Jeff Sims Film Review

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They didnt want to see him get knocked out of the game with no quality backup to replace him i‘m guessing. I agree with you his running is fantastic
Probably the best running quarterback in the history of the Institute. Better than Shawn Jones, Joe Hamilton or anyone you care to name but that does not mean he is a better quarterback. He still has a long way to go. He is just so elusive in a different sort of way than Shawn who was big, fast, and could juke or Joe Ham who was a jitterbug with a low center of gravity. Jeff is smooth as silk and slips through cracks like smoke escaping from a radiator. "Smoke" ought to be his nickname or "Smoove" like Johnson's quarterback in the Orange Bowl. What was his name? Damn, this is ridiculous. I can recall Shaw Jones from 30 years ago and not someone from 5? "Sometimers" I suppose.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
One thing that stuck out to me about Sims after he committed to GT was an interview he did. After watching his film in which he was very dynamic I expected a flashy personality. Instead he was very Nesbitt-like: direct, grounded, and unpretentious. I could tell he was a worker and very serious about his craft. I came away thinking this is a really solid, grounded individual.

This season I liked his mental make up. He made mistakes and/or had unfortunate things happen and for the most part he seemed to let them go and come right back out without letting emotions torpedo him.

I have no idea how good he will be, or how soon he will get there. It's a lot easier to learn to go through your progressions when you have time. It's a lot easier to step into your throws with time. IMO the cast of characters around him is going to get better, and that will help him get better. Saying he has a 60% chance of being better than Joe Hamilton (who was the best player in CF, sorry Ron Dayne) is unrealistic. Comparing him to generational talents (Howell, Lawerence) who lit things up their freshman years while surrounded by better casts of characters is unrealistic.

I think his running ability props up his floor as a QB significantly. Two things surprised me about him as a runner. First, he was WAY more physical as a tr-fr than I imagined. Second his vision and savy as a runner are really impressive. I knew he was elusive but when you add the physicality & vision….I mean the dude can flat out run the ball. He is going to drive some defenses insane running for first downs when everything is covered and he should be dead-to-rights. He also throws well on the run, keeps his eyes downfield, and is learning when to go for the completion v.s. living to fight another day. He has the ability to create on his own.

Passing I like his pocket presence although I'd like to see more sensing pressure and sliding/shuffling around in the pocket while staying square/keeping eyes downfield. Arm strength seems adequate for a P5 QB. His release is probably above average. He's had a lot of pressure on him this year so it's hard to see whether his accuracy could improve with more time and the development of better footwork. As others have said, recognizing defenses and going through progressions will have a lot to do with his ceiling as a passer, along with improving consistency, accuracy, and limiting of mistakes. Leadership and mental toughness are x-factors, but so far so good.

I see Sims having "a nice little career" at GT that most will be happy with. I do think he has a high ceiling that could be realized if he is able to develop and be consistent. So all in all I feel pretty good with what we have in him.
His father may have a lot to do with that. He was interviewed on TV and came across as a parent with high standards but one that cares about his son. Jeff will be a great one if he is given some tools to work with starting with a better offensive line and some receivers who can get open.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably the best running quarterback in the history of the Institute. Better than Shawn Jones, Joe Hamilton or anyone you care to name but that does not mean he is a better quarterback. He still has a long way to go. He is just so elusive in a different sort of way than Shawn who was big, fast, and could juke or Joe Ham who was a jitterbug with a low center of gravity. Jeff is smooth as silk and slips through cracks like smoke escaping from a radiator. "Smoke" ought to be his nickname or "Smoove" like Johnson's quarterback in the Orange Bowl. What was his name? Damn, this is ridiculous. I can recall Shaw Jones from 30 years ago and not someone from 5? "Sometimers" I suppose.
Justin Thomas

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Justin Thomas
Yep. Another great one. Competitive almost to a fault and he had some wheels on him as well. You can win a lot of ball games with quarterbacks like Shawn Jones, Justin, Joe Ham, and Jeff provided you give them the tools to work with. Jones and Hamilton had some ball players to help them out. Can you imagine what Jeff could do with Kelly Campbell, Dez White, and that line Joe Ham had? Not to mention, Ed Wilder to block for you.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow

How about "Pick"? Cause he's as slim as a toothpick......and he has thrown several INTs.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like the positive projections for Sims and think they are 2/3rds likely to be right.

Sims is the only QB with meaningful snaps this year so I hope the positivity is right.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Probably the best running quarterback in the history of the Institute. Better than Shawn Jones, Joe Hamilton or anyone you care to name

Jeff is good in the open field. Not necessarily good at choosing when to run or at finishing runs. I've seen Jeff get KILLED because he doesn't have enough "wiggle' at the end of runs. I've seen Jeff slide when he needed to get the extra yard for a first down. Also, he doesn't necessarily choose his spots well. On 4th and 20 towards the end of a game (for instance) you have to take the shot throwing the ball unless there's a wide open field to run in. I guess what I'm saying is that while he may be fast and elusive, he's not strong on the situational aspects of running the football. Hopefully, he shows improvement there.

