It's about that time of year again

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Kids did all kinds of illegal things in college, way more schemes and drug use than what would be considered normal in the rest of society. What these kids did I can't believe was that thought out, because if it was, there is a serious lack in common sense between the four.

Underage drinking and drug use are victim-less crimes, as opposed to stealing.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Underage drinking and drug use are victim-less crimes, as opposed to stealing.

Is there an overt "victim" in this case. What if one of them was drinking behind the wheel which one is more egregious ? Crime is crime whether using drugs, underage drinking, or trying to double dip their stipend checks, what these guys did is minor. Punishment is necessary but people are going overboard.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Is there an overt "victim" in this case. What if one of them was drinking behind the wheel which one is more egregious ? Crime is crime whether using drugs or underage drinking, or trying to double dip their stipend checks, what these guys did is minor. Punishment is necessary but people are going overboard.

Translation: ATL1 was a drug using shoplifter in college who cheats on his taxes.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Translation: ATL1 was a drug using shoplifter in college who cheats on his taxes.

I'm saying that these young men made some really dumb decisions and they will be punished for it. Let's make sure the punishment fits the crime though.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Is there an overt "victim" in this case. What if one of them was drinking behind the wheel which one is more egregious ?

No, underage drinking is a victimless crime, and driving while intoxicated is a crime no matter what your age is. Stop trying to change the argument with your red herring.

Crime is crime whether using drugs, underage drinking, or trying to double dip their stipend checks, what these guys did is minor. Punishment is necessary but people are going overboard.

Must have been raised differently if you consider fraud to be minor.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
No, underage drinking is a victimless crime, and driving while intoxicated is a crime no matter what your age is. Stop trying to change the argument with your red herring.

Must have been raised differently if you consider fraud to be minor.

Those $75 broke the bank, huh? OMG these kids tried to get over how dare they.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
They will likely just get probation and maybe a fine in court unless already on probation. Should be suspended from team for a year. Guessing it will be a game....maybe 2.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Those $75 broke the bank, huh? OMG these kids tried to get over how dare they.

One of them does it once, yeah ok maybe someone made a mistake. These kids were repeatedly cashing checks they knew were already deposited to the sum of nearly $800.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Re this particular incident, I wonder if the amount of money "stolen" is enough to challenge the amateur designation of these players. A quick Google search didn't give me the answer. As stated by @Blumpkin Souffle don't let the AJC paint you they "they stole $75" picture. They have done this repeatedly for a total of greater than $75. Either way 11 Alive tweeted the real news story here:

25 people... that's bigger than any recruiting class we've had recently

Animal02

Banned
Re this particular incident, I wonder if the amount of money "stolen" is enough to challenge the amateur designation of these players. A quick Google search didn't give me the answer. As stated by @Blumpkin Souffle don't let the AJC paint you they "they stole $75" picture. They have done this repeatedly for a total of greater than $75. Either way 11 Alive tweeted the real news story here:

25 people... that's bigger than any recruiting class we've had recently

Mixing suspensions and arrests is sort of meaningless.......unless all the suspensions were crime related.....i.e failed drub tests........,missing curfew or team meetings too many times and getting suspended (for a FBS game) should not be in the same mix :sneaky:

Mack

Helluva Engineer
What's really mind-boggling about this is that it never even occurred to those morons that anyone would notice them cashing the same check over and over again. I mean, there's dumb and then there's this.
Agree with you but as we say in Court......if. criminals had sense.....we would be out of a job.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I have a question related to the AJC article referenced by ATL1. Can someone explain to me what is meant by "stipend"? Now I know what a stipend is in non-football(college) life but I am not familiar with this term/concept in college football. Thanks.

I heard, but who knows, that this was for meals missed during the shutdowns of facilities due to the recent winter storms. Don't know.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
The real tragedy is that these young men's lives are now ruined.

This would not have happened if they played for Nick Saban at Alabama nor would it have happened if they played for Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. What do these coaches have that Mark Richt doesn't? Balls.

The other sad aspect of this recurring refrain from Athens is that UGa will win a ton of games this year and no one will remember these kids or what happened to them. Except for the kids themselves and their families.

Their lives are ruined? My heavens, are you serious?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know why more schools don't hold up the rap sheet of these factory schools to MOM and DAD. As a parent myself I can't see how especially a mom would really be enthusiastic about their son playing at a school where 25% of recruits don't finish, find themselves in jail or are somehow run out of town.

Its unbelievable to me

I got to meet many of our players parents back in the 2008-9 time period. They were all very interested in their kids academic performance and getting a degree. So the rap sheet would (probably did) work with the parents of our kids, I'm not sure it would with the UGA parents.

Herbstreet was dead on right that this is getting old. Along with the the publicized arrests, the parents and kids need to realize that Richt's program will discard the kids very quickly.

That's shown by UGA signing 99 kids in the last 4 years to our 74 kids signed. The UGA situation is chronic and ingrained in their program culture.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I got to meet many of our players parents back in the 2008-9 time period. They were all very interested in their kids academic performance and getting a degree. So the rap sheet would (probably did) work with the parents of our kids, I'm not sure it would with the UGA parents.

Herbstreet was dead on right that this is getting old. Along with the the publicized arrests, the parents and kids need to realize that Richt's program will discard the kids very quickly.

That's shown by UGA signing 99 kids in the last 4 years to our 74 kids signed. The UGA situation is chronic and ingrained in their program culture.
What Georgie fans will not admit is that this is not isolated cases of boys being boys.........what 20 plus incidents in last few years ? What is clear is that nothing is really being done to weed out the guys before you sign them and marginal academically kids who can play will drift to this side of georgie football.Many times the coaches quote "make a man out of you son" but not here in Athens it seems.No longer does a kid shudder at a visit from Erk Russell after a mistake in Athens..........Like ole MR but until he really gets tough they will never win the big one.