Is this season a repeat of last year?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
At least we don't have a good ND team on the schedule but we don't matchup well against UNC this year. It shouldn't be 0-100 the last two games unless UGA wants to run it up. We will have nothing to play for by then except pride.

slugboy

Staff member
At least we don't have a good ND team on the schedule but we don't matchup well against UNC this year. It shouldn't be 0-100 the last two games unless UGA wants to run it up. We will have nothing to play for by then except pride.
UNC may have just the defense our offense is looking for.

E148BB8A-58F9-4FEA-897B-2E10959B3692.png

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Someone explain the position of some posters that this team is better since Collins is gone.

With Collins, according to Sagarin rankings, Tech lost to No. 8 Clemson, No. 19 Ole Miss and No. 30 UCF.

Without Collins, Tech beat No. 61 Pitt (their DB's have bad hands) and No. 53 Duke (which Tech beat last year with Collins), but lost to No. 84 UVA and was blown out by No. 33 FSU.

Support your position with facts. And Jeff Sims was hurt much of last year too, so that doesn't help you.

The old saying that coaches get too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose is live and well in the Tech fan base. The reality is that we don't have talent. That nose dive started more than 4 years ago and has taken more than 3 years of recruiting to fix. The Covid year has yielded six potential years of eligibility for our competition, and they have talent in those 4-6 year players that we lack.

This year's recruiting plus transfers out with the coaching change may be another set back, but had become necessary. I just don't know where we will get the $14/million a year to pay off this staff plus hire the quality of staff we need--and with NIL, $14/million a year isn't enough. It's hard to be optimistic given GTAA management for the last 20 years. Maybe J Batt is a magician, but I doubt it.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Someone explain the position of some posters that this team is better since Collins is gone.

With Collins, according to Sagarin rankings, Tech lost to No. 8 Clemson, No. 19 Ole Miss and No. 30 UCF.

Without Collins, Tech beat No. 61 Pitt (their DB's have bad hands) and No. 53 Duke (which Tech beat last year with Collins), but lost to No. 84 UVA and was blown out by No. 33 FSU.

Support your position with facts. And Jeff Sims was hurt much of last year too, so that doesn't help you.

The old saying that coaches get too much credit when they win and too much blame when they lose is live and well in the Tech fan base. The reality is that we don't have talent. That nose dive started more than 4 years ago and has taken more than 3 years of recruiting to fix. The Covid year has yielded six potential years of eligibility for our competition, and they have talent in those 4-6 year players that we lack.

This year's recruiting plus transfers out with the coaching change may be another set back, but had become necessary. I just don't know where we will get the $14/million a year to pay off this staff plus hire the quality of staff we need--and with NIL, $14/million a year isn't enough. It's hard to be optimistic given GTAA management for the last 20 years. Maybe J Batt is a magician, but I doubt it.
Where are you getting $14 million a year from?

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

You're right, let's rehire Collins, we clearly made a mistake.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow

Collins winning percentage was 26%.

Key’s winning percentage is 50%.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

here’s the short answer; the decision wasn’t made in order to be better under Key. The decision was made in order to get better, period.
The fact that we were almost immediately better under Key is telling (damning). We weren’t going to magically be a good football team this year, but we almost overnight became a team people had to respect. That is due to Key’s influence / leadership. Collins may have gotten exactly the same results...but I doubt it. Reality is we will never know, but it would’ve shocked me for a Collins coached team to gut out either the Pitt or Duke games.... especially given how critical the kicking game was. We didn’t have the stomach for winning games like that under Collins.
So, you’re right that it would’ve been nice to save a few million, but you’re wrong if you think there is any way we could keep Collins. I don’t know if that’s what you meant, but Collins had one foot out the door last November, and we could botch this hire completely and still be better off. Collins was a miss of colossal proportions, and his removal instantly made us better because now we can actually start the rebuild

JacketFan137

Banned
Collins winning percentage was 26%.

Key’s winning percentage is 50%.
if you want to remove absolutely all nuance then this is a good argument.

reality is pitt and duke are bad teams. even before the season and when confidence was even lower than today people were chalking duke up as a win.

slugboy

Staff member
I like what Elko has done with Duke. They’re improved from last season, play good football, and will probably be even better next season. They’re one win from bowl eligibility. They’re a decent team.
Pitt hid the skids lately, but I think they’ll go bowling too.
Between last year and this year our defense got better and our offense got worse. Our defense has been playing better under Key than under Collins. Offense has been sliding, but not by much.
1667230176583.png

CEB

Helluva Engineer
if you want to remove absolutely all nuance then this is a good argument.

reality is pitt and duke are bad teams. even before the season and when confidence was even lower than today people were chalking duke up as a win.
What we were chalking up preseason is 100% irrelevant... and that was before we saw Duke play a single down of football (much less, start 4-1).
Collins led GT team does not beat that Duke team. No doubt in my mind.
Pitt is certainly under achieving, but again, Collins’ Jackets don’t win that one.
The hallmark of Collins’ teams was to find ways to lose. We got blown out and we faded late, but we didn’t gut out wins. I have no reason to think we would’ve gutted out either of those under Collins.

JacketFan137

Banned
What we were chalking up preseason is 100% irrelevant... and that was before we saw Duke play a single down of football (much less, start 4-1).
Collins led GT team does not beat that Duke team. No doubt in my mind.
Pitt is certainly under achieving, but again, Collins’ Jackets don’t win that one.
The hallmark of Collins’ teams was to find ways to lose. We got blown out and we faded late, but we didn’t gut out wins. I have no reason to think we would’ve gutted out either of those under Collins.
i know that i’m just saying saying key is 2-2 vs collins record is just kinda dumb. if key was here the whole time and had to play the same schedule with this same roster are we sure it’s better?

in my opinion we win a few more games but winning 40% of our games vs 26% is pretty much the same thing at the end of the day. i don’t know if key takes this team bowling in any previous seasons and i’m not convinced our on field product is light years ahead of what collins did

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i know that i’m just saying saying key is 2-2 vs collins record is just kinda dumb. if key was here the whole time and had to play the same schedule with this same roster are we sure it’s better?

in my opinion we win a few more games but winning 40% of our games vs 26% is pretty much the same thing at the end of the day. i don’t know if key takes this team bowling in any previous seasons and i’m not convinced our on field product is light years ahead of what collins did
I agree the comparison of records is not particularly nuanced, but it’s not to be altogether dismissed either. Saying Duke and Pitt are bad teams isn’t necessarily untrue, but I’m pretty sure the Collins led team would’ve lost to one, if not both of them.
I wouldn’t expect Key to be “light years ahead of what Colins did” especially with only a month under his belt, but that wasn’t the question...
the original question; are we better under Key? Absolutely, 100%.
Is Key the long term solution? It doesn’t appear so.
For what it’s worth, if Key coached the whole season, it probably doesn’t change our record. BUT, we’re still a better team now so arguably, we would’ve been better all along.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

Geoff? That you?