Jahmyr Gibbs IS WARMING UP ON THE FIELD IN TALLAHASSEE

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
WRONG!

It's 2020 man... check the latest rules. His class will be eligible to declare for the spring 2023 draft no matter what his "eligibility" is to play for Tech, even with an extra year of eligibility. If he's as good as we think he is we will AT MOST have him for just the 2020, 2021, and 2022 seasons, PERIOD. Redshirting him means we would only have him for two years instead of three.

Play him immediately and reap the maximum rewards from his outstanding skills, because we won't have him beyond three seasons whether he redshirts or not.
The latest rules say that this year doesn't count for anyone no matter how many games they play. There is no eligibility reason to hold anyone out.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
The latest rules say that this year doesn't count for anyone no matter how many games they play. There is no eligibility reason to hold anyone out.
Gibbs will still be eligible to declare for the spring 2023 draft after the 2022 season no matter what the ncaa says about "eligibility". To hell with the ncaa rules, they don't even apply to this conversation, the NFL DRAFT RULES are the driver here.

This is pretty cut and dried guys. We have a choice, play him in 2020, 2021, and 2022, or redshirt him for 2020 and play him only in 2021 and 2022. I say give me three years of Gibbs instead of two.

Last edited:

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually I never rely on MSM, and CNN is quite a stretch to even qualify for MSM... my source was a lot closer to home than you obviously think.

Play Gibbs for the maximum number of games as you're fortunate enough for him to play for us.

man, so I guess you know how it feels? Great source but not 100% accurate but your source actually was correct where it mattered (Gibbs didn’tplay)

weird

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs will still be eligible to declare for the spring 2023 draft after the 2022 season no matter what the ncaa says about "eligibility". To hell with the ncaa rules, they don't even apply to this conversation, the NFL DRAFT RULES are the driver here.

This is pretty cut and dried guys. We have a choice, play him in 2020, 2021, and 2022, or redshirt him for 2020 and play him only in 2021 and 2022. I say give me three years of Gibbs instead of two.

My point is that there is no such thing as a "redshirt" this year. The post you were responding to said to "redshirt" him to have him available for another year. Playing or not playing has no impact on eligibility. There is no reason not to play any player if the coaches believe he will help the team.

EDIT: We cannot "redshirt" Gibbs this year, becuase every single player gets the equivalent of a "redshirt" this year even if they play.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
My point is that there is no such thing as a "redshirt" this year. The post you were responding to said to "redshirt" him to have him available for another year. Playing or not playing has no impact on eligibility. There is no reason not to play any player if the coaches believe he will help the team.

EDIT: We cannot "redshirt" Gibbs this year, becuase every single player gets the equivalent of a "redshirt" this year even if they play.
Understood. I'm I was just responding to the idea of not playing him this year in order to "save" a year of eligibility. I think redshirts are going to be rare with the NFL draft rule anyway.

I keep remembering Coach Johnson's disgust when he was hired at how Gailey burned a year of Josh Nesbitt's eligibility so he could play on special teams as a true freshman. Imagine what Nesbitt could have accomplished for us with that extra year as a redshirt senior.

Last edited:

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
man, so I guess you know how it feels? Great source but not 100% accurate but your source actually was correct where it mattered (Gibbs didn’tplay)

weird
I was going by someone with direct connections into the GTAA, not some press hack. There appears to have been at least one player who may have been held out due to covid protocols... it was a mistake to connect Gibbs in that.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Understood. I'm I was just responding to the idea of not playing him this year in order to "save" a year of eligibility.
Maybe I should have responded to the same post that you responded to instead of yours. I was just trying to point out that there is no eligibility to "save" this year. Play or not play this year doe not count as a year of eligibility. It is like everyone gets a redshirt, or an additional redshirt.

I think redshirts are going to be rare with the NFL draft rule anyway.
Why do you think this? The NFL draft eligibility rules haven't changed recently. The NFL has been able to draft Juniors since 1990. (actually just based on years since high school graduation, not any label the NCAA puts on a player) If it is because you believe GT is going to be made up of exclusively NFL players, even Alabama had almost half of their players redshirt last year.