Jeff Sims' First Collegiate Game

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
I’m 20. This is the first time in my life I’ve seen a Tech QB drop back and not have my heart sink. Thomas was money, but knowing the passes in that offense was go big or go home was always so worrying. It was like I was not watching Tech Saturday. Something I’ve never seen before...

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Packer and Durham raved about Jeff Sims today. They had a former clemson QB on and he said he was trying not to get to excited about him even by mid season and tech has a bright future.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m 20. This is the first time in my life I’ve seen a Tech QB drop back and not have my heart sink. Thomas was money, but knowing the passes in that offense was go big or go home was always so worrying. It was like I was not watching Tech Saturday. Something I’ve never seen before...

I'll keep saying it, but Jeff Sims is showing us the difference between an elite QB playing QB and an elite athlete playing QB. Passes that look routine and QBs should make the vast majority of times (Sims completion percentage was close to 68%), we struggled mightily with in the past or just didn't see them. Those short and intermediate passes keeps our offense on the field and create manageable 3rd down situations. Totally different feeling with Sims at QB...we're not holding our breath on pass plays.

Our staff became a bit conservative inside the red zone, and I wonder if that's because maybe Sims is prone to force things down there. I'd like to see our coaches roll him out and give him a 1-2 read then run option in the red zone. Sims can do damage with his legs if the reads aren't there, and it forces defenses to commit defenders giving us more space in the defensive backfield.

It's going to be fun to watch Sims develop over the years. His arm and legs make the defenses have to defend the entirety of the field. That's gonna give our coaches the entire playbook to work with.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
Our staff became a bit conservative inside the red zone, and I wonder if that's because maybe Sims is prone to force things down there. I'd like to see our coaches roll him out and give him a 1-2 read then run option in the red zone. Sims can do damage with his legs if the reads aren't there, and it forces defenses to commit defenders giving us more space in the defensive backfield.

Great point, CDP may not have full confidence in his red zone game yet. As you and many on here know, those windows are tighter and the decisions are quicker down there.

Hopefully it’s a stronger part of his skill set than was showcased Saturday. We simply haven’t seen enough yet to know. A couple things that give me hope for his red zone ability:

-First he snaps off quick passes decisively and with velocity.

-his height will be an great asset down there

-he threw a really good, catchable jumpball to Malachi (respect to Sims/Malachi but defense was a little suspect on that play)

-the throw he made down the seam to Jalen in the first half was a great read, a little off target, but it was one of those ‘if they ain’t looking, they’re open kind of throws’ that most NFL QBs make to their TEs down the seam around the 15 or 20 yd line.

-and as you mentioned his legs. Read options. Move the pocket with the choice to pull it down if things aren’t there.

When a QB is money in the red zone, watch out. Hopefully he has it already or develops it.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Scubapro

Banned
I'll keep saying it, but Jeff Sims is showing us the difference between an elite QB playing QB and an elite athlete playing QB. Passes that look routine and QBs should make the vast majority of times (Sims completion percentage was close to 68%), we struggled mightily with in the past or just didn't see them. Those short and intermediate passes keeps our offense on the field and create manageable 3rd down situations. Totally different feeling with Sims at QB...we're not holding our breath on pass plays.

It's going to be fun to watch Sims develop over the years. His arm and legs make the defenses have to defend the entirety of the field. That's gonna give our coaches the entire playbook to work with.
I think Sims is still getting used to the speed of the game...there was at least one zone read play optioning off of the D end. Sims should have kept it but he hesitated bc the defender was there in an instant. Had he pulled the ball he would still be running. I think he will get there in a game or two.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if that is any good for recruiting going forward?:sneaky::unsure::rolleyes::)

It's gonna be a LOT easier for our coaches to get into living rooms with elite QB recruits. There's film now of what our offense does, and can do, with a top level QB. Sims still hasn't been let loose...so when it's all put together, there will be a lift all boats effect with Sims and recruiting. Not just QBs, but skill guys and OLs.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if anyone has noticed or commented on this but I rewatched the highlights today (for like the 1734th time) and I noticed on Sims first pick, that throw would’ve been on the money if he could have put more air under it. At least that’s my view but I could be wrong. When he polishes up, this dude is going to be KILLER.

(Obviously.)

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Not sure if anyone has noticed or commented on this but I rewatched the highlights today (for like the 1734th time) and I noticed on Sims first pick, that throw would’ve been on the money if he could have put more air under it. At least that’s my view but I could be wrong. When he polishes up, this dude is going to be KILLER.

(Obviously.)
Yeah it was a really tough throw, on the move, and into traffic. Not something he needed to force. That said, I can't over state my enthusiasm for the game he played and the potential he should have as he continues to get live reps.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah that first throw was a duck, no bones about it. He was running to his right and throwing, didn’t have a chance to set his feet

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Finally. After 40 minutes and a piece on the sun belt and a piece on old Big10 highlights from this week 20 years ago. I was starting to wonder if they would even bother to show highlights of actual games played
I wonder why they showed all that Big Ten crap? To help with their recruiting? It was totally unnecessary.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

(Obviously.)
the other dude was wide open on first pick, I think it was Camp

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Camp was open underneath but the Safety baited Sims that throw. Stayed over top of Camp until Sims let it go. Sims thought the safety was coming down.

He needed to manipulate the defense with his eyes. He telegraphed where the ball was going and got baited. A better throw might have turned it into a PBU or 50/50 ball at best.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Camp was open underneath but the Safety baited Sims that throw. Stayed over top of Camp until Sims let it go. Sims thought the safety was coming down.

Samuel broke off his man and released to the safety and it freed him up to make the play over the top once he realized Sims was passing the ball toward the near sideline.

Just a veteran play by Samuel understanding what all was going on. Sims had a very small window before Samuel released his guy, and it would have been a tough throw. Samuel is future 1st round pick...his dad was an NFL DB.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Both of the interceptions were poorly thrown balls. Not a criticism, just an observation. Neither would have been caught by the received had the defender not been there. Both would have been touchdowns had he thrown it better. The first one was underthrown. The receiver had the defender beaten but the underthrown ball went straight to Samuels standing there. The second was behind the streaking receiver who had beaten his man and straight to the flat-footed Samuels.

These are things to work on during film review. A ton of great throws made. He had one that was back across the field that was a laser. Very dangerous pass at this level because most college kids don't have the arm strength and confidence to zip that ball in there. I was impressed with his arm strength.