Jackets have fifth best secondary through five weeks

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Opposing quarterbacks are completing just 54% of passes against the Yellow Jackets and are averaging just a single touchdown against them as well per game. The Jackets also have four interceptions through four games with Kaleb Oliver leading the team so far with two interceptions including one this past weekend against Temple.

https://yellowjackedup.com/2019/09/...have-fifth-best-secondary-through-five-weeks/

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Opposing quarterbacks are completing just 54% of passes against the Yellow Jackets and are averaging just a single touchdown against them as well per game. The Jackets also have four interceptions through four games with Kaleb Oliver leading the team so far with two interceptions including one this past weekend against Temple.

https://yellowjackedup.com/2019/09/...have-fifth-best-secondary-through-five-weeks/

Playing the Citadel helped those stats. But yes...thank the Lord for our secondary.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
thanks for sharing this. I've noticed the difference.

I've watched people on this board complain about our secondary for years. soft coverage, too much cushion, etc. Now we are getting aggressive and physical play from our corners and we see the results. But it's mostly going unnoticed here because it doesn't fit the current narrative.

edit: I'm speaking directly to the crowd that complained for years about the anti-CPJ narrative (which I was NOT a part of either).

Last edited:

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
thanks for sharing this. I've noticed the difference.

I've watched people on this board complain about our secondary for years. soft coverage, too much cushion, etc. Now we are getting aggressive and physical play from our corners and we see the results. But it's mostly going unnoticed here because it doesn't fit the current narrative.

I don't think this is a narrative issue. Their good work is simply getting swamped by the overall abysmal play from the team. Pretty much everyone agrees that there is a noticeable improvement from the defense - Citadel game aside...

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Cmon man. I just did. And have been. Not 100% positive but there isn’t enough positive even on D for that.
I don't think this is a narrative issue. Their good work is simply getting swamped by the overall abysmal play from the team. Pretty much everyone agrees that there is a noticeable improvement from the defense - Citadel game aside...
I disagree when someone starts a thread on the positive notes/bright side, folks continue to chirp about the bad stuff.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree when someone starts a thread on the positive notes/bright side, folks continue to chirp about the bad stuff.

Please just start to ignore trolls or hide them. It’s the same 4 posters anyway. Respond to those that are engaging in Constructive conversations only.

As far as the defense I think we’ll really start to see the defense play more stout as the year progresses and they learn more and get more reps in it. Particularly at linebacker with Knight & Thomas. Watching those two grow together will be fun.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
I have to say that it is comforting to see our corners playing within 10 yds of the receivers. If we could get some pressure, it would magnify just how good those kids are doing. Defense can keep us in games if we can figure out how to score, we might win some.

We are doing better on the Dline with pressure and should get better as the year go but unfortunately we need to recruit better to see the improvement that we want. The back end is playing great and Im starting to get used to 3 and 10 not being an automatic 1st down.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Not to put a wet blanket on this but. Teams haven't needed to throw against us. If you are up 20 you run the ball. Our secondary has played very well but with our run defense being so bad this stat's a bit misleading.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We are doing better on the Dline with pressure and should get better as the year go but unfortunately we need to recruit better to see the improvement that we want. The back end is playing great and Im starting to get used to 3 and 10 not being an automatic 1st down.

Our Dline ain’t horrible. Best we have been at DT in quite some time. If BA was still with us......

What we lack is a good pass rush from the edge. Like rhino said we’d look even better in the secondary with a decent pass rush that didn’t require blitzes. CGC has his secondary playing well. Our brightest spot along with Harvin.

I did think we’d be seeing more youth at LB by now. We need better wheels there.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Lmao. I really wish there was more positive to discuss. Those topics are sadly missing. Gotta stop losing in such an embarrassing manner first.

Truth does hurt I guess.
Losing hurts like hell. Losing badly is even worse. But there are some positives to discuss, and our secondary is a good place to start. It's refreshing to see these guys in press coverage and playing like, well for one like Temple played last year. I watched them play UCF last year and distinctly remember wondering why our guys can't defend like that. Looks like they can.

@AE 87 already said it in another thread - statistically (PPD) we have the average defense we wished for during the CPJ era. Do I want an average defense? Hell no - I want a great defense. But it's a sign of improvement.

We saw some positives in the offense this weekend too - they just didn't translate to points on the board. I'd like to see Graham get the start this weekend. And like you, I'd like to see Oliver out there on the field with him. move them around pre-snap.

Like you said in the bright spots thread - we have a shot at redemption next week. Mack Brown's Tarheels are coming to town feeling all good about themselves taking the national champs to the wire. I'll be there, and you will too. Let's get it.