Jaylend Ratliffe ready to enroll !

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
It sounds like he's lost that extra bit of touch on his throws that separates a guy who can be a good HS QB from a guy who can be a good D1 QB, which definitely sucks for him but it does seem like he has options to fall back on (the benefit of recruiting real athletes at QB). Whatever happens going forward in his career and life, I'll be rooting for him...he seems like such an amazing young man I have faith he will succeed.
Eh Peyton Manning hasn't had feeling in his hand since the beck surgery, and he's done pretty well up until this year.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Eh Peyton Manning hasn't had feeling in his hand since the beck surgery, and he's done pretty well up until this year.
To be fair, Peyton had that Rocky Mountain HGH to help keep him in the game.
Edit: And Bay Bay, too. That guy made even Tebow look like a decent NFL QB.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not a neurologist but have a question. Is there a reason Why would skull fractrure show up in left hand? Emg tests for nerve conduction velocity stuff have surely were run to test all extremities.
Will wait and see.

So glad jayland is at tech and we have coach Moore to give him what he needs for his journey to get out of gt.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not a neurologist but have a question. Is there a reason Why would skull fractrure show up in left hand? Emg tests for nerve conduction velocity stuff have surely were run to test all extremities.
Will wait and see.

So glad jayland is at tech and we have coach Moore to give him what he needs for his journey to get out of gt.
It wasn't just a skull fracture, but a traumatic brain injury with significant brain swelling. The human brain is so complex it's tough to pinpoint what damage is going to occur until you start rehabbing and realize things are different.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't just a skull fracture, but a traumatic brain injury with significant brain swelling. The human brain is so complex it's tough to pinpoint what damage is going to occur until you start rehabbing and realize things are different.
Thanks for the response.
Perhaps u know
With a generalized injury
Is it likely that a deficit would be in just one place? . My pinched nerve in neck left me with a defined deficit in nerve ending in thumb. Seems like if a general swelling produced any deficits it would be highly likely to be in more places?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the response.
Perhaps u know
With a generalized injury
Is it likely that a deficit would be in just one place? . My pinched nerve in neck left me with a defined deficit in nerve ending in thumb. Seems like if a general swelling produced any deficits it would be highly likely to be in more places?
A close relative had a bad call with something called osteomyleitis (sp?) that required surgery to remove an abscess and cyst from the spine. That was almost two years ago and despite what he swears is a diligent workout regime specifically targeted to core strength for walking, etc., he has serious numbness in both shins from the knee through the ankles which he is told will in all likelihood last for his life, and a left leg that while it has regained its muscle and strength, simply does not respond to his efforts to step up or down and such. All has to do with a nerve near his spine, he was told, that carries the impulses to the extremities. It is compressed and surgery to relieve it could leave him with a dropped foot, I think he calls it. In addition sometimes he gets "lightning bolts" from his ankle up his shine. Supposedly the spine expert told him that was "millions of nerve endings looking for a connection." Weird stuff, but obviously once those circuits are affected those can be felt far away from the injury itself. Thus the numb left hand.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I had similar compression on cord issue that lead to surgery due to spasticity ( jumpy or hyper response ) of legs. This was due to a very small spot putting pressure just on cord in the c3 area. It referred the problem to the legs! After surgery I regained strength quickly but the spasticity took a year to reduce and another year to go way. Hope your friend recovers.

Correct. This is at the core, a great, great story of a young man's perseverance, a communities love and support, a coach's dedication to his player, and the Institute acting out its fundamental principles. I pray that this story can be great enough and enduring enough, and inspirational enough without exposing this truly blessed young man to further debilitating injury. Let's let Jaylend heal, become a great husband and father, perhaps a coach or teacher or neurosurgeon. Maybe an engineer. Live out his three score and ten doing something else but playing football. He's playing with house money for the rest of his days.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Correct. This is at the core, a great, great story of a young man's perseverance, a communities love and support, a coach's dedication to his player, and the Institute acting out its fundamental principles. I pray that this story can be great enough and enduring enough, and inspirational enough without exposing this truly blessed young man to further debilitating injury. Let's let Jaylend heal, become a great husband and father, perhaps a coach or teacher or neurosurgeon. Maybe an engineer. Live out his three score and ten doing something else but playing football. He's playing with house money for the rest of his days.
I get where you're coming from, but this has been debated many times already. We, as fans, have access to only a small fraction of the crucial information needed to make that decision for his future. Let's please all let the appropriately informed, formally trained professionals weigh in on this and allow HIM AND HIS FAMILY to make the final decisions on playing again. Imagine you're in Jaylend's shoes...you go through hell trying to work yourself back to playing the game you love, and you keep hearing from fans that supposedly support you that you shouldn't play again even though your doctors are giving you the OK.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I get where you're coming from, but this has been debated many times already. We, as fans, have access to only a small fraction of the crucial information needed to make that decision for his future. Let's please all let the appropriately informed, formally trained professionals weigh in on this and allow HIM AND HIS FAMILY to make the final decisions on playing again. Imagine you're in Jaylend's shoes...you go through hell trying to work yourself back to playing the game you love, and you keep hearing from fans that supposedly support you that you shouldn't play again even though your doctors are giving you the OK.
Let's see what the GT doc has to say. When is that, btw? It has to be before spring drills if Jayland hopes to participate.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This comes as a surprise to almost nobody, including apparently the kid himself. That was an almost fatal head injury that involved brain swelling and skull surgery. It was just not believable that the school's doctors would ever sign off on the risk factor of putting him back on the field, whatever optimism he was showing. Surely it is a big disappointment -- one almost always has some hope -- but it did not just fall out of the sky and he was prepared for the news. Now he will get a chance at a four-year head start at learning to be a football coach if that is what he would want to do, and he keeps his scholarship, while GT and Johnson keep their honor, and that is no small thing. There isn't a lot of it left in this world and while I have no connection to the institute or to Johnson other than a rooting interest in the football program, I feel oddly proud my interest was not misplaced. And all that is lost is a kid's chance to play college football, while his day-to-day life will apparently not be affected.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
This comes as a surprise to almost nobody, including apparently the kid himself. That was an almost fatal head injury that involved brain swelling and skull surgery. It was just not believable that the school's doctors would ever sign off on the risk factor of putting him back on the field, whatever optimism he was showing. Surely it is a big disappointment -- one almost always has some hope -- but it did not just fall out of the sky and he was prepared for the news. Now he will get a chance at a four-year head start at learning to be a football coach if that is what he would want to do, and he keeps his scholarship, while GT and Johnson keep their honor, and that is no small thing. There isn't a lot of it left in this world and while I have no connection to the institute or to Johnson other than a rooting interest in the football program, I feel oddly proud my interest was not misplaced. And all that is lost is a kid's chance to play college football, while his day-to-day life will apparently not be affected.
Well said. I love our coach and our team.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Tough, though not unexpected, news. Life often has moments you wish you could take back, and I imagine many wish the ATV accident never happened, but this kid is moving on like a champion. Congratulations to him for getting a world class education!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If, right now, he enrolls on a FB scholly, there is nothing that would prevent the school from stepping up and putting him an academic scholly, is there, thereby freeing up a FB scholly?