James Graham 2019 Highlights

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I want my opinion to be heard before this thread is derailed.

JG was a freshman last year, he will be our starter again this year and he will be 100x's better. Patients people, patients.
He’s absolutely going to be the starter, especially since there was no spring camp. Given that the first 2 games will probably be blowouts (hopefully week 2 is :nailbiting:) I still think the QB of the future is going to be who starts the UCF game. JG had some upside, but he wasn’t done any favors last year. The worst OL in the country, a battered receiving corps, and learning a new system on very short time. He throws a good deep ball, has good pocket presence, and is pretty quick when he runs. But his short to intermediate throws were pretty bad, and his vision when running also wasn’t great. Making better short throws will definitely help him compete for the job long term, but I just don’t believe that will be enough for him to hold onto the job long term.

Kennethshannon20

Jolly Good Fellow
If you watch this, knowing what our situation was on the O Line last year, and do not get excited about Graham, you should stop watching football. Good chance he is our starter again.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Also, it’s been a while since I’ve watched any highlights from this season, so I almost forgot how good Ahmarean Brown is going to be. His speed and ability to adjust to the ball in the air is elite. Adding Ezzard out wide will definitely help whoever plays QB this out drastically.

As a side note, the white helmets with gold face masks Tech wore vs. UVA are also elite

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully he's worked on his feet a lot. Can be much more accurate when he keeps those shoulders square and isn't trying to uncork off his back foot.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
He is an electrifying player and showed flashes, but has a long way to go as a QB. He will get his shot, but guys are coming in skill sets ready-made for the kind of offense we run now. We will see what happens. My money would be on the guys recruited by the current staff, but KG has proven some wrong before and we'll see.

Last edited:

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
JG is gifted, but hopefully he has matured during the offseason. Those comments after two games about not being as prepared as he should were disappointing. While I am glad he admitted it, it’s a great privilege to be a P5 starting QB and a lot of people are depending on you to give your best. I think the success of the season depends on JG, It’s rare a freshman QB is able to come in and play at a college level so soon.

Deleted member 2897

To me, he was by far our best QB last year. Highest potential, great guy - learned a lot. He's a great athlete trying to learn the QB position. He'll have a hard time holding off guys who have been pure QBs for their entire career. Also, averaging less than 2 touchdowns a game on offense and a 45% completion percentage isn't good. He only averaged 100 yards passing a game. He's got to take another huge step up this year if he wants to keep that QB1 position.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Graham is going to have to improve by leaps and bounds to keep the job. This isn’t the old GT where inconsistency yet dynamic play keeps the job. In this offense you gotta make the proper passes consistently or it’s 3 and punt. All players have a free pass for last year but that pass is now expired. Celebrating a completed bomb when down 25 better be in the rear view.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I went to a practice this spring and from what I could tell there, it will be a toss up between Graham and Yates. Graham has really improved since last season from what I saw but Yates looks really sharp too. It will be a battle this fall camp but it’s 50/50 in my mind right now. Either way I’ll be happy.