Jeff Sims Reset?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
He's a good runner and a not very good passer. It is what it is at this point. We can still win games with him as long as he keeps the turnovers down. Next year, well we will see what the new coach wants to do.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
We can call out a bunch of vacuum stats but when do we apply his grade multiplier for doing all this in under 2 seconds before he has to evade a sack?
Ok. I just posted his statistics. I agree the poor play of the OL is a mitigating factor. Having said that, outside of a few games over three years, he has not shown any ability to overcome that deficiency. His best game this year (by QBR) was against UCF where we scored 10 points.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Ok. I just posted his statistics. I agree the poor play of the OL is a mitigating factor. Having said that, outside of a few games over three years, he has not shown any ability to overcome that deficiency. His best game this year (by QBR) was against UCF where we scored 10 points.
I have to disagree with this. He’s made plays with his feet and made things happen for us all the time. Also there really aren’t many quarterbacks out there who do overcome bad OLs. All these Heisman hopefuls you hear about aren’t putting up their numbers after escaping the pocket every play. They usually just sit in the pocket and play pitch & catch, which Jeff has been good at for the most part when he’s had that luxury.

I will say you rarely see Jeff flushed out of the pocket and then start looking downfield. That would be a nice addition to his game - when he tucks the ball, he pretty much commits to the run.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree with this. He’s made plays with his feet and made things happen for us all the time. Also there really aren’t many quarterbacks out there who do overcome bad OLs. All these Heisman hopefuls you hear about aren’t putting up their numbers after escaping the pocket every play. They usually just sit in the pocket and play pitch & catch, which Jeff has been good at for the most part when he’s had that luxury.

I will say you rarely see Jeff flushed out of the pocket and then start looking downfield. That would be a nice addition to his game - when he tucks the ball, he pretty much commits to the run.
If what you said were true, then his QBR and our OFEI would be higher than what it is. I am not saying he is solely to blame, but he has not done much to overcome the bad line play, despite what your eyes are telling you.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sims has potential to be a GREAT player. As long as he is accurate and continues to not throw picks, (yep continues bc he hasnt thrown one since the WCU game) he should be fine. The Duke game was the best game i've seen out of him.
I wouldn't go so far as to say he's an accurate passer. Fewer dangerous passes in the Duke game, and I agree it was his best. He's been awfully lucky overall this season with the interceptions, though. I'm convinced he's better off to tuck it and run at the slightest opening. He's a solid runner and seems to have licked the fumbleitis that plagued him early in his college career. I see them trying to rip it out of there, and they can't. But it's an adventure when it's in the air. He's just inconsistent. Sometimes accurate, sometimes off, and sometimes downright dangerous and not in a good way. But he can get 100 yards a game easily on the ground. Needs to be throwing short, safe passes IMO. Especially with that OL.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The difference in the progress our guys (coaches and players) have made since CGC was fired is such a dramatic difference I'm still inclined to give Jeff Sims the benefit of the doubt. Keeping Thacker on as our DC was questioned, and rightfully so, but we see how well our defense has played since CGC was set free. So I'll withhold judgment for a bit longer.
I see why he's our starter, for sure. I just hope he's careful throwing that rock around out there. He improved IMO between Pitt and Duke.
Maybe we'll see more of that the further removed we get from The Former Guy.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
For about 1 1/2 years I've honestly been done with Sims as a QB. He has not been a good QB from ball security to touch to accuracy. As a fan base we fell in love with him, in my opinion, because he was the first true non-option QB, and we've glossed over his very blatant shortcomings because we so desperately wanted him to succeed (me too). Week to week we saw no improvement. The thought, "that's why FSU let him go" came to mind. His play these last two weeks haven't totally changed my mind, but given how inspired the team has played, I'm inclined to give him a lil more grace as we find out how he takes to better coaching. I dont know if what he lacks can be fixed this late in. Either way we need some better talent in here at QB.

Hate to be a buzz kill. I am rejuvenated with the wins but I'm still looking at the big picture.
I didn't take this as an attack at all. In fact I read it the opposite way, which I think is how you meant it. I took it as saying that even though you've been down on him you're seeing enough good things to have an open mind. Good post, to me.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Technically, b/c of COVID. I get it, but it doesn't change much. Years served counts more than time remaining to me if the needle isn't moving in his development. If anything it may prevent recruits from coming if they see a guy who's been the starter still here with more time to play and undying loyalty from the coaches.
Understand. Wasn’t sure whether you were commenting about whether he would never get it or that he’d get it about the time he leaves.

slugboy

Staff member
Here are the QBR numbers (ESPN). The rank doesn't matter as much as "are you over 70 or 75". It's not opponent-adjusted either, so some of these QBs and offenses are going to hit some harder competition.

These are the season numbers. The numbers you want are either Riley Leonard and above or DJ Uiagalelei and above. You don't want the Tyler Van Dyke and below numbers.

