1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Article Jackets wrap up brutal stretch Saturday in Tallahassee

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by Peacone36, Feb 1, 2019.

1. lauraee

lauraee Helluva Engineer

Makes that infamous battle with cuse a couple years ago look high octane.

2. ESPNjacket

ESPNjacket Helluva Engineer

A record breaking effort:

"The ACC said it surpassed the previous low mark for a league team set by Georgia Tech in a 57-28 loss to Virginia in January 2015."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401082755

Peacone36, awbuzz and lauraee like this.
  3. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Thanks
    My bad.
    29 is the threshold in my head whenever we play. Guess that was so that we'd be above 28... That was a rough game to watch.

4. ESPNjacket

Purging the memory of Gregory ball is a good idea.

awbuzz and THWG like this.
  5. ramblinwreckguru

ramblinwreckguru Ramblin' Wreck

Gregory - 76-86 in 5 seasons

Pastner - 45-46 in 2.5 seasons

About ready to purge my memory of Pastner ball too.

6. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

Interesting yesterday in chat, @Gtbowhunter90 asked why we ever fired Hewitt. I think CBG could coach circles around Hewitt and Pastner could coach circles around both of them. Is that an endorsement? Absolutely not. But y’all need to live with the fact that the man is our coach for the next 2.5 years most likely regardless of results.

Speaking with a member of this board yesterday, I think there is an obvious deficiency on our bench. Our original staff was A+ but right now I’d give it a soft C. I don’t like calling out kids but damn Pastner needs to come to grips with who can and cannot play.

lauraee, Gtbowhunter90, Bogey and 5 others like this.
  7. ESPNjacket

+ gazillion to both of these points

The team's record is about what I expected this year, losing Lammers and Okogie and having very little upperclassman talent. The odd rotations are a cause for concern.

William S. Baker and Peacone36 like this.
  8. 684Bee

684Bee Helluva Engineer

Yeah, I believe that if you add Okogie back to the team, we make the NCAA tourney.

9. Bogey

Bogey Helluva Engineer

As bad as we are shooting, we were just one player (Okogie) away this year from having a great year for us. I also feel the same next year unless we come up with another big to take AD's place. Pastner has proved to me that he can coach and I look forward to the coming years. Pastner teams never quit and I love it.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

10. YlJacket

YlJacket Helluva Engineer

It was long past time to fire Hewitt when we finally did so. Interesting you talk about assistants in the second paragraph when Hewitt was the poster boy for letting his staff degrade.

I will come to CJP's defense on his rotations - sort of. He has 4 guys he would never take out of a game if he didn't have foul trouble or he finally has to recognize they are not cyborgs. These guys have really long leashes. The 5th spot starts with Haywood but has a hair trigger. No one has locked that spot down and no one has given him any real options. So in the face of no options he has ultimate options until he finds someone. Throw in foul trouble like we had yesterday and unlimited options extend beyond just the 5th spot. And since there is no hierarchy, chaos until someone is hot like Cole was yesterday who then got a major run.

That's the sort of part. The rest is it is his job to establish a hierarchy so there are roles. Guys play better when they know their roles and have some understanding of what is going to happen instead of a fear of the hair trigger leash running things. I have no inside knowledge so this is speculation, but I expect that is a big part of what is going on with Haywood. There is a real significant issue with confidence across this team and I think it comes back to this.

Pastner has started more projects on this roster than I have in the house I am trying to fix up to sell. None of them have panned out yet but he still needs to commit to whatever he wants to commit to and ride it. Some kids will be pissed but overall I think we will see improved confidence across those that do play.

11. mstranahan

mstranahan Helluva Engineer

If 2-5 means one of our guys is "hot", we are in worse shape than I thought

12. YlJacket

Give him the 3 the refs took and that is about as hot as it gets for us. :rolleyes:

13. Peacone36

Fair enough. Moses Wright would never, ever, see the floor for me. Never the less, He’s the coach

gte447f and jbix80 like this.
  14. YlJacket

On a legit roster Moses would never see the court till his junior year - and then in small doses. CJP doesn't have a lot of legit options. But I am not sure he is getting the most out of the ones he does have.

15. KeystoneJacket

KeystoneJacket Helluva Engineer

I think the staff erred in not taking Moorman.

16. Peacone36

Not taking or not getting?

17. okiemon

okiemon Helluva Engineer

100% agree, whether you’re talking about bench players, or assistant coaches, or both.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. KeystoneJacket

KeystoneJacket Helluva Engineer

I guess in stopping their recruitment. I think they would have had a strong chance.

19. slugboy

slugboy Moderator Staff Member

I see this pretty frequently, and Okogie is playing great in the NBA, but while I think we’d be better with Okogie, I don’t see a great year.

Early in the year, we were playing a three-point centric offense, and I don’t see us being much better with Okogie. We’d have needed a different offense for him to shine, and I don’t think our coaches had that in their heads. Maybe we’re two or three games better right now with him. I see one game for sure, but others are doubtful.

Who would he replace? Haywood? Alston? AD? Banks? Devoe? Yeah, he’d replace any of them, but then we lose what they brought too. And what would we be building for next year? We’d be better, but there would still be issues.

I agree with some of what I’ve seen here. I haven’t seen a well coached offense this season. I think we were better coached two years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. lv20gt

lv20gt Helluva Engineer

Um what? First off people aren't pointing to Okogie because of what he is doing in the NBA. He was a great defender here last year and scored 18 a game. Second, he would solve one of our biggest issues in not having a go to guy, and his 38% from 3 would also help. But yeah, we'd lose what Alston gives us.... lol.

I don't think you realize how good he was for us last year.