Jahmyr Gibbs, Quez Jackson named to preseason All-ACC team

LibertyTurns

Banned
You started this by claiming our OL was so good. They were okay in CPJ’s offense but remember the whole “we need to get bigger” thing?
I’m starting to understand now. We had a great running attack despite not having an OL worth a crap. I always thought the OL blocked for the RBs. Maybe we can use that same magical trickery to give Sims a chance to pass? Somebody needs to let Goober know. We’ve been wasting all this time building a new OL when all we need is a scheme that works.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’m starting to understand now. We had a great running attack despite not having an OL worth a crap. I always thought the OL blocked for the RBs. Maybe we can use that same magical trickery to give Sims a chance to pass? Somebody needs to let Goober know. We’ve been wasting all this time building a new OL when all we need is a scheme that works.
SMH

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I can explain it to you but in a understand it for you. A person can be talented in doing something a certain way and struggle to do it differently. If you can’t understand that basic concept I don’t know what to say except I really hope you didn’t get your degree from Tech. No one said our old OL wasn’t worth a crap. What was said was they were built for and excelled in a scheme that called for different skills.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Back to the topic at hand, we will get more recognition for pre-Season ACC when we have a better record. Basically our OL, special teams (now that Harvin is gone) and the defense have no real recognition. Assuming we can play more balanced this year, awards should come. It is hard to overcome perception that losing our 6 ACC games by double digit leaves a very bad impression (Syracuse -17, Clemson -66, Boston College -21, Notre Dame -18, NC State -10, Pittsburgh -14). Pre-Season awards come from either stellar previous play or perception of the team. Right now, we don't have the previous player performance from 2020 (or before) and clearly two straight years of 3 wins puts us very low on the positive perception scale.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I can explain it to you but in a understand it for you. A person can be talented in doing something a certain way and struggle to do it differently. If you can’t understand that basic concept I don’t know what to say except I really hope you didn’t get your degree from Tech.

Please take over this typical GTScorn option vs. every other offense debate. This is exhausting

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Back to the topic at hand, we will get more recognition for pre-Season ACC when we have a better record. Basically our OL, special teams (now that Harvin is gone) and the defense have no real recognition. Assuming we can play more balanced this year, awards should come. It is hard to overcome perception that losing our 6 ACC games by double digit leaves a very bad impression (Syracuse -17, Clemson -66, Boston College -21, Notre Dame -18, NC State -10, Pittsburgh -14). Pre-Season awards come from either stellar previous play or perception of the team. Right now, we don't have the previous player performance from 2020 (or before) and clearly two straight years of 3 wins puts us very low on the positive perception scale.

This is fair, although it's not just about record (see: Syracuse, Wake). When you have guys that put up stats on a bad team that are returning upper classmen, you can also get recognition. We really don't have any of those guys. On D, the possible candidates (Tre & Yeh for example) simply did not meet expectations individually last year where the whole team went through a statistically regression on D. I don't think that has any real bearing on the upcoming season, and Tre when healthy I think was excellent. You just don't see him targeted a lot, which is a good thing for a CB, but it certainly doesn't create much noise. On O, I think they ought to recognize Cochran given his performance history, and I think Johnson could also have a great year, but I'm not sure you can blame the writers for not having a great deal to go on. Their individual recognition will depend a lot upon team success. I'd say McGowan and Carter have solid chances to get these honors after the season, but again Carter has never had the numbers to back this up, and McGowan is not known to the league yet. For those positions, though, it's almost exclusively about the numbers. Yeah we get a couple of weaker opponents to pad our stats against this year, but they're going to have to do some damage in the league to make it. Which probably means the O will have to take a big step because we still figure to be run-heavy, and a lot of the scrap yards are going to be picked up by Sims scrambling.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
I can explain it to you but in a understand it for you. A person can be talented in doing something a certain way and struggle to do it differently. If you can’t understand that basic concept I don’t know what to say except I really hope you didn’t get your degree from Tech. No one said our old OL wasn’t worth a crap. What was said was they were built for and excelled in a scheme that called for different skills.
"Like" one million times...say it a little slower for the "hard to learn" crowd

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Its great that they recognize Gibbs' talent.He is ultra-valuable to us but I will be surprised if he goes the season without missing time from injury as last yr.
Also maybe Sims will learn to slide so he won't go out also.
Two losses would disasterous.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
So this is a strange discussion but yes, losing your starting QB is always trouble. Gibbs, not so much, we are loaded with very good RBs.
There's a big difference between having good to very good running backs on the field vs having a legitimate home run threat every time he touches the ball on the field. You might be selling Gibbs a little short here. If we wanna sniff a bowl game, he's gonna have to play in all or nearly all of the games.

There's a big difference between having good to very good running backs on the field vs having a legitimate home run threat every time he touches the ball on the field. You might be selling Gibbs a little short here. If we wanna sniff a bowl game, he's gonna have to play in all or nearly all of the games.
I think between Mason, an All ACC RB, Smith, and Griffin, we would do just fine if we lost Gibbs. The RB position, particularly in this offense, is not what it used to be. But still, you never want to lose starters.