James Graham Transferring

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If I was Gleason, with this being a freebie year, and now with another speed bump out of my way, I'd give it one more year and give Sims a good run for my money. I see Sims starting job as being vulnerable. I just done see why anyone would want to give up a GT degree unless it's in their cards to make alot of money playing pro ball.
I do. They are all trying to monetize their NIL rights. Bigger programs or ... more playing time in urban programs. That's the new game. Notice how winning championships isn't part of the New Era.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Pro athletes are free to negotiate the terms of their contracts, and can request a trade or to be released at anytime. The team doesn’t always comply with their wishes, but the player still holds the power over the team simply because the player is the product and has the leverage of refusing to play.

Regular students absolutely receive grants, I’m not sure why you think they don’t. Yet, they’re still free to transfer if they receive one. While this has changed in college sports in the past few years, regular students can’t have certain schools blocked if they choose to transfer.

You say college sports is an industry, but not allowing free range of transfer is extremely authoritarian. Why should a player be forced to go to and play for a school he doesn’t enjoy being at? The vast majority of transfers aren’t occurring at the blue blood level, so it’s not like only the powerhouses are receiving and losing transfers. 25% of regular students who begin their college careers at one 4-year school end up transferring to another one. Why shouldn’t athletes have the same ability?
It is what it is.

I'm fine with students transferring at will. I'm also fine with not paying for it by giving grants. If they believe there is a bigger payday out there, let them find it on their dime.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, this is too bad. Personally, I think James would have done as good a job as Sims at QB this year, if he had started. People tend to forget that he was hurt most of last year and had started to come on toward the last. Also, he was one of the best high school QBs in recent Gorgia history. I wouldn't be at all surprised for him to star wherever he ends up next.

But the coaches made this pick and they have to live with it. Sims has gotten valuable experience this year and could be much better next year, provided we decide to run an offense he can work a little better with (i.e. one where he gets to run some).

So … Good Luck, James! Thanks for the memories!

Update: I also wouldn't be surprised to see Gleason transfer. Oth, I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay either.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I do. They are all trying to monetize their NIL rights. Bigger programs or ... more playing time in urban programs. That's the new game. Notice how winning championships isn't part of the New Era.
What are you even talking about? You think every single player that transfers is going to a bigger program? So you think Graham transfers from Tech and goes to Clemson? Some people just want a change, maybe they don’t like their fit at a school. Why do you think they should be locked in place if they’re not happy? Hundreds of kids transfer from the P5 level to G5 or even FCS every year. Are they doing that to monetize their NIL? Or are they doing it to get more opportunities to play football at a school they enjoy being at?
It is what it is.

I'm fine with students transferring at will. I'm also fine with not paying for it by giving grants. If they believe there is a bigger payday out there, let them find it on their dime.
What are you talking about bigger payday? That’s honestly an incredibly ignorant take. In Georgia the HOPE grant exists for regular students. Do you think students who receive that grant shouldn’t be able to transfer? I mean, come on. Is there some dirty money or ill-gotten gains on the transfer market? Sure, but those instances are incredibly rare when looking at the whole picture. Graham is very likely to transfer to a G5 school, is he out looking for a payday? Or is he trying to accomplish his goals. You work at Auburn right? Auburn has a handful of kids every year transfer down a level. Are they looking for handouts or paydays?

Sometimes you get to a place and don’t like the way you fit in. Nowhere else but college sports are you forced to stay at that place for 4 years. If you didn’t want to work at Auburn anymore could you not look for work elsewhere? I mean, you’re a state employee, you’re paid with state funds. I think you shouldn’t be able to take another job because the state is already paying for you. Go look for a bigger payday on your own dime. See how that works?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What are you even talking about? You think every single player that transfers is going to a bigger program? So you think Graham transfers from Tech and goes to Clemson? Some people just want a change, maybe they don’t like their fit at a school. Why do you think they should be locked in place if they’re not happy? Hundreds of kids transfer from the P5 level to G5 or even FCS every year. Are they doing that to monetize their NIL? Or are they doing it to get more opportunities to play football at a school they enjoy being at?

