Jahmyr Gibbs IS WARMING UP ON THE FIELD IN TALLAHASSEE

So if I am the coaching staff I talk to Gibbs about redshirting this year. Unless we have a bunch of injuries I just don't see the need for him to play. Mason will probably be gone after this year and it looks to me like we have 3 very good running backs.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So if I am the coaching staff I talk to Gibbs about redshirting this year. Unless we have a bunch of injuries I just don't see the need for him to play. Mason will probably be gone after this year and it looks to me like we have 3 very good running backs.

That would be a waste, Colorado, because this year does NOT count against his 4 year eligibility. Now, if he is injured, then yes, don't play him, but if healthy, use him as much as we can.

That would be a waste, Colorado, because this year does NOT count against his 4 year eligibility. Now, if he is injured, then yes, don't play him, but if healthy, use him as much as we can.
I'm just saying that running backs, particularly like Mason, need a lot of carries to get the juice flowing. Unless we go back to 85% running there will not be enough work to go around. Also are you sure this year does not count for all players or just seniors on their 4th year?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm just saying that running backs, particularly like Mason, need a lot of carries to get the juice flowing. Unless we go back to 85% running there will not be enough work to go around. Also are you sure this year does not count for all players or just seniors on their 4th year?

ALL players - they mentioned last night that even Jeff Simms is getting a free year, and he is a true frosh. RB's take a beating, so having 3 or 4 good ones, and everything I hear is that Gibbs is the most special, is a great thing - allow everyone to play some series. That is what the big boys, like Bama, do. The players know if they carry the rock 10-15 times a game instead of 30, their chances of making an NFL payday one day is much greater. It is a SELLING point, not a negative, for the elite players.

We can agree to disagree on this one - RB's get stronger as the game goes on generally because the defense tires from just competing. I don't think the reason guys start off slow sometimes is because they "need to get the juices flowing", but because the D is fresh at the beginning of the game.

Again, I respect your opinion - it won't matter either of our opinions if Gibbs is healthy, he will play.

ALL players - they mentioned last night that even Jeff Simms is getting a free year, and he is a true frosh. RB's take a beating, so having 3 or 4 good ones, and everything I hear is that Gibbs is the most special, is a great thing - allow everyone to play some series. That is what the big boys, like Bama, do. The players know if they carry the rock 10-15 times a game instead of 30, their chances of making an NFL payday one day is much greater. It is a SELLING point, not a negative, for the elite players.

We can agree to disagree on this one - RB's get stronger as the game goes on generally because the defense tires from just competing. I don't think the reason guys start off slow sometimes is because they "need to get the juices flowing", but because the D is fresh at the beginning of the game.

Again, I respect your opinion - it won't matter either of our opinions if Gibbs is healthy, he will play.

Wow if this is a free year think about it. 75% of the players yesterday were Seniors and Juniors. If they stay one more year we could have some really good seasons. Now of course.....what happens to the class of 2021????

64jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
NO !!!! THAT KID PLAYS NOW. HE'S A FREAK. WHAT ALL SAYING ABOUT SIMS IS WHAT YOU'LL BE SAYING ABOUT GIBB'S ONCE YOU SEE HIM PLAY. HE'S A DIFFERENCE-MAKER.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This year doesn’t count for any player on any team. The NCAA is expected to increase the number of players from 85 over the next 4 years so teams can continue to recruit. Think something like 105 next year, then 100 the next, then 95 the next, until we get back down to 85. That is why GT being a young team will benefit more than most. The factories will lose guys to the NFL. We will get most of our kids back except those who get jobs or simply move on due to lack of playing time. Gibbs, Mason, Griffin, and others will rotate. I imagine whoever pass protects the best will get more PT but Gibbs will be the RB receiver we’ve really never have had.

GT_EE78

Banned
with 5 yr to play plus a redhirt year,some of these guys could be around for a while. When can they enter the draft? is after the jr year? Will it now be ok to go after either the first or second junior year?

slugboy

Staff member
I think I’d like to see Gibbs in the slot as a speed threat and Mason or Griffin as the tailback, and be able to run a double or triple option with Gibbs, or a run-pass with Gibbs as the primary pass threat.

Running a play option with Gibbs as a screen threat could be brutal. Faking the run to Mason or Griffin and screening to Gibbs would get a shifty runner out into space.

I watched a little of Anderson from UCF, and using Gibbs the same way would be scary for the other teams.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
with 5 yr to play plus a redhirt year,some of these guys could be around for a while. When can they enter the draft? is after the jr year? Will it now be ok to go after either the first or second junior year?

they just need to be out of high school for 3 years.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
If he’s as good as advertised we won’t have him more than three years. And this one doesn’t count according to the NCAA, eligibility wise.

Deleted member 2897

I mean someone on here also said Pressley Harvin was in no shape to play this game and was at deaths door.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
WRONG!

It's 2020 man... check the latest rules. His class will be eligible to declare for the spring 2023 draft no matter what his "eligibility" is to play for Tech, even with an extra year of eligibility. If he's as good as we think he is we will AT MOST have him for just the 2020, 2021, and 2022 seasons, PERIOD. Redshirting him means we would only have him for two years instead of three.

Play him immediately and reap the maximum rewards from his outstanding skills, because we won't have him beyond three seasons whether he redshirts or not.

Last edited: