Jackets vs. LSU 12/11, 6PM

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with your comment about if he's going to take the shots, he needs to be more efficient. Absolutely.

My comment this time wasn't about scoring from #5. My point was that scoring isn't what I'm looking for from this year's #5, it's defense and rebounding. My point was that against LSU, we didn't get a lot of either of those two highly important contributions from our 5.
I agree with you that the fundamentals of defense and rebounding need to be Howard’s primary contribution, but I also think he should be able to contribute maybe 6-8 points per game by being competent around the rim. Against LSU, I thought he was good defensively early and then got out of sink, as did pretty much the whole team. The rebounding wasn’t there at all. And, the scoring was certainly not as efficient as it needs to be, as you say.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think Howard developing is the key to this season. He plays around the rim like he's 6" shorter than he actually is and has the agility of someone 6" taller than he is. I know he's trying to not draw the offensive foul and his agility isn't something we're going to fix quickly but if you back someone into that circle make them pay! Missing layups and even dunks is one thing but the big guy shouldn't be getting stuffed. Good news is I think he has the ability. We'll find out whether he can figure out when to turn it on
One thing Howard needs to learn to do is when he gets the ball at foulline with back to basket with a guy DRAPED on his back,is fake right and spin back left and dribble hard with right hand taking 2 big steps and stuff it if possible or at least get foul. --SURELY JP has noticed this? . If he can't do that ,he shouldn't be playing in the ACC 1ststring..

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
He seems to lack confidence. Wish we had an “easy” game where we could tell him to cut loose and let him practice playing around the basket, taking shots until he relaxes about it.
are you suggesting that scheduling uga, WISC, UNC, LSU, and USC before the holidays before full ACC play was overkill for this roster???