What are you talking about bigger payday? That’s honestly an incredibly ignorant take. In Georgia the HOPE grant exists for regular students. Do you think students who receive that grant shouldn’t be able to transfer? I mean, come on. Is there some dirty money or ill-gotten gains on the transfer market? Sure, but those instances are incredibly rare when looking at the whole picture. Graham is very likely to transfer to a G5 school, is he out looking for a payday? Or is he trying to accomplish his goals. You work at Auburn right? Auburn has a handful of kids every year transfer down a level. Are they looking for handouts or paydays?

Sometimes you get to a place and don’t like the way you fit in. Nowhere else but college sports are you forced to stay at that place for 4 years. If you didn’t want to work at Auburn anymore could you not look for work elsewhere? I mean, you’re a state employee, you’re paid with state funds. I think you shouldn’t be able to take another job because the state is already paying for you. Go look for a bigger payday on your own dime. See how that works?
I'm totally fine with your point of view. Let's take money out of it and students can go wherever they want whenever they want. My employer doesn't require me to stay ... but ... I have signed contracts that did.

So which is it? Is there a commitment to play for four years or isn't there? I certainly stayed at companies who hired me for a 5 year period. And guess what ... if I left, I had to pay that back. '

It seems all we want these days is upside and no downside.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I'm totally fine with your point of view. Let's take money out of it and students can go wherever they want whenever they want. My employer doesn't require me to stay ... but ... I have signed contracts that did.

So which is it? Is there a commitment to play for four years or isn't there? I certainly stayed at companies who hired me for a 5 year period. And guess what ... if I left, I had to pay that back. '

It seems all we want these days is upside and no downside.
Technically there is no commitment to play for four years, so no. An NLI is a contract an athlete signs before attending a four-year university. The athletes fulfills the terms of the contract once they’ve completed a full year at that school. So according to the terminology and literal definition of an NLI, an athlete should be free to transfer wherever they want after 1 year. IMO, not allowing an athlete free reign to transfer is breaching the terms and intent of an NLI, but I of course am no lawyer.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Technically there is no commitment to play for four years, so no. An NLI is a contract an athlete signs before attending a four-year university. The athletes fulfills the terms of the contract once they’ve completed a full year at that school. So according to the terminology and literal definition of an NLI, an athlete should be free to transfer wherever they want after 1 year. IMO, not allowing an athlete free reign to transfer is breaching the terms and intent of an NLI, but I of course am no lawyer.
A what? I said NIL ... what the hell is an NLI?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
A what? I said NIL ... what the hell is an NLI?
NLI is a National Letter of Intent. It’s what you sign on signing day. It’s your contract. Not to be confused with NIL (Name Image and Likeness). But like I said, an NLI only requires an athlete to complete one year at the school they sign with to be considered fulfilled.

Deleted member 2897

The transfer portal will be interesting to watch with the free year rule. They burn the free year here and it doesn’t stay behind. So we get a free new spot while the new school has to have a spot plus know they could be there an extra year now. Will be an interesting dynamic.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
NLI is a National Letter of Intent. It’s what you sign on signing day. It’s your contract. Not to be confused with NIL (Name Image and Likeness). But like I said, an NLI only requires an athlete to complete one year at the school they sign with to be considered fulfilled.

I’m referring to NIL. Thanks.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The transfer portal will be interesting to watch with the free year rule. They burn the free year here and it doesn’t stay behind. So we get a free new spot while the new school has to have a spot plus know they could be there an extra year now. Will be an interesting dynamic.

yep, the portal is almost vital to GC to bring Tech to the level he needs on the schedule we expect.Between covid and the results of our play, next yr looks not to be the roaring change and success many had hoped for --without some key transfers at DT and LB and at OL maybe.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’m referring to NIL. Thanks.
And I’m referring to this specific quote
So which is it? Is there a commitment to play for four years or isn't there?
And the answer is no. There isn’t a commitment to play for 4 years on the basis of an NLI which is a contract. A player does not sign to a school for 4 years. They sign for one year, with the stipulation that the school provides a scholarship for as long as they meet their terms of the contract for up to 5 years (exemptions can be made for up to 6 years).

