Jeff Sims' First Collegiate Game

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think his cool and leadership surprised me most. Also impressed by his running ability at the college level. He won't run away from guys in the open field, but he was able to pick up chunks when he had the opportunity and escaped pressure many times. Really kept his focus and intensity despite the mistakes. He's got the mental tools to grow from them it seems.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
How did he play compared to your expectations? He exceeded mine, despite the mistakes that I'm sure he wishes he had back. He extended plays, picked up much needed first downs, and was willing to take some hits to extend drives.
Exceeded. We found our QB. Mistakes are expected. The Noles have a solid D Line. He showed poise, pocket awareness, situational awareness, knowing the line to gain on a couple of running plays. He spread it around, found the right receivers.

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
That was one of better d-lines he will see this year. I was impressed overall at his accuracy his foot work in the pocket look smooth and throwing motion is quick and he delivered good catchable balls. The Ints were mostly bad decisions which you learn from but hes a competitor for sure and think of what he could be in 2-3 years.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I did not expect Sims to start, although it didn't suprise me he ended up doing so. I definitely did not expect him to outplay FSU's QB at FSU in his first start. I thought the staff would bring him along slowly. When a player is so good you have to put him on the field because you hurt the team if you don't, then you put him on the field. I suspect that's what happened with our QB competition.

BTW...get ready for the Jeff Sims hype machine to get rolling. He strings together games like this over the next few games it could get insane around North Avenue. That's good for our program and recruiting.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims is good. Seems remarkably poised for his age and inexperience at this level. I think the future is really bright with him. Honestly, one of my potential worries is if we can get good enough as a team to keep him here his entire collegiate career, and an elite level program not tempt him to transfer.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Mr Jeff Simms. What can I say?

Poised. Stepped into the pocket. When no receiver, ran the ball inside the defensive end. Good chunks of running yardage.
Did not appear to get rattled. Managed the offense and team responded. Quick release and accurate on most passes. Couple of mistakes.
Very impressed by Mr Jeff Simms!

And I must admit. I picked Graham to start. (y)

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some guys always struggle with ”seeing the field” or “getting their eyes locked onto a receiver” without seeing the cover guys. If the coaches can work on his vision and decision making, I believe we may be looking at the best QB we’ve seen since Joe and with a higher ceiling. Seemed cool as a cucumber the entire game.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I went in assuming that no matter who started tonight we would likely see others get a chance to see what we have and we have a real starter until game 3 or 4. I leave completely convinced Sims is our starter. He just seems so calm in the pocket and made several good decisions to tuck it and run but didn't seem to do so too quickly like many guys do. Looks like the INTs didn't phase him at all in terms of his poise and honestly outside of those two and the should have been third, I don't have any complaints. This was a far better game than I expected from whoever won the job, and a big shout out goes to our OL for giving him time to work with.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Some guys always struggle with ”seeing the field” or “getting their eyes locked onto a receiver” without seeing the cover guys. If the coaches can work on his vision and decision making, I believe we may be looking at the best QB we’ve seen since Joe and with a higher ceiling. Seemed cool as a cucumber the entire game.

A lot of it is trust. Must trust the OL is going to protect you. His awareness is pretty damn good though ... watching tonight ... so he should work to use those two things to improve his decision making.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
He definitely exceeded my expectations. It's not that I had low expectations. I just didn't expect that he would be so poised so quickly and I didn't know if he would shake off the freshman mistakes I knew he was going to make at times. But I had told myself, and others, that I was (and still am) prepared to deal with freshman mistakes without getting down on him. I think he's got tremendous potential and I hope he can continue to grow from here.