It could be worse...

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
This past weekend I was hanging out with my neighbor, who is a Georgia fan, and we were just talking about the state of our two programs. Over the past...hell, 20 years GT has been inferior to UGA in every way, and I don't know if that is going to change in the next 20 years. They have better facilities, higher salaries, better talent, etc etc, but at the end of the day what has that gotten them? NOTHING! They are going on 40, FORTY, F-O-R-T-Y years without a national championship. They constantly bring in 5* after 5* that under preform while in Athens, and then become all pros in the NFL. At least on Saturday nights when I lay my head on a pillow I know there is a hope that we can still improve, and there is still work to be done. For those Georgia fans, there isn't anything left to do. They can't recruit any better. They can't build anything nicer. And they can't pay anyone more. They have hit the end of the line, and the end of their line is 10-2 with a trip to the Outback Bowl.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This past weekend I was hanging out with my neighbor, who is a Georgia fan, and we were just talking about the state of our two programs. Over the past...hell, 20 years GT has been inferior to UGA in every way, and I don't know if that is going to change in the next 20 years. They have better facilities, higher salaries, better talent, etc etc, but at the end of the day what has that gotten them? NOTHING! They are going on 40, FORTY, F-O-R-T-Y years without a national championship. They constantly bring in 5* after 5* that under preform while in Athens, and then become all pros in the NFL. At least on Saturday nights when I lay my head on a pillow I know there is a hope that we can still improve, and there is still work to be done. For those Georgia fans, there isn't anything left to do. They can't recruit any better. They can't build anything nicer. And they can't pay anyone more. They have hit the end of the line, and the end of their line is 10-2 with a trip to the Outback Bowl.
Whattaya mean "...there isn't anything left to do"? There are always bag men to recruit and players to pay. "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" according to the ethical standards of the SEC.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
..,,. They have better facilities, higher salaries, better talent, etc etc, but at the end of the day what has that gotten them? NOTHING! They are going on 40, FORTY, F-O-R-T-Y years without a national championship......
I love pointing out to Dwag fans that the last u(sic)ga national championship was closer in time to the bombing of Pearl Harbor than it is to today.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
uga happens to be located between Bama and Clemson, and it sucks the life out of Athens.

I agree with the OP. The one thing they want most is the one thing they can't have, and that is a miserable existence. The girl they bring to the dance keeps going home with somebody else.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They are already doing that and STILL can't get over the hump!
I ask my buddies from Florida why UGA is getting all these 4 and 5 star guys out of Florida right under the noses of the Gators, the Criminoles, and Miami. They say that Kirby just points out a guy and says to the bag men: "We really need that guy" and its taken care of. I don't know what happens to them after they get to Athens. Five stars become four stars, four stars become three stars and so forth. They say that with the spread, it becomes critical to have a top shelf quarterback and UGA for whatever reason has fallen a little short (in the case of the current one literally so). The difference in the game Saturday between Florida's quarterback and receivers and UGA's was stark.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
When Kirby "Smart" basically had Bammer beat a few years back, but for some inexplicable reason, he did a STUPID fake punt when his D was dominating, I knew then that he would be Mark Richt squared. He is not "smart" enough to take whatever talent he gets and win it all. I hope they keep him for a few more years. One of these days, they might get a special head coach, but I hope not. Talent has not really been their problem for many, many years. It is all coaching and especially at the top.

By the way, I don't think our head coach is a genius either.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I ask my buddies from Florida why UGA is getting all these 4 and 5 star guys out of Florida right under the noses of the Gators, the Criminoles, and Miami. They say that Kirby just points out a guy and says to the bag men: "We really need that guy" and its taken care of. I don't know what happens to them after they get to Athens. Five stars become four stars, four stars become three stars and so forth. They say that with the spread, it becomes critical to have a top shelf quarterback and UGA for whatever reason has fallen a little short (in the case of the current one literally so). The difference in the game Saturday between Florida's quarterback and receivers and UGA's was stark.
Same problem society has, when you get something for nothing you don’t work as hard. Kinda simple

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Envy is unbecoming. Give us that 10-2 record every year and watch us celebrate.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
UGA suffers from being the 4th best program in the SEC. (Alabama, LSU and Florida just seem to have more that UGA). To me UGA seems on the level of Auburn. They recruit, they have a ton of money, they have die-hard fans, but they aren't on the level of those three. So as big as they are, they are always going to suffer from being the 4th dog in their conference.

They also suffer from always being unbalanced in at least one aspect of their team. This year its their QB play. Next year, its probably going to be their Oline, but there is something that continually keeps them from beating the best teams in the country.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
tenor (1).gif

zzzboy25

Georgia Tech Fan
This Stars on these players are becoming so over rated..Once again these stars are being magnified from these camps they go to.. Toughness and focus and game time situations are not being evaluated as much as size and speed with these players...For example techs back our in 3A conference after transferring to those small school running all over smaller competition. Guys, talking about the older group, just remember our favorite players growing up, they were never the fastest or biggest, but mentally tough and heart. Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, L.Taylor and so on!

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Hedonic adaption is a real B***h - essentially the human tendency to take the current level of success as a given and strive for more. We're constantly thinking: if I could just get promoted to x level, make $xxx amount, buy that beach condo, then I'd be satisfied. But then we take what we have for granted and come up with a new thing we need 'to be satisfied'. Also called the hedonic treadmill, because it never ends...

It's so sad to me, Bama fans, Clemson fans, have every reason to be satisfied. They've gotten far more than a typical cfb fan's lifetime worth of championships. But they can't enjoy it, they're terrified of falling off the mountaintop. We look at UGA and think- 'Man, why aren't they satisfied with 10+ wins a year every year?' But we wouldn't, we'd take that as a given and raise our expectations.

So, I take comfort in that thought when it's looked like UGA was getting close to a championship. If they ever do win one, they'll celebrate for a night. But then, the fear of not making it back to the mountaintop will set in... They will never really be happy.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
... They will never really be happy.

If you have read the various GT boards over the years, neither will most of us apparently. It is difficult for me to fathom why people voluntarily spend so much time, energy,$. etc. on something that seems to generate little or no return on investment for them. Life is short, I want to avoid things that don't yield return of some sort.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I hate UGA as much as the next guy, but titling a thread “It could be worse” and then comparing our situation to Uga is ridiculous.

We’d all love to be as good as they are. Top 10 basically every season? Yeah, that’s fine with me.
From where we have been the last 12 years, I agree!