Certainly, there is precedent. Joe Ham wasn't the consensus choice to start at QB until part way through his sophomore year. After that, he became the consensus choice to start on the all-time GT team...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
How about "Pick"? Cause he's as slim as a toothpick......and he has thrown several INTs.
Do you think that his listed height and weight are truthful? He is listed at 6'3" 215 lbs. I don't think that is necessarily toothpick slender but who knows if those are his true measures. He is graceful in stride like a deer but as Drees2 has pointed out he is not good at "finishing runs" which I would interpret as knowing where the sticks are and getting the first down. His situational awareness could use some improvement maybe it will come with experience.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Serious question because I’m too young to remember Shawn Jones. But in looking at his career rushing stats, it says he had a career 2.2 YPC. That can’t be right, can it? Are they counting sack yardage against him (they don’t count it against QBs now)?

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Serious question because I’m too young to remember Shawn Jones. But in looking at his career rushing stats, it says he had a career 2.2 YPC. That can’t be right, can it? Are they counting sack yardage against him (they don’t count it against QBs now)?

I'm pretty sure sack yardage has always (and today) counted against the rushing total in college FB.

By the way, those stat's are amazing. It has been 30ish years since Shawn played, but I'd have told you all of his numbers were much better than shown there. I'm in disbelief that his career completion % was in the low 50's and that he had just as many int's as TD's. The guy was good for 3 years and amazing for one. In that one, he completed <60% of his throws.

Next thing you know, someone's gonna pull up a stat that Joe Ham completed less than 98% of his passes.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Sims will be our first QB drafted since... who I dont even know? Joe?
Andy Hall transferred to Delaware, and played in the NFL for a few years. I think he's the most recent QB who went through Tech to go to the NFL as a QB.

JoeHam played for a few years at Tampa as a backup.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Sure, he had a lot of sacks because they were off play action with a delay type running play they used which was slow developing but devastating when it worked. Shawn was a good quarterback but tended to sometimes be erratic. He needed a good supporting cast to be effective. Like Joe Hamilton, he was a dual threat quarterback but did not have Joe's vision and passing ability. Didn't have Ed Wilder to block for him either along with receivers like Dez White and Kelley Campbell.

Tadams6599

Jolly Good Fellow
Joe Ham was the truth, some guys you just want the ball in their hands with the game on the line, he was one. Here is to hoping through the growing pains Jeff becomes that guy. He has the athleticism for sure and seems willing to put in the work.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think you are right and they are simply too scared of what will happen. He's 6'3", 215 (unless they are - heaven forbid - lying to us); he isn't going to be knocked out of a game without a monster hit. He could be another Alex Smith if he got the chance. You never have a comparable QB in backup anyway; that's why he's starting.
Like the one he received from behind at the end of the PU game? I think(guessing) that he went into concussion protocol and that is why we had to ex the Miami game.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Do you think that his listed height and weight are truthful? He is listed at 6'3" 215 lbs. I don't think that is necessarily toothpick slender but who knows if those are his true measures. He is graceful in stride like a deer but as Drees2 has pointed out he is not good at "finishing runs" which I would interpret as knowing where the sticks are and getting the first down. His situational awareness could use some improvement maybe it will come with experience.
I think those measurements were accurate last January.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that Sims is going to be future and that CGC has hooked his wagon to Sims. I just don’t think Sims is the QB to lead us back to a winning program. I don’t think he can constantly make the throws needed to beat teams. I didn’t see much improvement in terms of accuracy. I saw too many throws that the WR couldn’t even get a finger on the ball. A lot of throws that were caught were thrown short, wrong shoulder, or WR had to make a really good catch. I’m concerned that Norvell might have made the right call in pulling the offer. Really hope I’m wrong, but I think we will have an answer by 2022.
Hamilton wasn't accurate his freshman year. Norvell messed up big time.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Andy Hall transferred to Delaware, and played in the NFL for a few years. I think he's the most recent QB who went through Tech to go to the NFL as a QB.

JoeHam played for a few years at Tampa as a backup.
And I hated that the play by play guys in Tampa always referred to him as "Little Joe"....

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
it does look like he threw the ball late but in looking at your post I see the route trees are out of alignment for the play. He has an open throw on the hash however the WR to the top looks like he’s running a route that’s something between a cross and a post. Either way he’s bringing his cover into the throwing lane on the seam route. Had that WR ran an out or simply a fly the safety isn’t anywhere around the hash WR and it’s a 80 yard TD rather than a pick.
Looks to me like a "Yankee" concept, which is normally a middle hi-lo on the FS (ideally if you have 8 in the box). (It's a variant on the old Steve Spurrier "Mills" concept, just from both sides of the field)

The low WR is supposed to get between the dropping LB's and the secondary, while the high WR looks to hit the post over the top. The read is the FS's hips. I actually think this is the wrong throw from Sims. Yes you read deep to shallow, and if deep is there you take it, but both safeties had bailed their hips, which means the low WR was going to settle behind the backers for an easy 10 yard gain, plus any YAC.