Jamal Golden

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have been thinking about this guy for a couple days after reading pro day stuff and passing on punt return duties etc. I want to take a moment and recognize him for the sheer depth of his contributions to our program. Let's just stop and think about how many times he saved our bacon. This list is just going off memory at the moment and I am sure there is more I am leaving out:

Huge punt return against USC Sun Bowl that flipped the script and put us in the driver's seat in a close contest.

KO return for TD against UNC 2013 that kept our momentum in a barn burner of a game. Without that single play to start half two, things could have been way different.

Pick 6 going the length of the field against Clemson 2014 that was essentially a 14 point swing in a game where our offense had trouble finishing drives. Do we win without that play?

Crushing hit in Orange Bowl where he reads option quickly and hustles into position to make the perfectly timed hit as the ball arrives. Think about the flow of the game when that play happened. Think of the yards MSST was racking up. Do we keep momentum and win without that play?

Huge interceptions and break ups at critical times in several games, MIAMI 2014 being one. The "no fly zone" was a theme that repeated itself over and over.

I guess part of the the reason I want to talk about him is, in my estimation, he was the most instinctive and intelligent defensive player we have had since Morgan Burnett. I'm sure some of you will add to my list of plays, as well you should, but when you do, also consider the kind of numbers he put up on GT's Pro Day. He made all of these critical, game changing plays, with below average safety body size, running a 40 in the 4.6s, 9 bench reps etc etc. I am a huge Golden fan because he shows how important the intangible stuff is to any sport. He put the time in watching film and played the game with the 6 inches between his ears, all while representing GT as a great ambassador.

Bravo Jamal! and good luck.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
The endzone interception against FSU in the Miracle on Techwood was critical as well as a few pass break-ups. Certainly one of my favorite players all around.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
IF I remember correctly, he came in as a QB or at least he was a QB in highschool. We need all those types we can get. Great Ambassador for Georgia Tech and a true Tech man. Good luck Jamal!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Golden had many game changing moments.

He did cause the fumble on the GSU pitch that allowed the GT comeback.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I guess part of the the reason I want to talk about him is, in my estimation, he was the most instinctive and intelligent defensive player we have had since Morgan Burnett. I'm sure some of you will add to my list of plays, as well you should, but when you do, also consider the kind of numbers he put up on GT's Pro Day. He made all of these critical, game changing plays, with below average safety body size, running a 40 in the 4.6s, 9 bench reps etc etc. I am a huge Golden fan because he shows how important the intangible stuff is to any sport. He put the time in watching film and played the game with the 6 inches between his ears, all while representing GT as a great ambassador.

Bravo Jamal! and good luck.
You're right and I would add Jemea Thomas to your very select list.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Jamal was just an all around awesome player for us, I don't think he'll end up in the league (although I wouldn't put it past him to hang around a few years at the end of a roster or practice squad) but he's clearly someone who is willing to put in the work required to succeed. Even if he doesn't find success on the field, I have no doubt he'll find it off the field.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Golden is one of those players where the measurables don't come near to telling you how well they'll play at the next level. My favorite example of that is Joe Kapp. By any standard of talent Kapp should never have seen the field in the NFL; shoot, if talent alone was the gage, he'd never have made a practice squad. But, like Jamal, he simply had it. He did the right things at the right time and he absolutely loved playing football.

I'm pretty sure that Golden will play on Sunday for somebody. He's got the knack.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm pretty sure that Golden will play on Sunday for somebody. He's got the knack.
It will be interesting to see. While I am rooting for him, I am not so sure. There have been other slow safeties in the league, but usually they carried the hammer. Smart always helps though. Who am I to tell a guy he can't?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see. While I am rooting for him, I am not so sure. There have been other slow safeties in the league, but usually they carried the hammer. Smart always helps though. Who am I to tell a guy he can't?
I do think he needs a coach who is attuned to football players, rather then their combine readings. Kapp made it with the Vikings in part because he embodied Bud Grant's "take no prisoners" attitude for the team. (I still remember Grant pacing the sidelines in the middle of snow storms in nothing but a team sweat shirt. The example caught on.) We'll see with Jamal. I still think he'll stick somewhere, especially if he sees the field enough.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I do think he needs a coach who is attuned to football players, rather then their combine readings. Kapp made it with the Vikings in part because he embodied Bud Grant's "take no prisoners" attitude for the team. (I still remember Grant pacing the sidelines in the middle of snow storms in nothing but a team sweat shirt. The example caught on.) We'll see with Jamal. I still think he'll stick somewhere, especially if he sees the field enough.
New England has a history of that.