James Graham 2019 Highlights

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As for us, We are always going to have new recruits so I guess you expect us to play musical QBs forever? Seems easier to do it the old fashion way and just pick a guy and let the others beat him out if they are able to do so. If this isn’t possible then our offensive coaching staff isn’t capable of evaluating QBs in practice which is a problem.

I expect us to try every avenue of finding a good starting QB until we have a good starting QB. I see no benefit in marrying yourself to a QB who has yet to prove themselves and we don't have one that has. We may not have one that proves himself this year and wind up with a competition next year.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to try every avenue of finding a good starting QB until we have a good starting QB. I see no benefit in marrying yourself to a QB who has yet to prove themselves and we don't have one that has. We may not have one that proves himself this year and wind up with a competition next year.
No one is marrying themselves to a QB, anyone can lose their job if they aren't performing, but at some point you have to pick a guy and put your confidence in them or you can't win games. If you continue plugging and playing waiting for some breakthrough from one of the guys you will likely have a terrible offense during the process and you may never get there anyways because you never gave a guy a real chance to get there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No one is marrying themselves to a QB, anyone can lose their job if they aren't performing, but at some point you have to pick a guy and put your confidence in them or you can't win games. If you continue plugging and playing waiting for some breakthrough from one of the guys you will likely have a terrible offense during the process and you may never get there anyways because you never gave a guy a real chance to get there.

I remember when Joe Hamilton was getting booed his freshmen season and EVERYONE was calling for him to be benched (which he was for bit). The thing is, the staff stuck with him and he was able to learn while taking some lumps. We all know what happened after his freshmen year.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
And that’s why Collins will play all 4 QB’s. We gotta figure out in 2020 who the “Joe Ham” will be for the future otherwise we risk “Joe Ham” using the portal. Wins and losses mean nothing in 2020. Any of you worried about winning games in 2020 have to accept reality. The only thing we are playing for is improvement. We aren’t winning the Coastal, we aren’t beating Clemson or UGA. Collins goal is to compete and continue to improve. No more getting waxed by VT or looking totally out matched and out sized against Clemson and UGA. The wins are coming but it’s a lot to ask in year 2 with a very young team without a known commodity at QB. If we had this same team and Bryce Perkins in the gun then I’d say we have a chance. And maybe Graham, Yates, Gleason, or Sims can become a stable QB by game 3, but I’m not going to be upset if we fall short on wins as long as we see improvement. All these guys are so young that if any one of them emerges we will be set for the next 3 years.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
And that’s why Collins will play all 4 QB’s. We gotta figure out in 2020 who the “Joe Ham” will be for the future otherwise we risk “Joe Ham” using the portal. Wins and losses mean nothing in 2020. Any of you worried about winning games in 2020 have to accept reality. The only thing we are playing for is improvement. We aren’t winning the Coastal, we aren’t beating Clemson or UGA. Collins goal is to compete and continue to improve. No more getting waxed by VT or looking totally out matched and out sized against Clemson and UGA. The wins are coming but it’s a lot to ask in year 2 with a very young team without a known commodity at QB. If we had this same team and Bryce Perkins in the gun then I’d say we have a chance. And maybe Graham, Yates, Gleason, or Sims can become a stable QB by game 3, but I’m not going to be upset if we fall short on wins as long as we see improvement. All these guys are so young that if any one of them emerges we will be set for the next 3 years.
Just curiously, after the 1996 season, how would you have known that Joe Hamilton was the guy going forward? Would we have been better off playing 3-4 guys in 1997 in some weird rotational format instead of just putting confidence in Joe to improve?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Just curiously, after the 1996 season, how would you have known that Joe Hamilton was the guy going forward? Would we have been better off playing 3-4 guys in 1997 in some weird rotational format instead of just putting confidence in Joe to improve?
I think the point is as fans we wouldn’t know but Ralph was seeing the progress he was looking for. That’s the reason he stuck with him. If he hadn’t seen those signs, many of which we might not have been able to see, be would have moved on to the next guy.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

