Jalen Camp: Catch or No Catch?

Was this a catch?

• Catch

Votes: 84 71.2%
  • No Catch

Votes: 34 28.8%

• Total voters
I think (b) applied here. Others disagree and say that the heel never touched OB.

My interpretation is it is not a catch if you catch ball, toe lands inbounds but the natural motion of heel coming down follows and heel (part of foot) touches OB. That's how I read rule... & how I saw this play today.
OK, I re-read it, and I have to agree with what you said. I don't like it, but that's the rule, I guess.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Heel not heal... picture from TV

Can you look at some shots like a quarter to 1 second later? After this point, as he's going to the ground, if his heel touches at all, it's not a catch. If his heel never touches at all, then it is a catch.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Can you look at some shots like a quarter to 1 second later? After this point, as he's going to the ground, if his heel touches at all, it's not a catch. If his heel never touches at all, then it is a catch.
That shot is actually on the way back up. The back of his heel never touches. It could be debated whether the middle of his shoe was out or not. However I haven't seen anything that would "confirm" the call.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not a catch and not particultly close IMO. Great effort, though. Now someone explain how Lynch interfered by being thrown down.

I agree about Lynch.

What makes you say the called no-catch wasn't even close? What did you see that confirms it wasn't a catch?

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Not a catch and not particultly close IMO. Great effort, though. Now someone explain how Lynch interfered by being thrown down.

That was a blown call for sure - but if you go back and watch it - I think I know why they called PI. Lynch ran right at the DB, and the DB pushed him high, he lost balance. He grabbed the DBs arm so as not to fall over backwards. I think the official saw the grab but not the push.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
That was a blown call for sure - but if you go back and watch it - I think I know why they called PI. Lynch ran right at the DB, and the DB pushed him high, he lost balance. He grabbed the DBs arm so as not to fall over backwards. I think the official saw the grab but not the push.

On the replay, I see the receiver running into to the DB who puts up his hands to protect himself. I think it was the back judge that through the flag.

Deleted member 2897

This poll leaves out important context, with all due respect. It would have been a catch except that Georgia Tech is the team in play. You have to remember we are the most disrespected, underrated, overlooked football team and then make this call. :)

Did anybody watch other games like Michigan and Alabama? Some really easily blown calls that were just inexplicable. You have to throw this ball better and you can’t depend on the Refs for anything. They are humans and make mistakes all the time.

Deleted member 2897

Anybody see Alabama’s fumble that Louisville returned for a score? It was in the wide open in plain sight, was clearly caused by the ground when he fell, but every Ref on the field just let it go. Easily overturned, which was good. But it was so obvious I can’t for the life of me understand why it wasn’t blown dead when it happened. He was kind of hurdling a guy and got tripped up so there was literally nobody around to block a clean view of the play. Those kinds of stupid bad calls happen 2-3 times a day. You gotta win by 14 points to make sure a Ref can’t impact the game because of that.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Anybody see Alabama’s fumble that Louisville returned for a score? It was in the wide open in plain sight, was clearly caused by the ground when he fell, but every Ref on the field just let it go. Easily overturned, which was good. But it was so obvious I can’t for the life of me understand why it wasn’t blown dead when it happened. He was kind of hurdling a guy and got tripped up so there was literally nobody around to block a clean view of the play. Those kinds of stupid bad calls happen 2-3 times a day. You gotta win by 14 points to make sure a Ref can’t impact the game because of that.

I’m glad they let it go. If there’s even the least bit of doubt, you let it go. If you blow it dead, and then overturn it, you’ve harmed the defending team much more.

Deleted member 2897

I’m glad they let it go. If there’s even the least bit of doubt, you let it go. If you blow it dead, and then overturn it, you’ve harmed the defending team much more.

It’s a good point, but that implies there was some level of doubt in their minds. But I just don’t see how there could have been. Nobody was around him, he was airborn, and then the ball popped out when he slammed back on the ground. Your suggestion is a good one if there is any doubt. I’m just wondering how they had any doubt.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s a good point, but that implies there was some level of doubt in their minds. But I just don’t see how there could have been. Nobody was around him, he was airborn, and then the ball popped out when he slammed back on the ground. Your suggestion is a good one if there is any doubt. I’m just wondering how they had any doubt.
I don't know, watching it live I couldn't tell if he held onto it all the way to the ground or if it was starting to come up. I thought the refs did the right thing for once. I said out loud "Oooo, that might be a fumble . . ."

If you watch the super slow replay, the ball does actually move off his forearm a little about 3-4 inches before he hits the ground.

Generally though, you can tell by a player's body language afterward whether they fumbled it or not. If they just get up like what's the big deal? The way Tua did, it's probably not a fumble. When they are immediately scrambling for the ball, they think they lost it and it most likely is a fumble.