Jamal Haynes: 999 yards from scrimmage

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Watch Kyle Efford’s running back highlights. I remember watching them 2 years ago. Dude is a bulldozer. Really wish he came in on 4th and 1.
yep, I said that at first of yr,.We needed to put in the backfield on short-yardage plays.He was a bull in HS. (although he looks slimmer now)

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Give the young man his propers.
141 rushes for 850 yards and 7 TDs. 6 ypc
19 receptions for 149 yards and a tuddy.

Not bad for a former slot receiver. Need to get him 20 touches per game going forward, and find a bruiser to compliment him.

Moving him to RB, along with placing Birr as the starting K, has probably meant a few more wins.

Jamal has good to be one of the most successful (if not THE most ) position changes I've ever seen at GT. Can anyone think of a better?
The fellow from Ala as a QB moved to DB (killed clemson) but I don't think he really was a QB here. or maybe the little speedball wishbone HB that moved to WR ('76?) and played pro later.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Jamal has good to be one of the most successful (if not THE most ) position changes I've ever seen at GT. Can anyone think of a better?
The fellow from Ala as a QB moved to DB (killed clemson) but I don't think he really was a QB here. or maybe the little speedball wishbone HB that moved to WR ('76?) and played pro later.
Synjyn Days did pretty well going from QB to B back

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100%. But I believe he went from QB to A-Back to B-Back. He did what they asked him to, and ultimately found the right place where he could shine.

One of my favorite players for that reason.
Pretty much half the starting secondary in 2014 technically came in as QBs and got a look (likely 1 practice haha) their first spring. Chris Milton, Jamal Golden, and Demond Smith

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Early in the year you could see that Haynes was a former WR. He had little idea of finding a hole (even if one was available) and was pretty much clueless in the trash. He has improved greatly over the year, however. He can't make a hole, but he has learned to look for holes and has the speed to find them. He has also learned to follow the herd on short yardage and keep those legs churning. He is still to small to reliably break tackles, but he's quite capable of running away from a D when he gets the chance. If we keep him, I think he'll be a real asset next year.

Thanks for your efforts, Jamal! Good luck tonight and THWG!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Early in the year you could see that Haynes was a former WR. He had little idea of finding a hole (even if one was available) and was pretty much clueless in the trash. He has improved greatly over the year, however. He can't make a hole, but he has learned to look for holes and has the speed to find them. He has also learned to follow the herd on short yardage and keep those legs churning. He is still to small to reliably break tackles, but he's quite capable of running away from a D when he gets the chance. If we keep him, I think he'll be a real asset next year.

Thanks for your efforts, Jamal! Good luck tonight and THWG!
Some good coaching to move him to RB.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
You can go off yards per game see he had a progression through the year, but I think part of that can be attributed to our line getting better as well.

But just going off eye test, am I the only thinking he got more explosive every game? I mean the dude is lightening and hits like thunder. Crazy mix of talent.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You can go off yards per game see he had a progression through the year, but I think part of that can be attributed to our line getting better as well.

But just going off eye test, am I the only thinking he got more explosive every game? I mean the dude is lightening and hits like thunder. Crazy mix of talent.
He definitely got more comfortable at the running back position as the year went on. His vision and ability to not only absorb hits, but to deliver them got way better as the year went on. He started playing RB like the dudes Georgia and Bama always have playing RB. He’ll likely be a legitimate draft prospect next year, I hope he’s still a Yellow Jacket on August 24

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty much half the starting secondary in 2014 technically came in as QBs and got a look (likely 1 practice haha) their first spring. Chris Milton, Jamal Golden, and Demond Smith
If I remember correctly, CPJ said he liked to recruit a lot of QB's because as high school players they were generally the best athletes on the team. Then once they got to Tech, if they didn't win the QB job he would move them to other positions where they could be successful such as DB or WR or RB.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Haynes is a tough as nails runner, hope he stays out his scholarship. Would be hard to replace especially without Dontae