Jeff Sims' First Collegiate Game

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Thought Sims was phenomenal. I counted 4 really bad mistakes but those can get ironed out with more snaps and film sessions. The bright spots are more important at this point...winning is just gravy on top of that. I did think he took some blind guesses on read options and he has an inkling to tuck the ball and run when he moves out of the pocket (whereas I'd like to see him look downfield for options when that happens).

Overall, super happy with his performance and happy to continue moving forward with him. It's only up from here.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I had high hopes but he exceeded my expectations. The thing that stood out to me most was his demeanor.

He looked like a seasoned vet with how he carried himself and never once looked shaken.

Good pocket presence and awareness, knew where the first down marker was when he broke the pocket (this was a struggle last year), and accuracy that exceeded my expectations.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I love him did not get upset just keep playing

This. So much this. We talk about 'poise in the pocket' - this kid has poise on the field.

The mistakes he made were freshman mistakes. They're going to happen. As Geoff Collins told one of the announcers, best to let him get it out of his system in this weird year so he's got 4 more years to ball. I'm glad he's making them now, and is not letting them affect him. He's acting like a leader, and (I get the sense) he's learning from those mistakes, and will continue to improve.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
He exceeded mine. Mostly because of the command and poise he had like others have said. I didn’t expect that. His decision making has to get better, and several of his throws we’re off target but thats pretty much expected for a true freshman. It may cost us a game or two this year but by the time he gets it ironed out, he is going to be hard to deal with. Hard to imagine the coaches didn’t make the right decision. The kid is going to be special.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well … one decent game doth not a season make. He was lucky that he didn't ruin his performance with the mistakes he made.

Oth, he's a freshman. You sorta expect them to screw up, especially in their first game, and he actually turned in a decent performance. That dropped pick-six could have changed many perceptions about him, but them's the breaks. I thought he stood in there pretty well and threw well too. Qudos to the coaches for giving him game plan he could execute.

I see a good, perhaps great, future for him at Tech.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I stand corrected. Our guy showed up tonight and (so far as I can tell demanded the role).
We improved in every phase (minus ST) and I am so exited.

Special teams needs to get woken the heck up. My goodness they were so bad. Punt return, field goals were actually factually terrible.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He looks the part. I was pleasantly surprised to see what he looked like out there. Big guy, looks like a grown man already. He has a lot of God given talent and if he can remain humble, he has a chance to one of the best ever to play the position at Georgia Tech. I think Graham needs to think about switching positions and Gleason and Yates need to settle who is the backup and the last man out should think about transferring.

Go Jackets!