Jamal Haynes, Singleton & Rutherford (good news)

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
"Relatively high level"... Relative to what? This is for an entire year. The number 4 wr in his class before his injuries had 337 total yards. Injuries can derail an athlete's career. Not crapping on the kid cause he could not control this. Original point is that I hope our injured guys can come back fully and not skip a beat but, we need to bring in someone in case that dies not happen because performance after two MAJOR injuries is not guaranteed to be seamless.
Relative to Blackburn, who has basically not contributed at all. Relative to the average scholarship receiver on our roster. Blaylock is still playing ball and still contributing significantly, but it seems like you are treating him like a prized race horse that's broken a leg, like he is useless now and due to be put down.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Relative to Blackburn, who has basically not contributed at all. Relative to the average scholarship receiver on our roster. Blaylock is still playing ball and still contributing significantly, but it seems like you are treating him like a prized race horse that's broken a leg, like he is useless now and due to be put down.
Blaylock had the 4th highest receiving total yards of an average of 10 different receivers with a catch per game. That’s not bad at all.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Here's a thought.

One of our problems next year will be replacing Dontae. Cooley iOS coming back and he very well could move into that slot. But hwy not think about moving Boyd to RB? At present all that size (6'2", 232) and speed (he cuts a legit 4.4) is going to waste; he isn't playing much and has a load of good WRs in front of him. It worked for Haynes. Why not for Boyd?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Here's a thought.

One of our problems next year will be replacing Dontae. Cooley iOS coming back and he very well could move into that slot. But hwy not think about moving Boyd to RB? At present all that size (6'2", 232) and speed (he cuts a legit 4.4) is going to waste; he isn't playing much and has a load of good WRs in front of him. It worked for Haynes. Why not for Boyd?
Not a half-bad idea.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Here's a thought.

Has he ever player RB? There is a lot of skill required to be an RB. Haynes had played RB in HS.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Has he ever player RB? There is a lot of skill required to be an RB. Haynes had played RB in HS.
Exactly!!! One of the guys on our staff (I think Kenyatta Watson Sr.) saw his potential at running back when he committed to us.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
RB’s need to be able accelerate 0-60 quick, i’m not sure if Boyd is geared that way or not?
I was thinking more of his blocking (don't know if he's a good blocker, but just based on his size) for both Hayneses.
I know they're out of style, but a fullback would be a great compliment to our scatback in a tandem backfield.
And with his top end speed and sufficient receiving talents, it would be great to get him on the field. The Jackets have plenty of good receivers.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I was thinking more of his blocking (don't know if he's a good blocker, but just based on his size) for both Hayneses.
I know they're out of style, but a fullback would be a great compliment to our scatback in a tandem backfield.
And with his top end speed and sufficient receiving talents, it would be great to get him on the field. The Jackets have plenty of good receivers.
This is my same sentiment. We don’t need a Ferrari that can go 0-60. We need a F-150 that can carry 11 guys with him 4-5 yards downfield like Dontae.

Love Haynes and Cooley, but you can’t knock getting 3-4 yards almost guaranteed out of a guy every run.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is my same sentiment. We don’t need a Ferrari that can go 0-60. We need a F-150 that can carry 11 guys with him 4-5 yards downfield like Dontae.

Love Haynes and Cooley, but you can’t knock getting 3-4 yards almost guaranteed out of a guy every run.
Skill tops size in RBs every time. Now if you get a highly skilled bigger back great. Just getting a big guy is a waste unless they are very good. Vision, agility, decision making, quickness and speed are needed in RBs. Size is in the nice to have category.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ll second this. I was the fastest kid on the team in highschool (not crazy fast, our school just lacked athleticism) but sat at 3rd-4th string RB because there were multiple dudes who had better vision, change of direction and accelerating through holes. It is an extremely difficult skill set to pick up. In my opinion, it’s something you’re born with more than anything. I’m best friends with the 1st string to this day- he has with worst hands of all time, and didn’t hit hard. But the dude is slippery as can be.

With that, I don’t think we’ll get a portal RB. Im pretty sure we redshirted Evan Dickens, and that guy is the truth in my eyes. I think he will rotate with Jamal next year.
Cooley never blew me away, but could improve like anyone else.
We also saw some of Daylon Gordon in the spring game, who looks like a very hard, compact downhill runner.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Really glad Singleton is staying. We all know tampering happens, but it's rare to see it called out so explicitly:

https://twitter.com/Kelly_Quinlan
@Kelly_Quinlan

Freshman WR Eric Singleton Jr. said when he made the decision to come to Georgia Tech, he never had a plan to leave once he signed with GT. The portal wasn't on his mind. He said some schools reached out to his family but he wants to be at GT.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Really glad Singleton is staying. We all know tampering happens, but it's rare to see it called out so explicitly:

@Kelly_Quinlan

Freshman WR Eric Singleton Jr. said when he made the decision to come to Georgia Tech, he never had a plan to leave once he signed with GT. The portal wasn't on his mind. He said some schools reached out to his family but he wants to be at GT.

I saw that tweet and was so pissed.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow

@Kelly_Quinlan

Can anything be done about that? I feel like the NCAA is pretty much worthless, so does this just go into the complaint box that never gets read by HR?