It.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
JT has "it." But what is "it?"

"It" encapsulates more than just on-field prowess. "It" is more than breaking the ankles of an SEC linebacker and defensive back, in front of a national prime-time, New Years Eve Orange Bowl. "It" is more than making a frantic, last minute drive and last second touchdown pass to beat a team we obliterated in the first half, a team we expected to roll over.

"It" is more than winning an Orange Bowl MVP.

The most important piece of "it" JT has, is the part that makes a QB great. It can turn an average team into champions.

JT is a leader. Jt is reserved, however, he elicits an attitude in his teammates that drives them to fight, drives them to win. JT is elite physically and mentally, in his ability to run our scheme. But it's JT's leadership that makes him special. It's JT's ability to inspire his teammates that gives the 2015 & 2016 squads the potential to accomplish something we've never seen before.

Thomas, a rising junior, has "It." All of "It." I think the best it yet to come.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said as much when JT was a true freshman. All anyone could see at that point was, of course, practice. But, as he evaluated QB's, he mentioned in an AJC article (iirc) that JT had that "it" factor that made him interesting.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said as much when JT was a true freshman. All anyone could see at that point was, of course, practice. But, as he evaluated QB's, he mentioned in an AJC article (iirc) that JT had that "it" factor that made him interesting.
Thomas is the only player, that I can recall anyway, that Johnson spoke about as a practice player. And he spontaneously volunteered it at some point in that freshman year with something like "The guy who is really looking good is Justin Thomas." Maybe not the exact quote, but it struck me he would say that when normally he is a suit-up-and-then-we'll-see coach.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What I like about JT the most is that he doesn't pretend to be somebody he is not. He doesn't fawn for the camera or the microphone. He doesn't demand to be "the guy". He gets the ball to the player that the flow of the play dictates. He doesn't shy from the moment. He doesn't make situations bigger than they really are. If he is running a play on 4th and 15, he is just running the play like in practice. Gotta love JT!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Umm, ok. I decided to start my own thread rather than bury my comment in the depths of that one. Is that a problem? It being early June, I believe this board can support another suck thread. But, thanks any, GTSwarm topic police.

LOL. I've got no problem with a new thread, just thought linking the last one could contribute.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I like the fact that he is pretty reserved being our QB. I mean it's great to have high energy guys like PJ but alot of times it goes unnoticed. When JT gets fired up everyone notices and it takes the whole team to a new level. That's how the big plays come in the biggest situations and everyone has that confidence that we're gonna win because JT is gonna make a play. That confidence is what make players give the extra effort and the end of a game when it's 4th and long and down by 7 or down by 3 with 18 seconds.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the fact that JT puts everything on him. Doesn't matter if it's the refs fault or whatever. If the offense doesn't deliver, he puts it on himself. True character like that is almost nonexistent in this day and age. He is probably one of the best human beings I've seen in sports. He could go 0-24 the next 2 seasons and I'd still be more proud of that tech man than just about anyone I know.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Here we go with another Justin thread, BUT I LOVE IT!!!!!!! There are only a handful of former Tech players that has obtained this much importance as the perception of how he has manipulated his leadership on the program. I am glad it is being recognized by us, and maybe it will be noticed over the nation! One of the points in the previous thread is that he can be that important in whatever he is involved in his future. And he might not even realize this great quality of influence, and how it could effect a person over the rest of one's life. I think it might be interesting if a new thread was started with who we think had this importance as a leader in any of Tech sports. I won't start it, but I would participate.

JT has "it." But what is "it?"

"It" encapsulates more than just on-field prowess. "It" is more than breaking the ankles of an SEC linebacker and defensive back, in front of a national prime-time, New Years Eve Orange Bowl. "It" is more than making a frantic, last minute drive and last second touchdown pass to beat a team we obliterated in the first half, a team we expected to roll over.

"It" is more than winning an Orange Bowl MVP.

The most important piece of "it" JT has, is the part that makes a QB great. It can turn an average team into champions.

JT is a leader. Jt is reserved, however, he elicits an attitude in his teammates that drives them to fight, drives them to win. JT is elite physically and mentally, in his ability to run our scheme. But it's JT's leadership that makes him special. It's JT's ability to inspire his teammates that gives the 2015 & 2016 squads the potential to accomplish something we've never seen before.

Thomas, a rising junior, has "It." All of "It." I think the best it yet to come.

It has been a very long time since we have had a player that makes other players around him better. That's not to say we have not had great players, but it is a special knack to play well and have those around you play better due to your presence.

