It's time to talk about Brad Stewart.

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow, this was not what I was expecting from this thread... and shame on the dude saying Brad's a bozo... Yes the catch at the 3 nearly made me punch 3 holes thru the drywall, but the dude is no liability. Just play back the tape on TQ's last TD run and tell me who blocked the CB into the end one...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
"Its time to talk about Brad Stewart"

OK, what do you want to talk about? How good is is at blocking for a receiver? How sure handed he is as a punt returner? I'm up for discussing those things.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know. I have a hard time giving any individual player much grief when we are clearly terrible at coaching special teams all around..........

A few years ago we had very good special teams overall. So I don't think it's necessarily coaching.

This year we have a good punter, unreliable FG and EP group, poor KO coverage, ok punt coverage and unexciting KO or punt returns. We are so gawd awful that before last night we were 116th of 130 in Special Team rankings. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feist

I agree Brad has great hands. But fair catching at the 3 was stupid. I'm sure he'd say that today and also say he has been drilled not to fair catch inside the 10.

The coaches can coach but the players have to make the plays. Brad didn't do the right thing last night.

BigJacket

Banned
"Its time to talk about Brad Stewart"

OK, what do you want to talk about? How good is is at blocking for a receiver? How sure handed he is as a punt returner? I'm up for discussing those things.

Probably talking more along the lines of catching the ball as WR and getting return yards after catching punts. But yes, he excellent at a part of what is required of being a WR and Punt returner

WreckedbyWhiskey

Georgia Tech Fan
Overall, our special teams sucks. I can't say that it equally adds the same amount of value as offense and defense and that's what you need to be a great football team.

As for Bradford, I like him but I hate seeing him for punt returns and kick returns. He's not that fast and not quick at all, we have so much better talent that we could put back there. I'd put one of the starting DBs back there and let them take it to the house.

We need a dynamic athlete back there and Bradford just isn't that.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Went back and checked the tape of Stewart fair catch and he runs on and is looking at coaches talking to him 2 seconds before the snap. We had players running off and on and weren't prepared for them to punt on 4 and 1. He had such sure hands in the passing game his freshman year, but he's seems to have fallen off a bit in the throwing game, but his blocking is still top notch was blocking his guy all the way into the endzone on TM icing TD run.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Stewart embodies the staff's view of the return game. They view returns as opportunities for mistakes rather than opportunities for big plays, so they play the guy who is least likely to turn the ball over even if there is little to no chance for a big play.

Good hands, but poor instincts as a return man.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hell, Bama's return guy muffs at least 1 per game. Brad doesn't turn it over very often. I think the coaches will be in his ear about catching the ball inside the 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Coaches should be drilling the don't go past the ten" in his head anytime it is on that end of the field
You shouldn't need to be drilled in that aspect. By age 7 or 8, just by watching college or pro football, everyone knows this.

slugboy

Staff member
I was surprised to see him out there after getting his leg all twisted up on the previous return. No telling how much was going through his head on that return, but I think he may have been more distracted than usual

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Why does he consistently do the wrong thing on returns? I've see him let ball drop at the thirty and roll to the 10, i've seen him fair catch balls behind the 10. What is up with him? He seems to do the opposite of what he's coached to do.

Should he be off PR and KR? I think he has to be. He's a liability.

I am reluctant to criticize a player but you know who I think would have been really good at this job? T Marshall but that ship sailed long ago. Brad is a good football player as witnessed by his blocking on Marshall's long TD run. I wish he would get more separation at times from defenders but I and I am sure the coaches appreciate the fact that he is sure handed at catching punts. Rule 1 for punt returners in catch the ball. The fair catch at the three was inexcusable but I am sure he feels as bad as any of us about it. If the coaches had someone they trusted more and was a threat to take it to the house they would play him.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
One of the most fearless returners I've ever seen. Dude is like 5'5 in shoes. NEVER fair caught the ball even if he was going to get slaughtered. Never fumlbed the ball that I remember either.

Peach bowl against LSU.

But yea loved him, my brother and I were talking about him after Stewart fair caught on the 2. He seemed like he always made the first guy miss and I believe led the acc in return yards.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
One of the most fearless returners I've ever seen. Dude is like 5'5 in shoes. NEVER fair caught the ball even if he was going to get slaughtered. Never fumlbed the ball that I remember either.

You missed the chick fil a peach bowl against LSU. I think he dropped 3 of them and helped to a loss against a team we should have beaten.

Go Jackets!