Jay Jones has an arm

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I would also like to see more of his arm, but imo I really think the spring game wasn't very telling of the accuracy of his arm. I think it was one of the a backs that said he throws the best ball, which translates to accuracy, arm strength, etc. this is high school highlights which go out the window to an extent when you get to college, but it definitely shows that he had touch. The first and third throws were beautiful.

Not trying to say that he's going to be, but those highlights really remind me of Vick. Now I know Vick made professional athletes look like JJ made high schoolers look. His escapability, acceleration, throwing motion, and arm strength look a lot like #7. He could very well have the highest ceiling as an athlete that CPJ has ever had on the flats or ever. I'm excited to see what his future holds.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
IMO, his three throws starting at the 1:28 mark, the throw at the 2:25 mark, the throw at 2:38 mark, the throw at the 2:52 mark (really good if you like anticipation and throwing to a small window), throw at the 5:01 mark (nice patience waiting for a passing lane to develop) were more college level throws than the throws you alluded to. These throws were in the rythym of the offense where he read the defense and threw with some anticipation, and showed the patience to let the routes develop. The throws you alluded more times than not will get him sacked at this level, and it was more him and his WRs out athleting HS competition.

Jay has throwing ability, and that was the highlight reel that changed my opinion of him being a true dual threat on this level. Wasn't so much about chucking it down field and letting his WRs out athlete the HS DBs. JeT was REALLY good at anticipating throws with his WRs, and the back shoulder throws he made were beauties. Some of that is working with his WRs, but you have to be accurate as well.
I wasn't talking about the play in its entirety, I honestly didn't even watch his full film when I posted it (I have before though). I was just speaking to his touch on those passes. Also some of those other throws you mentioned are pretty easy throws, they are actually easier throws than the other two I posted about. JT threw a beautiful back shoulder pass for sure.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

"He's earned QB1 on the field, and not on the messageboards." That is one of the best comments I've ever read.

To me, knowing CPJ doesn't play favorites, I am just fired up, because if someone other than MJ starts, then we know they EARNED it through weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks of proving it on the practice field...not just against MJ but against the other 3 (now 4) guys. So if JJ (to pick one) ends up the starter, he had to beat MJ, no small task. AND LJ. AND TM! Crazy!

Also, think about how we all laugh at CPJ and his comments at press conferences. "Hey coach, how did Dedrick Mills do today?" [after an 18 carry, 110 yard, 2 TD game] "He was okay, he acquitted himself pretty well. Needs to get better without the ball. He'll be alright." I have NEVER heard CPJ say some of the things he's said about Matthew Jordan to other kids. His confidence and trust in him is sky high. I don't know all the tiny nuances in our offense, but from what I've seen I'd guess some of the following. Matthew Jordan has a high level command of all the plays and how they run. He walks up and down the line yelling into the OL ears to make sure they have the right play. He makes good reads. He turns the ball up the field and takes many more +2 and +3 yard runs than would be -3 and -4 yard runs otherwise. He's strong and fast. He's calm and unflappable.

That's what's got me so excited about this team, because I don't think MJ has the highest upside, but his floor is so damn high someone's gonna have to really ball out to beat him. So if someone else takes the job from him, we should be in for quite a show.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
"He's earned QB1 on the field, and not on the messageboards." That is one of the best comments I've ever read.

To me, knowing CPJ doesn't play favorites, I am just fired up, because if someone other than MJ starts, then we know they EARNED it through weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks of proving it on the practice field...not just against MJ but against the other 3 (now 4) guys. So if JJ (to pick one) ends up the starter, he had to beat MJ, no small task. AND LJ. AND TM! Crazy!

Also, think about how we all laugh at CPJ and his comments at press conferences. "Hey coach, how did Dedrick Mills do today?" [after an 18 carry, 110 yard, 2 TD game] "He was okay, he acquitted himself pretty well. Needs to get better without the ball. He'll be alright." I have NEVER heard CPJ say some of the things he's said about Matthew Jordan to other kids. His confidence and trust in him is sky high. I don't know all the tiny nuances in our offense, but from what I've seen I'd guess some of the following. Matthew Jordan has a high level command of all the plays and how they run. He walks up and down the line yelling into the OL ears to make sure they have the right play. He makes good reads. He turns the ball up the field and takes many more +2 and +3 yard runs than would be -3 and -4 yard runs otherwise. He's strong and fast. He's calm and unflappable.

That's what's got me so excited about this team, because I don't think MJ has the highest upside, but his floor is so damn high someone's gonna have to really ball out to beat him. So if someone else takes the job from him, we should be in for quite a show.
Excellent post!

One factor that never gets talked about on message boards is that coach not only judges a player's likelihood to win games, but more importantly, his likelihood to lose them.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck

Excellent post!

One factor that never gets talked about on message boards is that coach not only judges a player's likelihood to win games, but more importantly, his likelihood to lose them.
Great posts! It sounds crazy but more games are lost than won. Chew on that one a while!