Thomas is the only player, that I can recall anyway, that Johnson spoke about as a practice player. And he spontaneously volunteered it at some point in that freshman year with something like "The guy who is really looking good is Justin Thomas." Maybe not the exact quote, but it struck me he would say that when normally he is a suit-up-and-then-we'll-see coach.
How much do you think Vad Lee observed on the practice field, and how much did that factor into his decision to transfer?

I like the fact that JT puts everything on him. Doesn't matter if it's the refs fault or whatever. If the offense doesn't deliver, he puts it on himself. True character like that is almost nonexistent in this day and age. He is probably one of the best human beings I've seen in sports. He could go 0-24 the next 2 seasons and I'd still be more proud of that tech man than just about anyone I know.
Look at what happened after Athens. Rising from the ashes of that near-debacle, the young man came back and matched FSU toe-to-toe, and then annihilated a team that had been No. 1 for a third of the season. We can be optimistic about our chances every time we tee it up with him.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that "it" is less a mystical phenomenon and more about a player making calm, cool, smart decisions without being affected by pressure.

Remember when He Who Shall Not Be Named ran that QB keeper to beat the New York Jets in 2011? The NFL community assumed that he took off like a headless chicken (since running QBs are low IQ of course) and scored out of blind luck. Brady Quinn is still bitter about it.

But I really hate the Jets...ahem. I mean, I was fascinated, so I paid attention to what Taboo Timmy and others recounted about the play. Turns out:

-- He had observed the OLB during warmups
-- Decided "if I get a chance to beat that guy one-on-one, I'll take it"
-- Recognized it was 3rd-and-3 and the team only needed a FG to tie
-- Noticed one-in-the-same OLB showing blitz
-- Considered the play call, a long bomb in the end zone ("all streaks" with no check-down)
-- Decided that there was a high % chance of interception
-- Considered the LT vs. OLB matchup as favorable
-- Faked a drop-back, waited for the LT to block the OLB into a bad angle, then took off.

Consider that most of the decision process came in the 5-10 seconds between lineup & snap. When I told my girl the actual backstory of the play, she turned and said "You hear people talk about the IT factor. That sounds like IT to me."

And she's right. When people watch Peyton Manning lead a game-winning drive, they say Manning just has that it factor. In actuality, Manning can think quickly/clearly and is calm in pressure situations.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
How much do you think Vad Lee observed on the practice field, and how much did that factor into his decision to transfer?

Probably nada, though maybe it SHOULD have. All high-level players tend to have a supreme, if often misguided, belief in their own abilities. Listen to some marginal practice-squad NFL player about to be cut, he will say "I definitely think I have the skills to compete for a starting role here."

I would never begrudge anyone such hubris, though. They have to have that personality trait in order to even get to a scholarship level.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Don't you think that in '13, when Lee had to share QB some with Thomas after sharing it the previous season with Washington, Lee looked about and saw reality? In my opinion while he did not have the skills of Thomas, he could have played QB physically. He could run, throw, he was tough enough. Mentally not so much maybe. Johnson hinted after he left, and despite bending to try that funky diamond alignment -- really the closest he could get to his beloved spread option alignment when you look at it -- that some previous "leaders" had not bought in, and Lee himself said it wasn't for him. That pretty much negated any chance of the team leadership role. Mostly though, a season's look at Thomas probably hastened him into a change that benefited everybody. I really don't mean to sound flip, but the more I think about it the more I think that some QBs just need that six-yard head start to reading defenses; maybe what Thomas really meant was being under center was not for him. The question I've always had is did Johnson make the Madison phone call for him, or how did they hook up?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Don't you think that in '13, when Lee had to share QB some with Thomas after sharing it the previous season with Washington, Lee looked about and saw reality? In my opinion while he did not have the skills of Thomas, he could have played QB physically. He could run, throw, he was tough enough. Mentally not so much maybe. Johnson hinted after he left, and despite bending to try that funky diamond alignment -- really the closest he could get to his beloved spread option alignment when you look at it -- that some previous "leaders" had not bought in, and Lee himself said it wasn't for him. That pretty much negated any chance of the team leadership role. Mostly though, a season's look at Thomas probably hastened him into a change that benefited everybody. I really don't mean to sound flip, but the more I think about it the more I think that some QBs just need that six-yard head start to reading defenses; maybe what Thomas really meant was being under center was not for him. The question I've always had is did Johnson make the Madison phone call for him, or how did they hook up?
Lee?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
JT has it because he makes the play that needs to be made at the time--whatever that is. But-he will be a marked man this yr so there is even more pressure.