1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Article Jackets Host ECU on Friday

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by Peacone36, Nov 14, 2018.

1. MtnWasp

MtnWasp Jolly Good Fellow

My early impression of Devoe was, "whoa, he wants the ball in his hands, he wants to create off the dribble." He has more Kenny Anderson in him than Mark Price (as archetypal comparisons). I haven't seen him much yet so maybe I am mistaken.

Tennessee just stuffed us on the perimeter. They were too big and too experienced and we are not functioning at a high enough level in what we are trying to do to compete with that when we played them. We lost confidence and couldn't even make our open shots. Teams are always a work in progress as the season progresses. Not all teams come together, but I think that our team has a greater capacity to improve than most because of our youth and newness of scheme (not to mention our defensive up-side).

I am of the bias (for college) that cohesive execution of team concepts is at least as important as individual talent (which is why we see so many really good mid-major teams). This is also why one can predict who is going to be good by just looking at who the coach is. So for me, it is not so much about who we got, but how they play together. Not saying I'm right, but that is my bias.

BTW, this is a fun thread, especially for a post ECU game thread. Thanks to all who made it that way.

2. MtnWasp

Moses Wright is a risk taker and is inclined to be a free-wheeling player so he does look like a turnover waiting to happen. But the fact is, he has only turned the ball over 5 times in 56 minutes played. He's shooting .444 from the floor and .400 (with two banks) from 3. He's averaging 7ppg and 4.3 rpg in a little under 19 minutes.

None of that is awesome, but it isn't bad either. What I like about him is that he is an active player. He sticks his nose in there and tries to make stuff happen. He's not afraid of the ball. I like that in a player. I would rather see a player that a coach has to try to reign-in than one he has to try to motivate to get involved.

Because Wright was so raw coming into an ACC program, I am pretty stoked that he has come as far as he has. I have no idea if he will polish his game to match his athleticism, but it is worth the minutes to find out, IMO.

3. MtnWasp

I don't recall Hurley sticking his nose in the paint like either Corchiani or Alvarado. But that was a long time ago and maybe my memory banks are corrupted ("Error...FAULTY")

4. okiemon

okiemon Helluva Engineer

OK, I’m sold. I just tend to cringe when he has the ball in traffic unless he’s under the basket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. orientalnc

orientalnc Helluva Engineer

I do not understand what you mean by this. We were down by 8 points at the half in spite of terrible shooting from everywhere on the floor. We fell behind by 15 in the second half but crawled back to trail by only 8 with less than two minutes to go. Tennessee is a good basketball team and GT played them tough right up to the end. I never thought we would win that game, but none of guys lost confidence because their shots were not falling.

I played two years at the collegiate level and admired our opponents' defense when it was tough getting open looks. But I always thought my next shot was going in. I can well imagine that is also the same with Jose and CGB and all our players.

msargent1 likes this.
  6. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

I could be wrong, but I suspect that he was using "confidence" as the intangible between making and missing an open shot rather than between taking or not taking the open shot. What UT was doing affected our play so that even when our guys had open looks, they missed them.

orientalnc and MtnWasp like this.
  7. MtnWasp

We shot 27.6% from the field and 15.8% from three against TN. That is what I meant. I think they disrupted our O, we not only missed open looks, but we were more stagnant than our games against lesser opponents. I think we will look better against good competition after our guys have been playing together a little longer.

I agree we were competitive with them, but it was because we D'd-up on them.

AE 87 likes this.
  8. MtnWasp

There have been a few times where Wright chooses to bring the ball up the floor against pressure and the opposing guards are coming up behind him. At first I think that he is sure to get the ball poked from behind, but they don't catch him. And then he keeps dribbling into the paint and I am wondering where the heck is going??? I cringe too.

If I am not mistaken, I think you would rather Wright try to play like Kevin Garnett whereas Wright looks like he wants to play like Kevin Durant. It is a Kevin dilemma.

okiemon likes this.
  9. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

Yeah, this week will be interesting for the purpose of playing together to look better against good competition.

The ECar team we just beat plays UTRGV, our Wednesday opponent, tonight and Prairie View, our Friday opponent, on Wednesday. UTRGV beat PrVw last week 70 to 57. So, we should have a pretty good preview before both of our games this week. I think we should be able to win both of this week's games handily.

However, next week, we face NU in the B1G challenge on Wednesday and St. Johns on Saturday. Those games will tell us if we really just played the legitimately #5 team close on a bad shooting night for us or not.

10. orientalnc

You are probably correct about his use of the word "confidence" and that is really the only part of that post where he & I disagree.

AE 87 likes this.
  11. slugboy

slugboy Moderator Staff Member

I think we can beat them handily with a 4-guard set, but I'd like to see more progress out of our forwards to get us ready for ACC play. Based on someone's comment, I'm not sure if Cole's injury preceded the UT game, and that might be part of the situation. It would be nice to see the forwards start scoring more.

If they're easy wins, I'm not sure whether I'd like to see us get smoother on what already runs well, or work out the weak parts of our play.

12. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

I suspect we'll see a lot of different player combinations this week. We'll know how CJP is actually thinking starting next week.

orientalnc and slugboy like this.
  13. orientalnc

ECU beat UTRGV by 5 points today.

AE 87 and msargent1 like this.
  14. tsrich

tsrich Helluva Engineer

Are these Texas schools on an eastern tour or something?

15. whitegoldsphinx

whitegoldsphinx Helluva Engineer

We play round robin against a group of teams each year CJP has been here. I think you can claim it's a tournament and it allows you to play extra games each year. (or something like that)

16. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

They're calling it the Deep South Showcase.

I think ECar, Lamar, Prairie View, and UTRGV are all Adidas schools.

17. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

Interesting game from scoreboard.

ECar won 1st half 41-28.
    UTRGV won 2nd half 36-28.

The next two games should simply be a test for us to not play down to our opponents.

18. Kmag

Kmag Ramblin' Wreck

Do we have an article for tomorrow’s game? Love coming here for my b-ball fix. Thanks for doing them.

slugboy likes this.
  19. AUFC

AUFC Helluva Engineer

Sounds like we can lift some hardware if we take care of business tomorrow and Friday

20. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

woohoo