Article Jackets head to Miami to take on St. John's

• Highlight

Jackets head to Miami to take on St. John's

KNOXVILLE, TN – NOVEMBER 13: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets guard Michael Devoe (0) takes a shot over Tennessee Volunteers guard Jordan Bowden (23) during a college basketball game between the Tennessee Volunteers and Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on November 13, 2018, at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, TN. (Photo by Bryan Lynn/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Coach Josh Pastner’s Jackets remain on the road this week. After dropping a game to Northwestern in the ACC/B1G challenge, they head down to Florida to play an undefeated St. John’s squad on Saturday. The contest is being called the Air Force Reserve Hoop Hall Miami Invitational and tips at noon EST on ESPNU.

St. John’s is one of 17 remaining undefeated teams in the NCAA and is currently ranked 46th by KenPom. This game will mark the first time St. John’s has played outside of the NY/NJ area this year. The Red Storm currently rank 245th in strength of schedule and their highest rated opponent, according to KenPom, is Rutgers. Despite the poor schedule and their ability to score in bulk (83 points per game), their average margin of victory is only 11.5 points.

The Red Storm are led by dynamic junior point guard Shamorie Ponds who averages 2o points, 5.2 assists, 3.3 assists per game. Going back to 1992-93, he is the only St. Johns player to have a season of 550 points, 100 assists, 65 steals and less than 10o turnovers. He has done it twice. He is joined this year by high scoring Auburn transfer Mustapha Heron, who was granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA. Heron is currently averaging 18.2 points and 6.2 rebounds. He is also shooting 43.5% (23 attempts) on the young season. As a team St. John’s shoots an impressive 38% from three. LJ Figueroa, a budding star for Coach Chris Mullin, shoots 54% from deep on the season.

As mentioned, St. John’s is coached by former Red Storm superstar Chris Mullin. As a player, Mullin appeared in 125 games, averaged 19.5 points and won the Big East Player of the Year award for three straight seasons. His coaching acumen thus far has been a bit underwhelming, having yet to lead his alma mater to an above .500 season in his first three tries. His record coming into the 2017-18 season was 38-60.

This is an interesting match-up for Georgia Tech. The Johnnies are a live by the three, die by the three team and the Jackets currently rank 14th in the nation in three point percentage against at 25.7%. The good guys only give up 59 points per game, good for 16th in the nation. The contrast in styles is one of the most intriguing parts of this contest. St. Johns is 56th in adjusted tempo (KenPom), while Georgia Tech is currently 190th.

The KenPom metric currently gives St. Johns a 73-70 edge. If Georgia Tech can maintain their defensive intensity and put together a complete game on the road they have a chance. The Red Storm have yet to really play anyone of consequence, while the Jackets have played two opponents inside the top 50 (Kenpom) and both on the road. The Jackets hold the edge as far as being battle tested.

Georgia Tech needs to defend and they need to shoot it. Stop me when this sounds familiar. It is always a grab bag when this program goes on the road. I guess we will just have to see what we see.

Last edited:

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a Gregory fan by any stretch. However..... his recruiting was WAY better than CJP so far.

Tadric, Okogie, Lammers, MGH & Carter were all very good gets. CJP has Alvarado & Devoe in comparable group.

Stephens, Heath,Bolden, AD were all serviceable prospects that panned out to varying degrees. As of now, CJP has CGB, Moses, Cole, Khalid in this category.

In addition to getting better HS recruits (I count Heath in that group, even though he was a transfer after his dad got fired), Gregory also pulled in grad transfers that helped plug holes. I didn't like the reliance on these mercenaries, but give me Mitchell, Cox, or Jacobs over relying on AD & Ogbonda any day of the week

lol...hold up dude, hold up. You know who recruited Ogbonda & Gueye, right??

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I’m not a Gregory fan, but give me his recruits over CJP’s kids so far. It’s not even close. Unless CJP really improves his recruiting results in 2020 cycle, it will be hard to avoid the annual Les Robinson Memorial in March

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I’m not a Gregory fan, but give me his recruits over CJP’s kids so far. It’s not even close. Unless CJP really improves his recruiting results in 2020 cycle, it will be hard to avoid the annual Les Robinson Memorial in March

Which two classes of CJP's would you take over the two we've had from Pastner knowing what we know with how things turned out?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Let's look at gregory's best classes.

