Jay Jones has an arm

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The most popular player on the team is always the backup qb. This is multiplied 10x in the off-season.

Decision making and ball security are by far the two most critical traits for an option qb. Neither of which are apparent in a 5 sec vid clip playing catch in shorts.
Agree, but when you have someone close to the program saying some players think he might end up being the starter, and you have a straight shooter coach saying how good he's looked, you can Come to the conclusion that he's doing pretty good in those other aspects. Imo. Now that doesn't mean he's going to start of course, but I would say he's top 2.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone know what connection Tyreek Hill has with GT? He's from Georgia but didn't realize he knew any GT players

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The most popular player on the team is always the backup qb. This is multiplied 10x in the off-season.

Decision making and ball security are by far the two most critical traits for an option qb. Neither of which are apparent in a 5 sec vid clip playing catch in shorts.
Yes, X 150.

The young man is obviously talented. He also doesn't know how to handle the mesh or option pitches very well. Further, he fumbled twice in the spring game. He'll play sooner or later, but right now the top two QBs - if past teams are any indication - are Jordan and Marshall. Both have experience, both can run, and both can throw, albeit that Marshall has limited range on his throws. I think we see some of Jones late in some games, but I'm at a loss to tell why some here think he's a good risk in a game, especially early in the year. He has yet to take a snap in college.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes, X 150.

The young man is obviously talented. He also doesn't know how to handle the mesh or option pitches very well. Further, he fumbled twice in the spring game. He'll play sooner or later, but right now the top two QBs - if past teams are any indication - are Jordan and Marshall. Both have experience, both can run, and both can throw, albeit that Marshall has limited range on his throws. I think we see some of Jones late in some games, but I'm at a loss to tell why some here think he's a good risk in a game, especially early in the year. He has yet to take a snap in college.
How do you know he doesn't handle the mesh or option pitches very well? He had not practiced all week before the spring game and CPJ said that's not normal for how he played the rest of the spring. I'm not saying he will be the starter, but when you have his teammates thinking he has a chance, they obviously know something we don't because they see him way more than us. The spring game can't be used as an indicator for how these guys will play, and that goes for all the guys imo.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
How do you know he doesn't handle the mesh or option pitches very well? He had not practiced all week before the spring game and CPJ said that's not normal for how he played the rest of the spring. I'm not saying he will be the starter, but when you have his teammates thinking he has a chance, they obviously know something we don't because they see him way more than us. The spring game can't be used as an indicator for how these guys will play, and that goes for all the guys imo.
disagree. It can absolutely be used as an indicator. It can't be used as THE indicator, but to pretend that a kids performance under identical conditions as his peers doesn't say anything is foolish.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
disagree. It can absolutely be used as an indicator. It can't be used as THE indicator, but to pretend that a kids performance under identical conditions as his peers doesn't say anything is foolish.
It can be used as an indicator but only to a very small amount, not enough to draw a conclusion as to if a kid is good with the mesh and pitch or not. I'd much rather draw a conclusion of that kind of stuff after seeing a kid play multiple times.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Except when JT was starter.

Even when JT was starting, you still had some people trying to say Byerly should be playing more. They were a definite minority, but they were out there. As much as I love what Tim was able to do for us (he was beastly on goal line runs especially), I never wanted JT to sit and I didn't see it as being close.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So let's use MJ's performance against Miami to give you an indicator?

This is silly.
There's more data to analyze on MJ. Personally, I don't cringe when young guns make mistakes, that's how they learn. I cringe when they make the same mistakes over and over. CPJ will ere on the side of caution. He likes to say a guy will make plays to decide games, just not sure who for. When he says this, it's about young, inexperienced guys.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I take it Jay Jones is the "chosen" internet messageboard legend this year?! Hepefully you guys don't jinx him like the previous summer messageboard legends.

He may very well be all that and a scoop of chocolate ice cream, but let's not make too much of what CPJ said and a few good runs during the spring game. Remember, he had a very uneven Spring game just like all the other QBs. Let's also remember this one tidbit: Had Jay Jones not been injured going into the Spring Game, he would have taken snaps with Lucas Johnson on the 2nd team. Something else to remember before we discount LJ: He was QB1 during passing drills this spring. I don't think CPJ has a QB running the first team during passing drills if he doesn't see a role for him. As Lucas's 70 TD run showed, he's not a bad runner himself. The reality is, BOTH Jay and Lucas are behind TaQuan right now.

CPJ is pretty honest with his players about where they stand. Remember the Tevin Washington incident where he told Tevin he may want to move to AB if he wanted to play? I think we'll see the QB shake out more this during Fall camp. That's when CPJ has to get the team ready to play football that counts. How the QB depth chart plays out then will tell us all where they all stand...for real.

Last edited:

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
The strawman arguments on here are ridiculous, reaching epic proportions.

-Nobody said Jay Jones was a superhero, or the presumptive starter. So some of ya'll should quit arguing a point nobody made in the first place, those argument get filed immediately in the "no **** Sherlock" file.
-Nobody is dissing Mathew Jordan (our probable starter)
-Everything from the coaches has been positive about all the QB, and that's an "open race".

Many of you should take threads like this as precisely what they are, people excited about a young talent on the team. You can simultaneously be excited about young players while also recognizing that they still have quite a bit to learn.

In closing, Jay looks like a great athlete. Will he start? Maybe not, but the fact that we don't have a "starter" named by our coaching staff may be an indication of the level of talent we have at QB. IMO, this is a great thing and no slight on any SA or their family members on this board. So everyone should calm down, we're in good hands at QB, nobody is "hero worshipping" or "crowning" anyone, or calling for people to start over other people. This is the offseason.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck

I can't agree with this enough. Seriously please, get a grip.

this thread in a nutshell:

user 1: wow what a throw! he's super athletic

user 2: whoa whoa whoa, slow down there guys, he's not the savior of our program. everyone loves the back up qb and you guys forget that QB have to know the plays and execute them, it quite complicated but I don't expect you to understand the complexity of this game.

user 1: you don't say? /s