Jameis Winston

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think what you a getting at is making that next leap. Most of these guys were the best athlete on the field in hs. Maybe they were so gifted that they could get by on talent alone and not have any work ethic. Well, that doesn't fly "at the next level." What separates the wannabe's from the prime time players is work ethic, that's what allows them to reach the upper limits of their potential envelope.

Maybe I'm jaded but I disagree a bit....I doubt Jameis Winston will ever be known...at any level...as a hard worker. Talented? No doubt. H succeeded purely on the latter IMO.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I'm jaded but I disagree a bit....I doubt Jameis Winston will ever be known...at any level...as a hard worker. Talented? No doubt. H succeeded purely on the latter IMO.

He may very well have worked hard in the meeting room, going over film, and on the practice field, honing technique with reads, drops, steps, arm angles, etc. He is immensely talented. Now, he certainly may not have put the work to be either an upstanding citizen and who knows how hard he worked in the classroom and in study hall.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I admit I wasn't there so I don't know. But judging from what I do know about his character....ill be very surprised to hear from those that were that I'm wrong.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Last edited:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be shocked if JW wasn't a hard worker. There is no way to be a good QB without a ton of work imho. Once outside the football realm, it's anybody's guess.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I would be shocked if JW wasn't a hard worker. There is no way to be a good QB without a ton of work imho. Once outside the football realm, it's anybody's guess.
Totally agree, and think how amazing he played his first season at fsu, no way he pulled that off without a ton of prep work

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ok well there is some proof I should eat crow. His off the field issues are an indicator of his character though. He may love football and dedicate his life to it....and a strong work ethic even there shows some positive character...but the character flaws will be a downfall eventually if he doesn't mature quite a bit. And he may. Time will tell. I'll root against him till it does.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
don't let these thing fool you, just because he does these things doesnt mean he's a good character guy. I'm pretty sure I have heard stories of teams and agents asking players to do these kind of things after they have messed up to try and get them a better name. Not saying this is the case with Winston though, because I honestly have no clue, and wish him the best.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck

A colleague at work coached Jameis in Little League. He indicated he was a great kid, athletically gifted along with being a very good student. He also comes from a good family.

As I look back on my life, I did some things I was not proud of however didn't have social media to publicize what I did. I learned from those indiscretions and would like to believe I became a better person because of that.

I think to define Jameis solely on his few, publicized indiscretions is not fair however I recognize life is not fair. People will pick and choose what happened over the course of one's life in coming up with a judgment. I save my life's judgment for a higher power to determine. I'm sure Jameis will do the same.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A colleague at work coached Jameis in Little League. He indicated he was a great kid, athletically gifted along with being a very good student. He also comes from a good family.

As I look back on my life, I did some things I was not proud of however didn't have social media to publicize what I did. I learned from those indiscretions and would like to believe I became a better person because of that.

I think to define Jameis solely on his few, publicized indiscretions is not fair however I recognize life is not fair. People will pick and choose what happened over the course of one's life in coming up with a judgment. I save my life's judgment for a higher power to determine. I'm sure Jameis will do the same.
Rape is not an indiscretion.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Uncool. Rape is a serious offense and should not be asserted as fact when the evidence was insufficient for indictment let alone a guilty verdict.
He got off on shoddy police work in Tally. The TPD dropped the ball many times over, all of which led to a lack of evidence. They didn't find evidence because they didn't look for it because they didn't want to find any.

Three weeks after Mr. Winston was publicly identified as the suspect, the storm had passed. The local prosecutor announced that he lacked the evidence to charge Mr. Winston with rape. The quarterback would go on to win the Heisman Trophy and lead Florida State to the national championship.
After a Florida State student accused quarterback Jameis Winston of rape, the police did not interview him or obtain his DNA. Phil Sears/Associated Press
In his announcement, the prosecutor, William N. Meggs, acknowledged a number of shortcomings in the police investigation. In fact, an examination by The New York Times has found that there was virtually no investigation at all, either by the police or the university.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-allegations-against-fsu-jameis-winston.html

Here's the highlights of the article if you don't wish to read it:

• The TPD suspended the investigation 66 days after the accuser filed her police report because, they said, she was being "uncooperative." The accuser denies being uncooperative.
  • Police were unable to identify Winston as the accused assailant, despite having what the NYT calls "three solid leads" toward obtaining his identity on the night the report was filed — 1) the name of another football player the accuser met at the bar, 2) security cameras at the bar, and 3) the student ID that was swiped in the taxi leaving the bar.
  • William Miggs, the state prosecutor, told the NYT, "Anybody that looked at this case would say you get a report at 2 in the morning, by noon you could have had the defendant identified and talked to."
  • After the accuser identified Winston 30 days later when she saw him on campus, police didn't interview him for two weeks.
  • When police called Winston to interview him, he said he had baseball practice. State prosecutors say he should have been contacted in person.
  • The TFD did not take a DNA sample from Winston until a year later.
  • One of Winston's friends, football player Chris Casher, admitted to taking a video of the sexual encounter, but he wasn't interviewed by police until nearly a year later, by which time he had deleted it.
http://www.businessinsider.com/jameis-winston-rape-investigation-2014-4

Even w/o this dispicable act, JW has done multiple stupid/low character stuff at FSU. I'm allowed my opinion and it's a very low one of this dude. I, also, would not want a son of mine attending his camp. Living in Florida, I have several FSU grad friends all of which can't stand the dude even though he brought them a natty.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Because the New York Times proved reliable in their coverage of Duke Lacrosse case ...

smdh

I don't know what happened, but I saw enough of the actual evidence to see that it was not a cut and dried issue.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He got off on shoddy police work in Tally. The TPD dropped the ball many times over, all of which led to a lack of evidence. They didn't find evidence because they didn't look for it because they didn't want to find any.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-allegations-against-fsu-jameis-winston.html

I think a better thing to read if you want to be objective is the decision in the code of conduct hearing:

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/full-copy-of-jameis-winston-hearing-decision-122114

The police didn't conduct their investigation in a professional manner as they should have. The NYT article is well written, but it does have a biased slant. This article is missing some exculpatory facts that are listed in the code-of-conduct decision. This article includes such things as: "For nearly a year, the events of that evening remained a well-kept secret until the woman’s allegations burst into the open, roiling the university and threatening a prized asset: Jameis Winston, one of the marquee names of college football." So, according the the NYT, FSU and the TPD new a year ahead of time that the QB on the scout team was going to be the leading candidate for the Heisman Trophy? The fact that the TPD did a poor job does not indicate anything about the guilt or innocence of Winston.

In the code-of-conduct decision, Justice Harding states: "In light of all of the circumstances, I do not find the credibility of one story substantially stronger than that of the other. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses." A person with extensive legal experience, all of the evidence, and a chance to ask questions of the accuser, accused, and witnesses was unable to decide even on a 50% basis who was being more truthful. I don't know what happened that night. I'm not going to try to decide what did happen with limited information when people with more experience in such matters and more access to information are not able to make a determination.

However to the question about work ethic, I do think that players who have great talent but little work ethic are more like Michael Vick. I have not watched him play in the NFL at all. In college Winston would work plays. He did do some good things on broken plays, but IIRC, he shined more when the play wasn't broken. Vick on the other hand shined most when the play broke down and he had to run. Running and juking are things that high-talent low-work-ethic players are good at. Understanding the pocket and working through progressions are not.