It's time to talk about Brad Stewart.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Why does he consistently do the wrong thing on returns? I've see him let ball drop at the thirty and roll to the 10, i've seen him fair catch balls behind the 10. What is up with him? He seems to do the opposite of what he's coached to do.

Should he be off PR and KR? I think he has to be. He's a liability.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Why does he consistently do the wrong thing on returns? I've see him let ball drop at the thirty and roll to the 10, i've seen him fair catch balls behind the 10. What is up with him? He seems to do the opposite of what he's coached to do.

Should he be off PR and KR? I think he has to be. He's a liability.
He had one nice return today for ~15 yards. Split a couple defenders. I agree he often is very conservative but it doesn't make a lot of mistakes. The fair catch at the 3 was the only one I can really remember where I think it was clear he shouldn't have done it.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
He had one nice return today for ~15 yards. Split a couple defenders. I agree he often is very conservative but it doesn't make a lot of mistakes. The fair catch at the 3 was the only one I can really remember where I think it was clear he shouldn't have done it.
You have a very short memory. Multiple times he let balls go over his head at the twenty, and multiple times he's fair catched behind the 10.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
You have a very short memory. Multiple times he let balls go over his head at the thirty, and multiple times he's fair catched behind the 10.

He basically does exactly what they tell returners not to do.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know. I have a hard time giving any individual player much grief when we are clearly terrible at coaching special teams all around.

I do agree that Stewart tends to play things ultra conservative. If he's not 125% certain he can catch the ball he runs away from it - resulting in those balls that land at the 30 and roll to the 10. But I don't get the fair catch inside the 10. I think everyone who has watched football more than 1 season knows the rule "Heels on the 10 yard line. If it goes over your head let it go." He shouldn't need directions from the sideline right before the play to know that.

We don't block very well on punt returns or kickoff returns, so that makes the returners jobs way harder.

But good grief, give me a kid who will catch the kickoff or punt and then run full speed up field. Way too much dancing, that doesn't work on kickoffs. Ever. Same thing on the few punts Stewart does try to return. Make one move and then head N/S.

wishbone

Georgia Tech Fan
But good grief, give me a kid who will catch the kickoff or punt and then run full speed up field. Way too much dancing, that doesn't work on kickoffs. Ever. Same thing on the few punts Stewart does try to return. Make one move and then head N/S.
Kelly Rhino

wishbone

Georgia Tech Fan
I've got nothing against him at WR. But he's a liability at pk or pr
Do you remember when Laskey did it?
Brad has hands. Running well is step 2. Dollars to donuts the runners can't catch as well as he can or we would see A backs back there.

BigJacket

Banned
I truly think CPJ doesn't care about having a dynamic punt returner, he just wants a sure handed guy that can catch and will give his offense the ball. I think he has so much confidence in his offense that he just wants zero risk with fielding a punt. That's literally the only thing I can come up with as to why BS continues to remain our returner. Punt return game is non existent