Jamal Haynes, Singleton & Rutherford (good news)

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is my same sentiment. We don’t need a Ferrari that can go 0-60. We need a F-150 that can carry 11 guys with him 4-5 yards downfield like Dontae.

Love Haynes and Cooley, but you can’t knock getting 3-4 yards almost guaranteed out of a guy every run.

One thing I'm excited to see is how Haynes develops with a full offseason at RB. The nutrition, S&C and training are very different. He switched over in the summer and was as good as he was. The coaches will be working on getting him to add some bulk and lower body strength. If he can add some more power to his game and keep most of his agility, he'll be a force to reckon with.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing I'm excited to see is how Haynes develops with a full offseason at RB. The nutrition, S&C and training are very different. He switched over in the summer and was as good as he was. The coaches will be working on getting him to add some bulk and lower body strength. If he can add some more power to his game and keep most of his agility, he'll be a force to reckon with.

This. He's a very dynamic RB. Funny enough, I thought he looked better and better between the tackles as the season progressed. His first game, his running track was getting disturbed by DTs pushing him and he would get off track, but as the season progressed, he was breaking arm tackles and bouncing off defenders on the first and second level.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking more of his blocking (don't know if he's a good blocker, but just based on his size) for both Hayneses.
I know they're out of style, but a fullback would be a great compliment to our scatback in a tandem backfield.
And with his top end speed and sufficient receiving talents, it would be great to get him on the field. The Jackets have plenty of good receivers.
That would involve a young offensive coordinator who can run plays from shotgun and under center. I don’t know if any offensive coach under 40 can grasp the concept of multiple sets.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
The way they phase these questions is ridiculous. I know it’s the world we live in, but it’s annoying. Especially coming from our best writers.

To me, all the portal questions to our players just come off as… “What do you mean you’re staying at Tech instead of taking a large payday somewhere else.”

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He does look young. And yet he's in our PhD program for chemical and biomolecular engineering.

Yup. I know the AJC did a write up about that. This is the first time I've seen him without his helmet. Of course, I'm in my 40's, so all the guys on the team look young.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Can anything be done about that? I feel like the NCAA is pretty much worthless, so does this just go into the complaint box that never gets read by HR?
Do you think some people with lose connections to GT don't reach out to potential transfers? WE likely don't to guys who are freshmen All Americans, but it's hard to believe someone hasn't reached out to guys from Georgia to gauge interest in coming home.

I seriously doubt the reaching out is from someone employed by the schools.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Do you think some people with lose connections to GT don't reach out to potential transfers? WE likely don't to guys who are freshmen All Americans, but it's hard to believe someone hasn't reached out to guys from Georgia to gauge interest in coming home.

I seriously doubt the reaching out is from someone employed by the schools.
Well, he said "some schools" contacted his family. He didn't say "some guys", or "some people affiliated with other schools". He didn't say his family reached out to other schools. You may be correct, but I don't see why you would give other schools the benefit of the doubt based on the words in his statement.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That would involve a young offensive coordinator who can run plays from shotgun and under center. I don’t know if any offensive coach under 40 can grasp the concept of multiple sets.
You are correct fullbacks are going the way of the Dodo bird. Generally they don't add a lot of value to an offense unless the offensive coach in one of the best at his trade.

Kyle Shanahan is now 44 (on Thursday). He has used fullbacks for the past 15 years as an OC and HC in the NFL. That would mean he was 35 when he started. He is an offensive mastermind! Most of his large coaching tree will use a fullback though not many as often as he does.

Generally a WR brings more value in the way of explosive plays to an offense.

Another reason for the demise of the fullback is the read option play. As GT fans know well option plays generally leave one defender on the or near the LOS unblocked giving the offense an advantage in numbers as the QB is also a runner. The read option is a staple of college football and has been for 20 years negating the use of a fullback.

Lastly as rules favor the offense in the passing game now more than ever that means fewer running plays. It was fun watching fullbacks take on DBs back in the day. FBs generally won those battles.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Well, he said "some schools" contacted his family. He didn't say "some guys", or "some people affiliated with other schools". He didn't say his family reached out to other schools. You may be correct, but I don't see why you would give other schools the benefit of the doubt based on the words in his statement.
Seriously! There will be a connection, but as I said they won't be an employee of the school.

Do you think GT is different than the other schools? If so what make you think that?

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah and how well did running from shotgun and center work for Brian Ferentz and Iowa's offense?

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
D2356803-E968-49E7-BFAE-47BD0A8DA707.jpeg

You love to see it