Jeff Sims Reset?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sims vs Leonard isn't nearly the most hilarious QBR discrepancy:

The system was tweaked a few times after that. The complexity of the system leaves open the possibility weird results sometimes. Taking less sacks, not fumbling, performing better in "harder" situations, pressure on the QB, opposing defense strength, throwing longer passes in the air without many RAC yards, all affect these ratings.

Do you really think that ESPN would come up with an unpublished algorithm for a stat and publish it on their website with the intention of creating controversy and driving sports fans to talk about how wrong it is and flock to their website and TV programs to see what it is quantifying/predicting? I don't think they would ever do anything like that. ;)
Algorithm? It's a Chinese fire drill.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Sims vs Leonard isn't nearly the most hilarious QBR discrepancy:

The system was tweaked a few times after that. The complexity of the system leaves open the possibility weird results sometimes. Taking less sacks, not fumbling, performing better in "harder" situations, pressure on the QB, opposing defense strength, throwing longer passes in the air without many RAC yards, all affect these ratings.
Seems like they put too much emphasis on situational performance. He probably got points for the final game tying drive...But even taking that into consideration, Leonard wasn’t better. That drive was predominantly penalty yards and first downs. I think the analysts outsmarted themselves on this system

Squints

Helluva Engineer
jeff sims isn’t above criticism and his play in some games has been poor (although i do think people ignore what his legs bring to the table far too often) but it’s just funny how your post begins with “i have been done with sims” and then you trash him and end with “not an attack on sims just observations here guys” just doesn’t add up here lol
It adds up just fine if you actually read what op said. What they said was that they were done with Sims as a QB and that they weren't attacking Sims as a person. Pretty easy concept to concept to understand and honestly a pretty healthy way for fans to treat all athletes until they give you a reason to do otherwise.

Thus far, Sims hasn't lived up to the potential of his physical tools. It's not outrageous to point that out.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
As a fan that stuck with Reggie Ball till the very end, I would advise not to throw Sims under the bus yet. I saw Reg underperform and then the next week out of the blue look like he couldn’t miss. Take the wins as they come, sometimes And be thankful for them when they show up.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It adds up just fine if you actually read what op said. What they said was that they were done with Sims as a QB and that they weren't attacking Sims as a person. Pretty easy concept to concept to understand and honestly a pretty healthy way for fans to treat all athletes until they give you a reason to do otherwise.

Thus far, Sims hasn't lived up to the potential of his physical tools. It's not outrageous to point that out.
You are" Pointing out the obvious " as if there is some alternate.

The nil for top qb is about 1,000,000 if u have a good team. So lets double that for your plan to dump sims. Are u or is op paying? Do we send the invoice to your office or home address.?

Looking on rivals about same subject we see thier observations on the back ups qbs. . Rivals is saying that the Clemson transfer qb has issues, Zack P is not mobile , and the Akron guy doesn't have velocity.

Its kind of obvious we are stuck w Sims till he implodes.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

The nil for top qb is about 1,000,000 if u have a good team. So lets double that for your plan to dump sims. Are u or is op paying? Do we send the invoice to your office or home address.?

Looking on rivals about same subject we see thier observations on the back ups qbs. . Rivals is saying that the Clemson transfer qb has issues, Zack P is not mobile , and the Akron guy doesn't have velocity.

What the hell are you talking about? When did I say Sims should be dumped?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
His play the last two games were polar opposites - he played really poorly against Pitt, then was nearly perfect against Duke. We need him to keep doing what he did against Duke.
Well, he is the quarterback. You should know how that goes. They get too much of the blame and too much of the credit. If fans want to see Jeff play better, tell the line. They are the ones with the matador imitations way too often. Take care of the ball, run it when necessary, throw it on time and in stride to receivers, all of those things become easier when 300 lb defensive linemen are not bearing down on you fully intending to break every bone in your body. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That must mean UNC has a very bad defense bc in the head to head matchup w/ Duke I thought our guy was better than their guy fwiw.
I thought that Leonard looked impressive against Kansas and Northwestern when I was checking him out. Poised for a freshman, good arm, and could run well enough if needed but I was fooled by the competition and Leonard has the benefit of a better than usual Duke offensive line. I think Jeff's ceiling is higher but both of them need more help than they are likely to get in the near term so its sink or swim for both of them.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
As a fan that stuck with Reggie Ball till the very end, I would advise not to throw Sims under the bus yet. I saw Reg underperform and then the next week out of the blue look like he couldn’t miss. Take the wins as they come, sometimes And be thankful for them when they show up.
If the opponent was Auburn or Miami, Reggie was money in the bank along with more than a little smack talk going down as well. Clemson and UGA? Not so much. One play against Miami, Reggie took off for a run of ten yards or so and was viciously hit out of bounds...he came right back up with the jawing going nonstop between him and the defensive back until the official got between them. Good times.

kalld12

Banned

Who are you even addressing? You're just rambling making absolutely no sense.

SCjacket1

Banned
If the opponent was Auburn or Miami, Reggie was money in the bank along with more than a little smack talk going down as well. Clemson and UGA? Not so much. One play against Miami, Reggie took off for a run of ten yards or so and was viciously hit out of bounds...he came right back up with the jawing going nonstop between him and the defensive back until the official got between them. Good times.
Reggie Ball and good times don’t exactly go hand in hand.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how I feel about the comparison. Reggie had a much, much, much better supporting cast and still managed to woefully underachieve at times. How we only scored six points against Wake in ACCCG in 2006 with that OL, Choice and Calvin is criminal. Then again, how much was him vs. Pat Nix, who is probably the worst assistant coach at Tech, ever. Also, Reggie won 29 games over his four years on the flats. Sims will not even win half that unless he plays for five years Let me think about this.

JacketFan137

Banned
Not sure how I feel about the comparison. Reggie had a much, much, much better supporting cast and still managed to woefully underachieve at times. How we only scored six points against Wake in ACCCG in 2006 with that OL, Choice and Calvin is criminal. Then again, how much was him vs. Pat Nix, who is probably the worst assistant coach at Tech, ever. Also, Reggie won 29 games over his four years on the flats. Sims will not even win half that unless he plays for five years Let me think about this.
i think sims would match that win total if he was the qb with that gt roster. those teams actually had solid defenses if i remember correctly.