Article Jackets head to Miami to take on St. John's

• Highlight

Jackets head to Miami to take on St. John's

KNOXVILLE, TN – NOVEMBER 13: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets guard Michael Devoe (0) takes a shot over Tennessee Volunteers guard Jordan Bowden (23) during a college basketball game between the Tennessee Volunteers and Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on November 13, 2018, at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, TN. (Photo by Bryan Lynn/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Coach Josh Pastner’s Jackets remain on the road this week. After dropping a game to Northwestern in the ACC/B1G challenge, they head down to Florida to play an undefeated St. John’s squad on Saturday. The contest is being called the Air Force Reserve Hoop Hall Miami Invitational and tips at noon EST on ESPNU.

St. John’s is one of 17 remaining undefeated teams in the NCAA and is currently ranked 46th by KenPom. This game will mark the first time St. John’s has played outside of the NY/NJ area this year. The Red Storm currently rank 245th in strength of schedule and their highest rated opponent, according to KenPom, is Rutgers. Despite the poor schedule and their ability to score in bulk (83 points per game), their average margin of victory is only 11.5 points.

The Red Storm are led by dynamic junior point guard Shamorie Ponds who averages 2o points, 5.2 assists, 3.3 assists per game. Going back to 1992-93, he is the only St. Johns player to have a season of 550 points, 100 assists, 65 steals and less than 10o turnovers. He has done it twice. He is joined this year by high scoring Auburn transfer Mustapha Heron, who was granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA. Heron is currently averaging 18.2 points and 6.2 rebounds. He is also shooting 43.5% (23 attempts) on the young season. As a team St. John’s shoots an impressive 38% from three. LJ Figueroa, a budding star for Coach Chris Mullin, shoots 54% from deep on the season.

As mentioned, St. John’s is coached by former Red Storm superstar Chris Mullin. As a player, Mullin appeared in 125 games, averaged 19.5 points and won the Big East Player of the Year award for three straight seasons. His coaching acumen thus far has been a bit underwhelming, having yet to lead his alma mater to an above .500 season in his first three tries. His record coming into the 2017-18 season was 38-60.

This is an interesting match-up for Georgia Tech. The Johnnies are a live by the three, die by the three team and the Jackets currently rank 14th in the nation in three point percentage against at 25.7%. The good guys only give up 59 points per game, good for 16th in the nation. The contrast in styles is one of the most intriguing parts of this contest. St. Johns is 56th in adjusted tempo (KenPom), while Georgia Tech is currently 190th.

The KenPom metric currently gives St. Johns a 73-70 edge. If Georgia Tech can maintain their defensive intensity and put together a complete game on the road they have a chance. The Red Storm have yet to really play anyone of consequence, while the Jackets have played two opponents inside the top 50 (Kenpom) and both on the road. The Jackets hold the edge as far as being battle tested.

Georgia Tech needs to defend and they need to shoot it. Stop me when this sounds familiar. It is always a grab bag when this program goes on the road. I guess we will just have to see what we see.

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
New Article Posted
Jackets head to Miami to take on St. John's

KNOXVILLE, TN – NOVEMBER 13: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets guard Michael Devoe (0) takes a shot over Tennessee Volunteers guard Jordan Bowden (23) during a college basketball game between the Tennessee Volunteers and Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on November 13, 2018, at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville, TN. (Photo by Bryan Lynn/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images) Coach Josh Pastner’s Jackets remain on the road this week. After dropping a game to Northwestern in the ACC/B1G challenge, they head down to Florida ...

Click here to read more ...
Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

3rd top 50 game on the road in our first 7 games. Ready frand some home cookin for a bit after this! This is basically a coin flip. If we want to get to 18+ wins, this is one of those we have to find a way to win.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was more optimistic about the NW game than this one, so that probably means we come out looking like world beaters today.

In my opinion, it’s going to be about our offense. Both NW and Tenn were much better defensively than St. John’s, and we need to see it go through the hoop early for us.

If we can get off to a good start offensively, then I think our chances in this one. Looks is dropping too, down to 2.5 on my book. This would be a huge win for us.

Let’s Go Jackets!!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I was more optimistic about the NW game than this one, so that probably means we come out looking like world beaters today.

In my opinion, it’s going to be about our offense. Both NW and Tenn were much better defensively than St. John’s, and we need to see it go through the hoop early for us.

If we can get off to a good start offensively, then I think our chances in this one. Looks is dropping too, down to 2.5 on my book. This would be a huge win for us.

Let’s Go Jackets!!
My book is at 2.5 as well. I got is +3 earlier this morning

GT_EE78

Banned
good day to get our first win against a P5 quality team. I think the last time we had two better than 3star types on the team was when we had Thad and Crit so I'm still hoping the offense will gel before acc play. Go Jackets!

Deleted member 2897

Are we really going to lose this game???? I am not a fan of CJP.....

1 guy, who is not a surprise (he was #32 in the country as a recruit - basically a 5-star), has like 35 points of their 70. We should be double teaming a guy like that constantly when he has a day where everything he throws up goes in. At least if you lose it will look like you tried something.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Guys this is getting hard to watch ! I’ve absolutely no faith in the future of this b-ball program . If were recruiting well it’d be one thing , but we’re not