Jackets vs. LSU 12/11, 6PM

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of you need to get a life. I’m a die-hard Tech basketball fan. I get very disappointed when they lose. Nevertheless, I can’t wait for them to play. I love watching them. I’m sure these coaches are coaching their butts off and the players are playing their butts off. I guarantee you they want to win worse than we want them to win. The criticism on here is unbearable, especially when you start throwing college kids under the bus. I’m in for the long ride. Became a Tech fan at 5 years old watching Mark Price. 36 years later and I still love watching them play. Let’s go, GT!!!
We were fortunate to see the glory years with Coach Cremins no doubt.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We have a coach who’s had 2 good seasons & he gets an extension
I’m beginning to think GT jinxes our coaches when we give them extensions. We might be better just letting them expire and going year to year, but I know that’s not how it works.

Tundeballer

Jolly Good Fellow
Losses in recruiting matter. Partner has shown that he and this staff can coach/develop, but the misses in recruiting limit us. Against the LSU’s and UNC’s there’s an athletic gap that coaching can’t overcome. Transfer portal helps, but we aren’t getting the best players there either.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing that drove me nuts is at the end of the first half, we were up by six and inbounding the ball with 30 seconds left so that we can completely run the clock out and get the last shot. We inbound the ball right in front of Pastner. I guess he did not remind the guys because the guard dribbled down and into the lane and gets his layup blocked with18 seconds left. LSU then scored to cut it to four. Maybe a small thing but that was terrible coaching and understanding of the clock by the players.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Losses in recruiting matter. Partner has shown that he and this staff can coach/develop, but the misses in recruiting limit us. Against the LSU’s and UNC’s there’s an athletic gap that coaching can’t overcome. Transfer portal helps, but we aren’t getting the best players there either.

This is fair criticism, I think. There was a distinct athletic and depth advantage we faced. We can still win but it makes the margin for error really tight.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to put that out there because I'm sure, if we struggle tonight against a very talented, ranked team, there will be plenty of ******* "fans" hemming & hawing how we're the ****tiest team on Earth, probably squeezing in an under-the-radar potshot here and there at some of our players.
You were right again, dtm.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
No ball reversals on offense. No adjustments our guards drive against a wall of interior defenders every drive. This has been an occurrence every game we have just gotten away with it on occasions. No kick outs at all just force shots. We don’t make any extra passes around the perimeter it’s basically whoever gets it, probe the defense and throw it if you have to. We had at least 6 turnovers where guards drove, the defense collapsed and trapped them, tied it up and lost it in jump ball. You have currently the ACC 3pt FGM % leader on the floor and he does not get any touches or kick out for wide open 3’s. One possession Sturdivant drove got tied up Coleman is wide open at top of key he doesn’t throw to him and it led to a turnover. How do you not know your personnel as the PG in situations like that? You run something (pin down, flare screen to corner, misdirection, P&R) to at least get him at touch. The guys guarding the corner do not have to play any defense. Slide in on the drives to wall up b/c there won’t be any kick outs. Offensively, more than likely you should drive to your shooters side 90% of the time to make the 2nd level defender have to decide whether to help off with drive or stay home. You take all the action away then with no ball reversals or skips it becomes so much easier to guard us. Our offense is predictable
Very well said.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to say we should have won a game we lost by 16, but this was a frustrating game of the highest order. MANY opportunities to increase or maintain the double digit first half lead; just a lot of really dumb plays one after another. I like this team, I like this coach.
-Pastner a good coach, he’s not coaching to his players at this moment. He’s waiting for his players to catch up with his system. We can’t afford the losses by waiting. He needs more sets to overcome issues, and get Coleman and Kelly going.
-Usher is MUCH better than he’s playing. As a super senior and coming off his late season tear, he must play better. No excuse. He’s better than 6 turnovers. He’s playing out of control in key moments. HOPE personal storyline of USC game brings him out of his below avg play.
-Deivon Smith has too much ability to Mia jumper after jumper in the paint. Maddening.
-Coleman especially, and Kelly - Coleman should be getting 5 to 7 shots EVERY game. He’s a weapon and if Pastner doesn’t figure a way to get him more involved on offense, then he needs to take major blame for this. Coleman is too talented to not game plan to create shot opportunities.
-Howard - some one call Luke Schensher so he can teach Howard how to catch high and finish high and fast. No one improved greater at this simple big man skill than Luke.
This game and Wisconsin hurt already. Not as bad as Miami of Ohio. All three, ugh.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
*Sigh* I really thought after the GSU game we had turned a corner with Pastner. We played well against Wisconsin and gave ourselves a chance to win late. Against UNC we just got out-talented which wasn’t really that hard to believe. But this one was tough after being up double digits late in the first half and then just being absolutely pummeled the rest of the way.

I really do believe Pastner gets just about as much out of his players as anybody does, but he can’t recruit for ****. He had a very solid class last year, but he couldn’t leverage an ACC championship into any recruits in the fall cycle, and knowing we needed 1 and 5 help this year he couldn’t bring in any transfers. Maybe @dtm1997 is right and the expectation for this team should be an NIT appearance, but the expectation for an ACC team in a major urban area should be to make the NCAAT almost annually, and at least more often than you miss it. That hasn’t happened, and we’ve only made a postseason tournament at all twice. I mean, at what point is it appropriate to start asking questions? I’m sure the team will get better, just like I said they would after the Miami OH loss, but damn man. At some point results have to manifest

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought we were flat out talented - even more so that UNC. LSU was long. athletic and we simply had no one on the team that could handle their ball pressure. LSU's offense is weak but their defense was too much for us and I knew early the only way we were going to win was playing great defense. We could have made a few more makeable shots - in particular Smith and Howard - but we did not handle the ball pressure well. Maybe Bubba will help on that end - hope so. On another note - my instincts tell me the LSU coach is a crooked snake.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought we were flat out talented - even more so that UNC. LSU was long. athletic and we simply had no one on the team that could handle their ball pressure. LSU's offense is weak but their defense was too much for us and I knew early the only way we were going to win was playing great defense. We could have made a few more makeable shots - in particular Smith and Howard - but we did not handle the ball pressure well. Maybe Bubba will help on that end - hope so. On another note - my instincts tell me the LSU coach is a crooked snake.
I watched the Alabama vs Houston game late last night- incredible game with incredible athletes. GT would get hammered by both teams- Last years team would compete- the loss of Moses and Jose are huge- don’t have anything close to the motors and athleticism those two provided. Too bad GT is situated in such an unfavorable state for High School athletes and up against powerful basketball powers like uga and Georgia State

LibertyTurns

Banned
We seem to go sideways early season and then need to hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete then start to play by January.

This is a multi-season trend.

/
Yeah Pastner always seems to figure it out somehow in January. The early season is too much to overcome though most years. Have to win all the gimmes early and pull off an unexpected upset against a good team to be competitive. We’re obviously not there yet and have not been.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We seem to go sideways early season and then need to hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete then start to play by January.

This is a multi-season trend.

/

Yup, when Pastner gets through to the younger guys and the older guys take charge.

I haven't posted in a while but am still glad we have Pastner as coach.

I really don't understand basketball and appreciate much of the commentary above. Thanks!