NAMEQBR
Drake Maye UNC
88.1​
Jordan Travis FSU
78.2​
Sam Hartman WAKE
77.4​
Malik Cunningham LOU
76.6​
Garrett Shrader SYR
76.3​
DJ Uiagalelei CLEM
76.3​
Riley Leonard DUKE
72.8​
Tyler Van Dyke MIA
56.7​
Devin Leary NCST
52.2​
Grant Wells VT
49.8​
Jeff Sims GT
46.1​
Kedon Slovis PITT
44.9​
Brennan Armstrong UVA
42.5​
Phil Jurkovec BC
36.8​

Here are the stat lines from the Duke game:

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Jeff Sims23/34
227​
6.7​
2​
0​
47​
Riley Leonard20/41
136​
3.3​
1​
1​
49​

Neither QB crushed it in that game. Our defense held Riley Leonard 24 points below his normal standard. That rocked.

Sims can be really great, and some of it is on his OL and receivers, but the numbers on offense aren't great. Here are some other stats. What Sims DID do was make the plays that mattered. His big plays through the air helped win the game more than he did running.
Leonard, on the other hand, had an INT that really hurt and a key interception when they needed the first down. So, for the same QBR and basic stat line, Sims had much more impact.
There's more than one way to look at the game and the stats. Sims and the offense definitely need to play better, but he was a lot more "clutch" than Slovis or Leonard were.

Stat lineYards/playEPA/playEPASRWPA
Dropbacks
Jeff Sims22/32, 228 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT, 1 Sck, 45.5 xQBR, 0.38 DETMER
6.91​
0.08​
2.6​
48%​
14.00%​
Riley Leonard20/41, 136 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 3 Scks, 36.9 xQBR, 0.68 DETMER
3.09​
-0.27​
-11.7​
30%​
-10.00%​
Rush attempts
Jeff Sims15 carries, 96 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)
6.4​
0.21​
3.13​
60%​
6.00%​
Riley Leonard6 carries, 36 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)
6​
0.78​
4.66​
100%​
7.00%​

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Given the turnaround that CBK has started and the immediate difference TPO's removal has made on the team, I find it impossible to hold Sim's past against him. As far as I'm concerned, it's a clean slate and he's starting fresh.

Sims has all the physical tools - massive arm, great speed, great size. My hope is that he receives the proper structure and training to be successful. He seems like a good kid and GT's success is directly tied to his success.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Decision making is improving for sure. Think Weinke and Long are helping, as well as just accumulated experience. Has more consistent footwork.

Also think some receiving threats are emerging in McCollum and Blackburn.

Protection is still pretty iffy. Line needs to keep improving.

But yeah, seems like Sims is starting to get better.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't go so far as to say he's an accurate passer. Fewer dangerous passes in the Duke game, and I agree it was his best. He's been awfully lucky overall this season with the interceptions, though. I'm convinced he's better off to tuck it and run at the slightest opening. He's a solid runner and seems to have licked the fumbleitis that plagued him early in his college career. I see them trying to rip it out of there, and they can't. But it's an adventure when it's in the air. He's just inconsistent. Sometimes accurate, sometimes off, and sometimes downright dangerous and not in a good way. But he can get 100 yards a game easily on the ground. Needs to be throwing short, safe passes IMO. Especially with that OL.
yep--" he's been awfully lucky this season"--I keep seeing that FIRST pass vs pitt that was a ready made pic-k-6 and was missed by them..WHAT a difference that would have been for that game and really dook also and KEY and his chances.. In fact there have been several "almost" picks in the last 2 games.He's got to do better--both in completions and errant throws.He is our big offensive threat..

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here are the stat lines from the Duke game:

C/ATTYDSAVGTDINTQBR
Jeff Sims23/342276.72047
Riley Leonard20/411363.31149

Okay, here's something I don't get at all. Why is Leonard's QB rating higher than Sims' rating for the Duke game? It doesn't make any sense to me. Sims completed over 2/3 of his passes and Leonard less than half. Sims had 2 TDs to Leonard's 1 and no interceptions to Leonard's 1 int. Sims threw for nearly twice the yardage. Yet Leonard had a QB rating higher than Sims. Is that rating accurate?

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
but then keeps dumping on him in subsequent posts.
Again, not dumping on him. My opinion is built on what we've all experienced. That cannot be changed. I've stated repeatedly in my posts that I hope he proves me wrong and that I'm rooting for him. If you're stuck on the fact that I've brought up his history and what it's meant for our results on the field, sports blogs might not be for you. It is here that we discuss the past, hope for the future.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Based on what I have seen in the games, I believe it comes back to how we have been operating in practice. He has all the physical ability and some real zip on the ball. He also stares down his primary target including passes to the back in the flat almost every play. The linebackers and dbs break to right where he is looking. You can see it both in person and on tv. Even before the game, the qb drills are locked onto their targets - all of them and not just Sims. We don't practice looking anyone off or this would not happen.

I really hope this is one of the things that is addressed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Again, not dumping on him. My opinion is built on what we've all experienced. That cannot be changed. I've stated repeatedly in my posts that I hope he proves me wrong and that I'm rooting for him. If you're stuck on the fact that I've brought up his history and what it's meant for our results on the field, sports blogs might not be for you. It is here that we discuss the past, hope for the future.
Please listen to other posters = sims has had injured ol, slow receivers, a oc that featured gibbs, and a goofy hc.

Yea, he has had some really sucky games and is slow at reading the defenses.

Just let it go please.