Jaylend Ratliffe ready to enroll !

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sometimes I'm a "have my cake and eat it too kinda guy". I was hoping he'd be able to play ball (hoping so for his sake at whatever position / and able to do so safely). I was a bit surprised when his neurosurgeon cleared him but thought that was a great sign. Just makes me wonder how 2 different docs can differ on the issue. Liability? I hope it's not just that and imagine it most likely isn't.

jzgt22

Jolly Good Fellow
Sometimes I'm a "have my cake and eat it too kinda guy". I was hoping he'd be able to play ball (hoping so for his sake at whatever position / and able to do so safely). I was a bit surprised when his neurosurgeon cleared him but thought that was a great sign. Just makes me wonder how 2 different docs can differ on the issue. Liability? I hope it's not just that and imagine it most likely isn't.

There are good doctors and there are bad doctors. I would love to assume that Jaylend's doctor is a good one, and thus by clearing him any doctor should clear him. With that being said, I find it hard to believe that anything but liability came into the final decision process. The risk is just too great. I'm very proud that Paul Johnson stands by his word and that the young man will have a bright future.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm just saying the liability risk determination should be science based. If he has no greater risk than any other player, from this day forward, he should be allowed. Id be surprised if that was the case but his neurosurgeon probably has a better handle on that than me. I'd also imagine a neurosurgeon would be familiar with brain trauma from helmet to helmet contact. Are Tech's docs better versed on that? Maybe. But I'd expect both docs to be pretty knowledgeable on all of the above.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
If, right now, he enrolls on a FB scholly, there is nothing that would prevent the school from stepping up and putting him an academic scholly, is there, thereby freeing up a FB scholly?

Since he's going on a medical scholarship it doesn't count to our 85 person limit. My understanding is the athletic department still pays for it as well, not the school.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm just saying the liability risk determination should be science based.

If Ratliffe got injured, the probability that jury would only use it's emotions at trial is pretty high though.

IMO, while facts and truth are what we aspire to in our legal system - 'what it looks like' generally carries more weight than 'what it is'.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He will be on a medical scholarship. This, same as Denzel McCoy and others, is not an academic scholarship, but a "unable to perform" scholarship. It's paid by the AA, but does not count against the 85.

Frankly, this was always a win-win situation for CPJ. If Jalend was cleared to play, he'd most likely be an asset to the team. If he couldn't be cleared to play, then he''d be switched to a medical scholarship and wouldn't count against our scholly limits. Except for the $$, there was no down-side to honoring Jalend's scholarship offer. I am very happy that the NCAA allows this to happen, although I do think teams/schools abuse it.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Sad to hear it, but at the same time I am actually glad to hear it. I am no doctor or neurobiologist, but I don't see how his brain could completely recover from that trauma. I would be nervous for him every time he got hit. Luckily, it doesn't affect his ability to pay for a top notch education. I look forward to seeing him at the games!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If, right now, he enrolls on a FB scholly, there is nothing that would prevent the school from stepping up and putting him an academic scholly, is there, thereby freeing up a FB scholly?
Never mind. forensic buzz addressed what I was questioning.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm just saying the liability risk determination should be science based. If he has no greater risk than any other player, from this day forward, he should be allowed. Id be surprised if that was the case but his neurosurgeon probably has a better handle on that than me. I'd also imagine a neurosurgeon would be familiar with brain trauma from helmet to helmet contact. Are Tech's docs better versed on that? Maybe. But I'd expect both docs to be pretty knowledgeable on all of the above.
Have a brother who is a surgeon. Which does not qualify me to make a medical diagnosis at all.

But I will say this from second hand observation including a case I witnessed at the end of last year and which is stretching into this year. An otherwise healthy person had a severe concussion and had bleeding on the brain. She has had a full recovery but has been told that she cannot afford to ever have another severe trauma to the head.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm with those above who have said that the important thing is that the young man is alive.

In the immediate aftermath of his accident that was by no means assured. That Tech has stood with him and his folks through thick and thin makes me very proud indeed to be a Tech fan. It's honorable behavior and he deserves the commitment. Whetehr he plays or not is immaterial.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
At one school, you have a program re-affirming their commitment to a kid who will never step on the field for them...at another school (UT...ahem), you have a program who drops a kid a couple of weeks before signing day because he doesn't have enough stars next to his recruiting bio.

I'm not sure 90% of the recruits out there realize how one incident can affect the rest of their lives. In their cases, it all begins with a commitment.