So if those are the terms of the contract a player signs, why should they be held to one school for 4 years if they no longer wish to attend said school. Your mention of NIL doesn’t even make sense due to the fact that the vast majority of transfers have very little to nothing to do with NIL. Considering college athletes aren’t even able to profit from their own NIL as it currently stands, it makes even less to make that argument. James Graham’s NIL will have very little to no benefit if he chooses to transfer to a G5 school. But that’s probably not why he’s transferring anyway. Same story with 95% of kids that transfer schools.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
nd the answer is no. There isn’t a commitment to play for 4 years on the basis of an NLI which is a contract.

Fine. No problem.

Then why do we celebrate National Signing Day? That's what I mean ... all of this nonsense doesn't mean anything in Free Agent Nation.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Fine. No problem.

Then why do we celebrate National Signing Day? That's what I mean ... all of this nonsense doesn't mean anything in Free Agent Nation.
Now I’m confused about what your point even is.
But what matters is wishing JG well. I’m sure there will more than a couple guys looking to transfer after this season. I wish them all the best. I see no reason to hold someone in a place they’re not happy at, or want different opportunities from. Not sure why “free agent nation” is being used as a derogatory term? Are we not a free nation? Do we not encourage the pursuit of happiness? If so, why limit an 18-22 year old’s desire to be happy. That’s a strange argument, but it’s also beside the point. Agree to disagree I suppose.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Now I’m confused about what your point even is.
But what matters is wishing JG well. I’m sure there will more than a couple guys looking to transfer after this season. I wish them all the best. I see no reason to hold someone in a place they’re not happy at, or want different opportunities from. Not sure why “free agent nation” is being used as a derogatory term? Are we not a free nation? Do we not encourage the pursuit of happiness? If so, why limit an 18-22 year old’s desire to be happy. That’s a strange argument, but it’s also beside the point. Agree to disagree I suppose.
It’s all good. I’m just describing the hypocrisy of it all. No player is committed to a school as much as they are committed for one year. So it’s not really a commitment. So ... let the players do what they want. It’s fine.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This hopefully is just the beginning. The portal couldn’t have come at a better time for a program like GT. Collins will feast getting guys who aren’t starting at factories yet are better than what we have. This is going to be a fun off season to be able to swap out players not at positions of need with players we need.Our depth should be greatly improved.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It’s all good. I’m just describing the hypocrisy of it all. No player is committed to a school as much as they are committed for one year. So it’s not really a commitment. So ... let the players do what they want. It’s fine.
Which hypocrisy? I would say it is more hypocritical for fans to expect players to stay committed for four to five years, while at the same time expecting to coaches to not have any commitment to players who don't live up to expectations. From a fans perspective if a player is good in college he should be required to stay with the team. If a player isn't as good as thought, his scholarship should be yanked for someone better.

There are some schools at which historically a "commitment" really meant an opportunity to try out for the team. Until just a few years ago schools were not even allowed to offer multi-year scholarships. Every single NCAA scholarship was a one year renewable scholarship. Even after allowing multi-year scholarships I don't believe there are many schools that actually offer them. In my opinion, there are many reasons that a student-athlete might want to change schools. Not all of those are related to athletics. I don't think a student-athlete should be expected to be committed for a full four years unless the school is also committed to the student-athlete for four years.

"I love it when a plan comes together"

- the guy from the A-Team

Someone tell Yates he's on the Clock

Now we get 8 more guys to make the same choice or Graduate early, and that'll give us 10 slots for early signing and then the full 25 slots for traditional NSD

Yep, you guessed it, I am in full support of Roster Mgmt & "oversigning" to churn this Roster and get us ready to win

In modern day Pwr5 CFB guys that can't cut it Talent-wise at the big boy Level can still get a great Free Education at the G5 or FCS Level, in this Era of Student Loan Debt all free Degrees are valuable

Oversigning should no longer carry the stigma that it used among our Fans, just knowing that the Guys will still get free Educations should ease your minds and let us "run with the big dogs" at our Level

Our guys headed for the Portal this off-season should look like those Baby Turtles heading for the water when they hatch from their eggs