Jahmyr Gibbs Hype Thread

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope we run some 2 back sets with throws to our RB's on the edge to get them the ball in one on one situations. We have some guys now that can motor in space.

With the RB depth we have, we should run some three back sets with two slot backs and a fullback. Then we could run a play with a blocker and the QB would have triple options for.... wait, oh...

Deleted member 2897

Mason is still the starter. Let's not forget he's one of the top runningbacks in college football. He's a proven back on this level.

Gibbs is a special talent, and he's going to be like any other freshmen with his credentials: He'll give you spectacular moments to go with freshmen mistakes. We saw it last season with Griffin. We saw it with Dwyer when he backed up our boy Tashard Choice.

Ya'll...this is what it's like to be talent rich at a position. We've got two 4 star RBs, and proven top notch college RB whose most likely playing in the NFL. Heck, we have another 4 star RB that hasn't even entered the conversation (Bruce Jordan Swilling). In the next 2-3 years, I'm pretty confident this staff is gonna stack enough talent on the roster to have the same discussion about pretty much every position on the field.

My how things change. We have 3 quarterbacks rated 4-stars too. And multiple WRs. On the right track!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Jokes aside, we will 100% have some triple plays in the playbook. Ran it sparingly last year.

Just having a triple doesn't really work. Shotgun option schemes typically work better with double options because options from the gun do not hit as fast as under center. I'd rather us not run any real triple from the gun the risk reward just isn't there. When the mesh point is already 6 yards behind the line a failed read is like a sack instead of no gain.

Georgia Southern had a much higher 3 and out rate than any other triple team under fritz despite being damn good because of this reason.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I'd totally take your side over the guy who was a top 4 rb in school history and also an NFL vet turned coach... but please continue....
Actually, Gibbs reminds me a bit of Choice. Like Choice, he's hard to bring down, knows how to find a hole, and is pretty cute in the open. Also like Choice, he's no Tony Dorsett when it comes top speed. I'm sure he'll prove to be a fine RB at Tech, once he gets the chance.

But does everybody here remember the hype Griffin got last year? How he was going to start right away and run roughshod over opposing Ds and all that? He may do just that this year (his blocking will be better), but, with the exception of a couple of highlight runs, he wasn't all that effective last year. I expect him to be much more capable after a year's experience and I expect the same from Gibbs.

But you never can tell. Maybe he'll turn out to be as good as his clippings. Provided he gets a chance to play, that is.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Actually, Gibbs reminds me a bit of Choice. Like Choice, he's hard to bring down, knows how to find a hole, and is pretty cute in the open. Also like Choice, he's no Tony Dorsett when it comes top speed. I'm sure he'll prove to be a fine RB at Tech, once he gets the chance.

But does everybody here remember the hype Griffin got last year? How he was going to start right away and run roughshod over opposing Ds and all that? He may do just that this year (his blocking will be better), but, with the exception of a couple of highlight runs, he wasn't all that effective last year. I expect him to be much more capable after a year's experience and I expect the same from Gibbs.

But you never can tell. Maybe he'll turn out to be as good as his clippings. Provided he gets a chance to play, that is.
How bad did it hurt to type that?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Griffin got hype, but it isn't the same.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
TTP-choice and griffin are different than Gibbs. They are both Thunder backs where Gibbs is lightning. Gibbs has so much more wiggle and shiftiness than either of those guys.

Mason kept Griffin off the field and believe he(G) will be waiting a little more before he is the guy. Gibbs will be a 3rd down back for us this year ala Kamara was in his early AND he will pick up some 3rd and longs and add some TD’s.

I think Gibbs is a 4.5 guy where Choice and Griffin are more like 4.7. Not a huge gap but just enough with his shake to make guys miss.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
TTP-choice and griffin are different than Gibbs. They are both Thunder backs where Gibbs is lightning. Gibbs has so much more wiggle and shiftiness than either of those guys.

Mason kept Griffin off the field and believe he(G) will be waiting a little more before he is the guy. Gibbs will be a 3rd down back for us this year ala Kamara was in his early AND he will pick up some 3rd and longs and add some TD’s.

I think Gibbs is a 4.5 guy where Choice and Griffin are more like 4.7. Not a huge gap but just enough with his shake to make guys miss.

Gibbs can also play in the slot and would probably be good returning kicks.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Folks on here seem to be conflating message board hype and recruiting stars (J Griffin) with teammate and coach praise (Gibbs).

Griffin is a player no doubt and we’re fortunate to have him but he was not getting the type of praise Gibbs is getting preseason. He got the “he’s talented and looks the part but still a freshman and is learning...” kind of thing. What we’re hearing about Gibbs (in a crowded RB room too) is very exciting. Mason is our guy but having someone that is clearly electric back there is the type of player we’ve been missing since JT.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Folks on here seem to be conflating message board hype and recruiting stars (J Griffin) with teammate and coach praise (Gibbs).

Griffin is a player no doubt and we’re fortunate to have him but he was not getting the type of praise Gibbs is getting preseason. He got the “he’s talented and looks the part but still a freshman and is learning...” kind of thing. What we’re hearing about Gibbs (in a crowded RB room too) is very exciting. Mason is our guy but having someone that is clearly electric back there is the type of player we’ve been missing since JT.

One thing that stood out to me is Mason talking about his goal this year. To still be 'the guy' in the RB room. He know's what he is going up against. That's all I needed to hear.

Iron sharpens Iron...Competition is King.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck

I know that E. Smith was considered slow in HS with a reported 4.7-4.8 40 yard dash but clocked a 4.52 at the NFL combine. All people can say about Gibbs is how explosive he is. This came from the coaches at the Army All Star Game and now on our campus. You can think he is a 4.5 but he was the quickest back among the very best in the nation.
Sounds like hype but call it confidence. The real deal is on our campus for a change.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I know that E. Smith was considered slow in HS with a reported 4.7-4.8 40 yard dash but clocked a 4.52 at the NFL combine. All people can say about Gibbs is how explosive he is. This came from the coaches at the Army All Star Game and now on our campus. You can think he is a 4.5 but he was the quickest back among the very best in the nation.
Sounds like hype but call it confidence. The real deal is on our campus for a change.

What's faster? The car that goes zero to 60 in 5s with a max speed of 160 or the one that does it in 4s but maxes at 150?

I only have the eye test, of course, but I don't question Gibbs ability to burst into the open field or beat a safety on a route coming out of the backfield. He doesn't have to be Spiller or CJ2k to be fast.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I'm not sure where you got the 40 times and they are - shall we say - notoriously inaccurate for high school players. From their high school films, I'd rate Griffin a trifle faster then Gibbs, but it's a photo finish. Gibbs is a trifle cuter, but, again, I'd rate them about even, especially since Griffin was playing in a tougher league in high school.

And as to being a third down back: I doubt that anybody on Tech's roster is going to replace Mason for that. He (and Howard last year) was the only RB we had who could create his own hole reliably. Indeed, that was pretty much Mason's speciality. And Griffin has a year of real experience behind him; if he isn't second off the bench I'd be really surprised.

None of this is meant to say that Gibbs won't turn out to be a real star for Tech, perhaps another Lavette. (He isn't big enough to be another Dwyer.) Hope the hype is right, of course, but it is early days; we'll just have to wait and see.

ps: I agree that he may end up returning kicks. He has the skills to be right good at that.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if I missed it but I don't think I've seen anyone mention a really important quality for an RB - not putting the ball on the ground. You could be Barry Sanders and Earl Campbell rolled into one but if you give up the rock, you will warm the pine. So while I'm as jacked as anybody about our RB corp, the superlatives don't cancel out the fundamentals.