Jackets have fifth best secondary through five weeks

alagold

Helluva Engineer
thanks for sharing this. I've noticed the difference.

I've watched people on this board complain about our secondary for years. soft coverage, too much cushion, etc. Now we are getting aggressive and physical play from our corners and we see the results. But it's mostly going unnoticed here because it doesn't fit the current narrative.

edit: I'm speaking directly to the crowd that complained for years about the anti-CPJ narrative (which I was NOT a part of either).

well, like all stats they can be misleading--as was said Temp didn't pass because they DIDN'T NEED TO, nor did Cit, nor others really
also--the DBs are "aggressive" seemingly maybe in passing but they sure weren't vs run against Cit on those pitches, like they had never seen the TO before

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Temple: they didn't stop passing because they had the lead. The stopped passing because they discovered the run game was killing us and we couldn't stop either of their guys. We actually played pretty well against their passing attack. They played a very smart game offensively and kept up with their strengths.

Citadel: they don't throw the ball. They attempted 4 passes and completed 1 of them. Not a very good sample size for our pass defense and I wouldn't really credit us for the 25% completion ratio as much as I would their offense just not being that great at it and not needing to be.

Clemson: this game more fits the description of them not having to pass because they had a big lead. I thought our guys looked more aggressive but we were playing against a QB (who is struggling a bit this year) who many feel will be the top pick in the 2021 NFL draft and a receiving corps that is deeper than many in the NFL. I saw some things I liked and some that I didn't like but I was encouraged.

USF: Not a great offense, for sure. No disagreement there. But the defense did what they are supposed to do against a poor offense, holding them to 261 total yards and doing a darn good job of keeping them mostly held in check in both the passing and running game.

That's just my opinion. I feel like we're seeing an improvement in the defense but it's coming in fits and starts and is led by the improvement in our defensive backfield. I think there are some tremendous athletes there (thank you to CPJ and company) and we have some coaches who are getting them to be more aggressive.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Let me give a little bit better explanation for what i mean by the running with a lead. The reason that coaches will embrace a bend don't break defense that focuses on the run game and limiting big plays is to generate turnovers, so that if you are losing you can generate chances to get back into the game. When you have a stout run defense (think tenuta blitz, defenses designed to face power run games etc) and you force a team to pass to move the ball even when they have a 2 score lead you increase your chances of getting a pick and getting back into the game. We may have a really good secondary, we may even have one of the best secondaries in all of the ACC. But if we can't stop the run they don't matter. We will get slashed b gap to b gap into our weak LB group and never be able to get back into games. Especially not with an offense that is not scoring points.

Look at WSU for an example. They have in the past thrown for over 700 yards and 9 tds in games twice. They lost both. Why? because they had to throw the ball to move it and teams were able to make them pay with interceptions and 20 second 3 and outs extending the game.

Now in CPJ's offense or really any offense that deals with a ton of ball handling (throwing/pitching/complex meshes on counter action) the odds of fumbling goes up and that can hurt you just as bad as interceptions. The bonus however is you can sometimes survive turnovers with a comfortable enough lead.

This is also why in the NFL teams can and have come back from down three scores on the regular. NFL defenses (except the falcons this year) are usually able of stuffing the run forcing at least one pass per set of downs, which can generate a turnover.

If you have to pick one type of defense to be extremely stout at you pick rushing between the tackles because if you can't do that. Offenses don't have to do anything else.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The most astounding part of this stat is that the DBs are not only doing it with minimal seniors, but they are doing it with a front 7 that isn't putting much pressure on the QB.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Opposing quarterbacks are completing just 54% of passes against the Yellow Jackets and are averaging just a single touchdown against them as well per game. The Jackets also have four interceptions through four games with Kaleb Oliver leading the team so far with two interceptions including one this past weekend against Temple.

https://yellowjackedup.com/2019/09/...have-fifth-best-secondary-through-five-weeks/
In yards per game, Temple is ranked 96th and South Florida is ranked 127. Against FBS teams, Temple is averaging 22 points per game and South Florida is averaging 10.

Combined with a bad FCS team, and we're not playing good competing outside of Clemson, which put up 52 points and 632 yards of offense against us.

Good thing the ACC has a lot of bad offenses this year.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
They exist in all fanbases. I bet there are fans bitching on Alabama’s or Oklahoma’s message boards about something. Just point and laugh.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Minister of mayhem is real and there is more DB talent incoming. These arent slouch QBs they are doing this to, either. Lawrence is obviously great but Barnett and Russo are experienced guys and Barnett wore us out last year.