Poole - team cancer and kicked off
Carter - good player.
Hunt - great player
Bolden - okay I guess. Got kicked off the team. Never averaged over 7.3 a game his 3 years.

Lammers - Great player (after Pastner got a hold of him)
Jackson - Good player
AD - Solid player.

Here's the thing, when you look back at those guys you're remembering their junior and senior years for the most part. Where as the players Pastner has brought in have only their freshmen and sophomore years to judge.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Should have been fired the year before but the buyout would have been higher, mostly due to Bobblehead resetting the buyout.

Bottom line is if we want to be a successful basketball program we need to stop shopping in the Walmart $5 DVD bins.

Make a quality hire. Support your coaches. Don’t be a doormat. Don’t be content with cashing other programs checks. If you can’t get behind that, drop down to the Sunbelt and take a shot at the auto bid. Even then, programs recruit better than us (GaST) and have had coaches far better than ours (Hunter, Beard)
There’s no way that Ga State should ever be the top program in state , but they are

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I’m not trying to defend Gregory, however Okogie was his recruit. Can you imagine CJP in his first two years without him?

I’m extremely disappointed in the way recruiting has been going. Reveno is the only assistant currently, that appears to be helping.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched the entire game again and I have never watched a game with so much repugnance in my life. The coaching meltdown was apparent during the last stretch. Pastner and company have to do better.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. Came on this board to discuss a good basketball game and I scroll through this thread and all I see is a bunch of Dudes indulging in a bitter pity party like a clutch of high school girls after a party where none of them got asked to dance.

We're talking about Brian Gregory, seriously? BRIAN GREGORY?

I guess I'll go talk basketball with myself....

"So Wasp, what did you think of that game by Ponds?"

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
They just lost by 26 to Liberty and sit with a 5-3 record. Stop regurgitating this garbage before you actually start to believe it.
You think we’d beat ga state ? I’m not sure we can beat uga , if we do it won’t be as bad as ga st did , do your homework pal

slugboy

Staff member
Wow. Came on this board to discuss a good basketball game and I scroll through this thread and all I see is a bunch of Dudes indulging in a bitter pity party like a clutch of high school girls after a party where none of them got asked to dance.

Well, I’m glad to have you chiming in, but if you’re happy talking to yourself you’ll never lack for conversation or a good listener.

I’d have preferred Ponds have that game against someone else, but he is an amazing shooter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If y’all are happy or ok with how the b-ball season isn’t going then you’re not a true fan

Nonsense.

Look at the team objectively. Our best 5 lineup in terms of talent is probably Jose, Devoe, Haywood, Wright, Banks. Maybe sub in Moore for either Haywood or Wright. Either way it's 4 underclassmen and a guy who wasn't here last year. On top of that, those 5 includes at least one player coming off a big injury. Being okay with this season isn't not being a true fan. It's understanding the dynamic of the team coming into the season and not just looking at the season without considering the roster or situation. So no, losing all three of our games against good teams away from home but showing aspects to build upon and being okay with it isn't failing to be a true fan.

You think we’d beat ga state ? I’m not sure we can beat uga , if we do it won’t be as bad as ga st did , do your homework pal

GSU has lost to Montana, Creighton by 25, and Liberty by 26.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If y’all are happy or ok with how the b-ball season isn’t going then you’re not a true fan

Being happy or ok is different than being rational or grounded in reality. The latter affords you the ability to keep a cool head about the current state of the program.

Count me in the latter. There are things I'm not happy about, there are things I think are on schedule for the program.

Happy or not though, getting fired up with the complaints or accusations of people's fanhood is a worthless effort. You think someone is pouring out Kool Aid, then give them a cogent rationale why they're wrong. If you can't do that, then you'll just find yourself on everyone's ignore list before too long.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Alston is our best outside shooter right now and has to start. Otherwise our best 5 is mostly “new”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

The context is accurate and valid.