In 1996 and 1997 we didn’t have to worry about sensitive kids transferring out because their cousin doesn’t think they got enough playing time. The point is that times have changed. No player will stick around if they are a back up when they think they are starting material. It’s a completely different era of player control. And we don’t know which of the 4 is Joe like. I don’t want to lose out next stud. The only way we do that is to give all 4 playing time to figure it out. 2020 is a perfect season to do it because we have nothing to lose.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't like your attitude. I'm not willing to concede a game until we've actually lost it. Not much was expected in 2008 and we did alright. I think we improve greatly and I like our odds for the Coastal.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
In 1996 and 1997 we didn’t have to worry about sensitive kids transferring out because their cousin doesn’t think they got enough playing time. The point is that times have changed. No player will stick around if they are a back up when they think they are starting material. It’s a completely different era of player control. And we don’t know which of the 4 is Joe like. I don’t want to lose out next stud. The only way we do that is to give all 4 playing time to figure it out. 2020 is a perfect season to do it because we have nothing to lose.
We have 12 games to lose...or 12 games to win.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Seriously? Kids have always transferred especially QBs. Maybe not as many but it’s not a new thing at all.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I was with you right up until this comment. Like NC said, kids have transferred out forever, and calling kids sensitive for leaving a school they’re never going to see the field out is a bit much. Can you call Joe Burrow sensitive? Or Baker Mayfield? Or Jalen Hurts? Guys want to live their dream, and if it’s not happening at one school, why not try another?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I love the optimism and I’m very optimistic, but if you think a team is winning the Coastal Division without a legit starting QB, you are crazy. Comparing 2020 to 2008 is funny. Johnson had NFL players he inherited and a solid defense. We are on the right path but we don’t have a Derrick Morgan or Morgan Burnett in their prime right now. We are young and I definitely think we’ll see huge improvement along the way but many of you have your homer goggles on regarding this coming season. All you are doing is setting up to have a very negative view of the season when your high hopes don’t materialize. If we win 3 games this season again it will mean nothing for the future but I’m afraid the “instant gratification” fans will freak out. The recruiting is coming along nicely and we will be be back atop the Coastal soon, but expecting it this coming season is crazy. UNC and VT will run thru the Coastal quite easily.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I love the optimism and I’m very optimistic, but if you think a team is winning the Coastal Division without a legit starting QB, you are crazy. Comparing 2020 to 2008 is funny. Johnson had NFL players he inherited and a solid defense. We are on the right path but we don’t have a Derrick Morgan or Morgan Burnett in their prime right now. We are young and I definitely think we’ll see huge improvement along the way but many of you have your homer goggles on regarding this coming season. All you are doing is setting up to have a very negative view of the season when your high hopes don’t materialize. If we win 3 games this season again it will mean nothing for the future but I’m afraid the “instant gratification” fans will freak out. The recruiting is coming along nicely and we will be be back atop the Coastal soon, but expecting it this coming season is crazy. UNC and VT will run thru the Coastal quite easily.
We probably won’t win the coastal but I’m not sure why you think we are a 3 win team. We can be a decent team this year. Graham with an improved line and another stud at RB could be a significantly improved player. You seem to think these things are impossible for some reason which I can’t figure out other than your pretty obvious distaste for CPJ and every player he ever recruited. Some of the current guys are pretty good. It’s ok to support them.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree 2008 and 2020 are different years with different players. You don't know if we have a legit starting QB or not. Maybe we do, maybe we don't. Don't go selling us down the river until you've had a chance to actually see THIS team play.

I was actually coming on here to include the imojis I left off before, but now I've decided I believe. I BELIEVE!!!!!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not selling us short. I hope we go undefeated. And I definitely think we win more than 3. I said, if we only win 3 then a segment of our fan base will freak out when they shouldn’t. My point is for this season I want GT to find the QB of the future, get a top 25 recruiting class for 2021 and 2022, and get all of Collins young guys on the field so next year we have depth AND experience. Sorry if I’m not worried about wins/losses right now. I want a solid foundation during the rebuild that leads to many seasons of being competitive. I’m tired of the inconsistency we’ve become accustomed to.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I think for us to have a baller 2022 class, CGC needs to prove himself a bit more in the W column.

I would personally like us to have either 5 or 6 wins this year. That would show the 2021 and 2022 class that this “developmental program” is working, that guys are individually getting better and the team is getting better together.

I think 2021 understands a very rough first year, but 2022 might be a harder sell.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I’m not selling us short. I hope we go undefeated. And I definitely think we win more than 3. I said, if we only win 3 then a segment of our fan base will freak out when they shouldn’t. My point is for this season I want GT to find the QB of the future, get a top 25 recruiting class for 2021 and 2022, and get all of Collins young guys on the field so next year we have depth AND experience. Sorry if I’m not worried about wins/losses right now. I want a solid foundation during the rebuild that leads to many seasons of being competitive. I’m tired of the inconsistency we’ve become accustomed to.
Why are you so worried about some fans reacting poorly to another awful season when we all know it won't affect CGC either way? There aren't many teams that can win 3 games back to back seasons without some negative reaction from fans and im not sure you want to be one of those teams.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think for us to have a baller 2022 class, CGC needs to prove himself a bit more in the W column.

I would personally like us to have either 5 or 6 wins this year. That would show the 2021 and 2022 class that this “developmental program” is working, that guys are individually getting better and the team is getting better together.

I think 2021 understands a very rough first year, but 2022 might be a harder sell.

Yeah that’s something that the yellow tinted glasses folks seem to ignore. I agree the recruiting so far has been great, but we are going to have to start winning some games for this level of recruiting to continue/improve. If we keep winning three games a season, recruits will start to look at us as empty hype. I think we’ll get that kind of reputation as early as year three if we haven’t made a bowl by the end of year three. Recruits who can only play four years aren’t interested in a seven year rebuild.

That’s my biggest worry. The game day coaching last year left a lot to desire at times. We’re going to have to back up the hype at some point.

Scubapro

Banned
Lets be glad he is not a player.
Agreed. If Collins and company treat this like another scrimmage then he needs to be shown the door.
What do you tell the players again?
"Hey don't bother trying to win because you know...you just aint that good...just try and look good and make the right reads."
We will see some asinine QB rotation again because we have a dunce leading our O. I can hear the defenders now. "We lost a spring practice so he has rotate QBs on each play"