Jon Rothstein Power Rankings

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Top 10 for WF is awful ambitious IMHO. Doral Moore has yet to develop into his lofty potential. Brown will have to play very well for them to get there.

CruncheeSportz

Georgia Tech Fan
I think GT should be ahead of WF, NCSU, Clem.

All 3 of those teams lost big-time impact players w/out anyone assured of picking up the production. Also UVA at 9? Give me a Tony Bennett coached team all day over Miami (yes, i know their roster is loaded), Leonards unerachieving bunch, or a tired Cuse program.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think GT should be ahead of WF, NCSU, Clem.

All 3 of those teams lost big-time impact players w/out anyone assured of picking up the production. Also UVA at 9? Give me a Tony Bennett coached team all day over Miami (yes, i know their roster is loaded), Leonards unerachieving bunch, or a tired Cuse program.

I think Clemson could be realllllly good. But they should have been good last year. Elijah Thomas is a player.

I wouldn't sleep on NCST this year either. Markell Johnson played very well down the stretch for them. Al Freeman is eligible now, Dorn is decent and Yurtseven will probably play better. They will be interesting this year.

I am really not sold on UVA. Bennett is great but.....I dunno

slugboy

Staff member
I would think we would improve somewhat over last year, but Rothstein apparently doesn't.
We did have some luck on our side, though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lammers-Okogie might be one of the best 1-2 combos in the ACC. Lammers is certainly a top 5-10 center in the country. Okogie just might have a star year his 2nd season. Tadric can score, and he's going to be better in 2017-2018. That's a trio that could play for any ACC team.

Our issue is depth. We need Alvarado and Cole to be all that and a bag of chips. Haywood needs to be Mr Versatile and be able to guard and bring his hustle on D. Moore needs to take the next step in PG play. Lots of "needs" there, but having Lammers-Okogie-Tadric is a VERY good starting point for us.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This guy again? He must have learned off his highly educated prediction of us last year and now thinks 13 teams from the ACC will make the NCAA Tournament.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe it's like CPJ, where the team is perennially underrated. Or he's counting on regression.
If we play defense like last year, we're underrated now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW. His rankings there are based almost entirely on the relative talent of the teams.
L'ville will end up quite a bit lower due to the change in coaching.
NC ST getting Beverly eligible is a big help for them (most people don't realize they have 6 former 4 or 5 star HS players on that roster).

I would have put GT around 10th assuming it stayed healthy.
If you had told me before the season that Josh doesn't play until Jan and Ben will be playing at 60% or so, i'd say GT would be lucky to go .500 in the OOC.

GT way outperformed its talent and expectations last year, but it did a great job of winning some close games and staying healthy. Some of that is luck. Anything double figure wins last year would have made me satisfied. My thought this season was anywhere from 14-17 regular season wins (last season was 17 - 16 against Div 1 teams).

Given we are largely signing players that are not expected to be major contributors as FR it is yr 4 before I expect a true breakthrough. FWIW, that is what happened with both Cremins and Hewitt.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of the comments, including mine, are made out of pure frustration. It’s hard for me to believe that after this season it will be 8 years with no NCAA bid! (Assuming we don’t make it) To think I’m the previous 20 seasons we’ve only been 6 times is hard to fathom she unacceptable. I was a kid when GT started rolling in the mid 80’s to 90’s. Even when I moved to Michigan in 94 everyone knew what GT basketball was about. Now we are damn near irrelevant. That’s hard to accept.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of the comments, including mine, are made out of pure frustration. It’s hard for me to believe that after this season it will be 8 years with no NCAA bid! (Assuming we don’t make it) To think I’m the previous 20 seasons we’ve only been 6 times is hard to fathom she unacceptable. I was a kid when GT started rolling in the mid 80’s to 90’s. Even when I moved to Michigan in 94 everyone knew what GT basketball was about. Now we are damn near irrelevant. That’s hard to accept.

Definitely frustrating. It’s built for pretty much a decade and even the most patient of fan will get sick of that.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
FWIW. His rankings there are based almost entirely on the relative talent of the teams.
L'ville will end up quite a bit lower due to the change in coaching.
NC ST getting Beverly eligible is a big help for them (most people don't realize they have 6 former 4 or 5 star HS players on that roster).

I would have put GT around 10th assuming it stayed healthy.
If you had told me before the season that Josh doesn't play until Jan and Ben will be playing at 60% or so, i'd say GT would be lucky to go .500 in the OOC.

GT way outperformed its talent and expectations last year, but it did a great job of winning some close games and staying healthy. Some of that is luck. Anything double figure wins last year would have made me satisfied. My thought this season was anywhere from 14-17 regular season wins (last season was 17 - 16 against Div 1 teams).

Given we are largely signing players that are not expected to be major contributors as FR it is yr 4 before I expect a true breakthrough. FWIW, that is what happened with both Cremins and Hewitt.
I fully expected this year to not be as good in wins/losses as last years NIT run. We actually had several seniors that were crucial last year. I thought the evidence clearly suggested that the football team would be far less successful than the season before, as well. I don't like making negative seeming expectations public though so almost always stay out of "prediction" type discussions. But the influx of gnashing and wailing here lately is a bit much.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unfortunately I largely steeled myself against any expectations after Hewitt was fired and realizing how the buyout worked and then saw us hire Gregory (who is a great guy, but was a hire made primarily for financial purposes). Having to pay Hewitt 900K a yr for 8 yrs basically meant losing a decade of basketball.