Jon Rothstein Power Rankings

GT_EE78

Banned
Unfortunately I largely steeled myself against any expectations after Hewitt was fired and realizing how the buyout worked and then saw us hire Gregory (who is a great guy, but was a hire made primarily for financial purposes). Having to pay Hewitt 900K a yr for 8 yrs basically meant losing a decade of basketball.
Agreed.Something just didnt seem right about paying hewitt more "to not coach" than Gregory to coach ..pretty infuriating.
Gregory received a six-year, $6-million contract to coach at Georgia Tech, where the athletic program is saddled with heavy debt and further burdened by a $7.2 million buyout that Hewitt is owed over the next five years.Athletic director Dan Radakovich insisted money was not a limitation in his coaching search. more at http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=6265658

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately I largely steeled myself against any expectations after Hewitt was fired and realizing how the buyout worked and then saw us hire Gregory (who is a great guy, but was a hire made primarily for financial purposes). Having to pay Hewitt 900K a yr for 8 yrs basically meant losing a decade of basketball.

yep
every time I see that Austin Jackson guy from Texas (name,?)as a pro baseball player in a MLB game , I think of what a gamble Blewitt made on recruiting him for PG .He didn't get him( what a SHOCKER, duh with a million+ $ signing bonus.Blewitts program never really recovered.

StingU2

Jolly Good Fellow
yep
every time I see that Austin Jackson guy from Texas (name,?)as a pro baseball player in a MLB game , I think of what a gamble Blewitt made on recruiting him for PG .He didn't get him( what a SHOCKER, duh with a million+ $ signing bonus.Blewitts program never really recovered.

Actually Hewitt DID get him, Jackson was all set to play for GT until Steinbrenner made him an offer he and his family couldn't refuse... but don't let facts get in the way of your ridiculous rant.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually Hewitt DID get him, Jackson was all set to play for GT until Steinbrenner made him an offer he and his family couldn't refuse... but don't let facts get in the way of your ridiculous rant.

So he didn't really get him...

GT_EE78

Banned
So he didn't really get him...
He did actually sign him if my recollection is good. Hewitt blewitt by signing a guy that he knew (or should have known) was also considering a baseball career , without having an adequate backup plan for the GT point guard position.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

facts--ER, I didn't see Jackson play at GaTech, did you ? wow-I guess blewitt didn't "get him", did he? THAT IS A FACT!, .A guy told me he was one of the TOP baseball prospects in Tex (if not THE best)and was GOING to get a HUGE bonus to go baseball.Blewitt had no back-up plan for this OBVIOUS problem.. btw-read GT EE78 comment

StingU2

Jolly Good Fellow
facts--ER, I didn't see Jackson play at GaTech, did you ? wow-I guess blewitt didn't "get him", did he? THAT IS A FACT!, .A guy told me he was one of the TOP baseball prospects in Tex (if not THE best)and was GOING to get a HUGE bonus to go baseball.Blewitt had no back-up plan for this OBVIOUS problem.. btw-read GT EE78 comment

That's some serious revisionist history there little man... Austin Jackson was drafted in the 8th round, NO ONE knew Steinbrenner was gonna give him a million dollars not to attend college, giving a 8th round pick that kind of money had never been done before, so I guess Danny Hall blew it also since Jackson was committed to play baseball too?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
That's some serious revisionist history there little man... Austin Jackson was drafted in the 8th round, NO ONE knew Steinbrenner was gonna give him a million dollars not to attend college, giving a 8th round pick that kind of money had never been done before, so I guess Danny Hall blew it also since Jackson was committed to play baseball too?
Wow, "little man", are you PHs attorney or personal apologist? since Jackson didn't attend GaT and PH crumbled (taking us and our money with him) ,I guess the joke's on us .You can come up with your own reasons.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Wow, "little man", are you PHs attorney or personal apologist? since Jackson didn't attend GaT and PH crumbled (taking us and our money with him) ,I guess the joke's on us .You can come up with your own reasons.

I won't get into you and his 'little' beef but I will say that, at the time, Jackson getting that bonus was considered unusual. Losing him to the mlb at that time was definitely a development that was ... ahem ... out of left field.

See what I did there?