5 scholarship QBs may be 1to many. Spring will be real interesting.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Keep in mind there is another BBack that redshirted this year that looks real good.

1 of the 4 should move to A Back and Mason has the best hands. It’s hard to believe that KB hangs up his cleats.

I wonder if a QB will move to ABack? 5 scholarship QBs may be 1to many. Spring will be real interesting.

Christian Malloy?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If graham doesnt wi. The qb roll meaning yates is just that much better or lucas wins it out right it is highly highly possible that graham ends up at wr

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I kinda feel like the drop off in production from KB to Howard and Mason is pretty small. They all have slightly different styles of running but all can get the job done and if Mason and Howard weren’t splitting carries they would likely be in contention for All ACC like Benson last year. Would be really interested to see Malloy get some carries tomorrow too since it sounds like he’s been playing really well in practice.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
If graham doesnt wi. The qb roll meaning yates is just that much better or lucas wins it out right it is highly highly possible that graham ends up at wr

I don’t think CPJ would move perhaps the best athlete he’s ever recruited for the position and move him to another position. I highly doubt that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think CPJ would move perhaps the best athlete he’s ever recruited for the position and move him to another position. I highly doubt that.

CPJ moved him to WR already before Lucas got hurt. The point is that you want to put the best 11 on the field. If JG isn't in the top 3 at QB, then he'd likely be moved to WR.

With that being said, I would be surprised if JG isn't in the top 2/3 at QB.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
CPJ moved him to WR already before Lucas got hurt. The point is that you want to put the best 11 on the field. If JG isn't in the top 3 at QB, then he'd likely be moved to WR.

With that being said, I would be surprised if JG isn't in the top 2/3 at QB.

That’s cause three of the WR went down right before the season started. He would see much if any action at the position.

I agree with the last statement.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What does it say that CPJ was ready to burn JG's redshirt while not practicing at QB. Can we read anything into that possible decision?

I guess JG could have played year 1 as WR, redshirt year two at QB, and then allow him to possible start in year 3, 4, and 5 (if he beat out TO). Normally year 3 is the starting year right, like TW, Vad, JT, and TM?

And how does this fit in with retirement? Will CPJ stay for 2020 and the schedule from Hell?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
By the way I hope one QB is the smack diggity straight up monster of a QB that makes CPJ want to stay and win it all... although I am worried Sewak will continue...