Jeff Sims Film Review

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Beautiful analysis. When people say he’s not progressing I have to ignore because their football acumen probably isn’t high. He’s played some serious defenses all year as a TRUE Freshman.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Beautiful analysis. When people say he’s not progressing I have to ignore because their football acumen probably isn’t high. He’s played some serious defenses all year as a TRUE Freshman.

I didn't really think those 2 picks against Pitt were his fault and he has had several more this year that were just unfortunate. Obviously, he made freshman mistakes throughout the year, but he is so talented and he did progress throughout the year. Sims has an extremely bright future.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I have said this before but he also did not have a spring and summer. That is hundreds of reps he missed to learn and build chemistry with receivers. He is having to learn a lot more than normal during the games. He was definitely drinking from a fire hose. A full spring and offseason will be good for his development.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I did not read it. You cannot evaluate ANY quarterback that is in a "Chuck and Duck" offense. When he actually is not running for his life then he can be properly evaluated. Jeff Sims is the least of this program's many concerns.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for posting the break down.

To me, the last sentence of the article is the most important.
On the flip side, Sims has a wide open receiver on the wheel route that could turn into an even bigger play. Working through his progressions is something he will have to do better to take the next step as a quarterback
Obviously this comes with more reps and understanding the playbook more. If you pair this with a cleaner pocket for Sims to work in next year, we could be cooking with peanut oil.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Overall I liked what I saw from Simms this year. Some good and some bad. Should be expected from a true freshman QB. There’s a reason most true freshman quarterbacks don’t start from Day 1. It’s not an easy task.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The biggest problem Sims had early in the year were the turnovers. He had 8 INts in the first 3 games, and some fumble issues as well.

Over the last 7 though he had 5 INTs and 3 fumbles against a group of teams that have very good defenses. At that pace over the course of a 12 game season that would be 8.6 Ints and 5 .1 fumbles. Those INT numbers would be okay. Not great but not that bad. You'd want the fumble numbers to drop which should be helped by improved OL play. Overall that was a big thing he needed to improve on over the course of the year and he did.

In the offseason he needs to reflect on his experience, get reps, and watch as much film as he can. Other than the turnovers he needs to work on recognizing defenses better and work on building chemistry with his receivers.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims has a huge ceiling. As the OL gets better he will be even more of a threat.

One thing I think he needs to improve on (though he’s better than anyone we’ve had in a long time) is getting the ball out on time. The first pick was a good example of that.

2D48E3E7-CC01-4819-819A-C68E0B9B4135.jpeg

0FF27B2A-BC78-457D-A638-1165F61374DF.jpeg

I admit, I don’t know what his first read was, but if he lets the ball go to the inside of the field in the first picture, it’s a big play or more. The 2nd picture is when he released it. As you can see, the WR still looks open but this gives the safety (who made a nice play) time to get over.

I think he will continue to improve in this area. He’s still very green. I’m really excited to see how much he progresses over the offseason!

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Yes I agree , big olinemen is the biggest concern for me
Both Offensive and Defensive Lines have been, and continue to be, the #1 priority for our team, IMO. Key will get the OL where it needs to be. I wish I was as confident about the DL. Almost every ACC team seems to have a better DL than we do. We have hard working guys, but we need more, and bigger, especially adept at shedding blocks to pass rush so we can put pressure on the QB with 4, 5 at most. Would help our LBs and DBs immensely.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
Sims is our future. He is undeniably good and I won't even argue with anyone that comments back to say otherwise at this point. Mason is good, when he squares up. Gibbs is an enormous get for us. Camp had amazing hands. Our offense as a whole, I don't know where to begin. I truly don't understand what Brent Key has done or why he is being praised. And our D, why can't we have a game where our front and secondary BOTH show up. Thacker and key need to improve. Hell maybe it's not Thacker but the groups coaches on that side can't get it together for some reason.

Last edited:

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would estimate he has at least a 60% chance of becoming the best GT QB ever by the time he graduates. He is definitely talented and has a higher ceiling than this by far.
I hope you're right, but I'd lay huge odds against you. He's more talented than a lot of our previous QB's, but he has a long way to go (and plenty of time) to develop the feel for the game that Hamilton, Godsey, Dewberry, Jones, and others had.

jacket38

Jolly Good Fellow
simply..
1. he's a true freshman QB through this weird year
2. he doesn't have a great offensive line in front of him
3. his receivers are developing along with him

I think he has been great given the circumstances.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Sims has the ability to a be high end QB. I really like his poise even while the WR’s are dropping balls and the OLine isn’t ACC caliber yet. His athleticism can’t be taught which is why he was a 4 star. It’s up to him to take the step to the next level. The good thing about Collins is that we’ll have options coming in. Obviously, Yates and Gleason aren’t those options otherwise they would have gotten some PT. California boy looks to be very solid. Regardless of player, I think GT will take big steps forward but it all depends on the OLine and not the QB.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Im still somewhat on the fence about Sims. His athleticism is incredible and he makes great decisions while scrambling. He has plenty of issues as a pure passer. His accuracy isn't great. He stares down receivers far too often. He makes really questionable decisions at times. He doesn't throw a great deep ball. How high he can go will really depend on how well he develops in those areas. I hope Peery is given a legitimate chance coming in next year, if for no other reason than to push Sims to a higher level.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I agree that Sims is going to be future and that CGC has hooked his wagon to Sims. I just don’t think Sims is the QB to lead us back to a winning program. I don’t think he can constantly make the throws needed to beat teams. I didn’t see much improvement in terms of accuracy. I saw too many throws that the WR couldn’t even get a finger on the ball. A lot of throws that were caught were thrown short, wrong shoulder, or WR had to make a really good catch. I’m concerned that Norvell might have made the right call in pulling the offer. Really hope I’m wrong, but I think we will have an answer by 2022.