Is this REALLY true?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Like uga, GaSo offers a handful of engineering degrees. Neither schools engineering programs pose any threat o GTs prominence in this field. The stark reality is that more and more job fields are STEM related so more schools will begin expanding or offering STEM fields. The thought that we might be the sole source of engineering degrees in the state was never realistic.

This is spot on. Unfortunately, GT is the Ferrari/Porsche/Rolls Royce of STEM schools in GA. GT is highly selective of who we bring into our STEM programs. That was the criticism and weapon UGA used to get approval for its Engineering school. Whether UGA's school would be as good as GT in producing elite level STEM grads wasn't the issue...the issue was the need for GA schools to produce STEM grads to fill the needs of the state. UGA saw that void, and capitalized.

EDIT:

Here's an article that discusses the need for more schools in GA to produce more engineers.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Goes back many years ago to the BOR taking school of Commerce from Tech and placed it in Athens. Most of the FB team took that major. More recently they added engineering which duplicates GT majors. Now they can recruit kids who want to major in engineering away from Tech. Shameless.
I wouldbe shocked if more than ONE in the 2 deep at uga major in ENG.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would be shocked if they had one or two majoring in ENG on the entire roster.Heck, I bet we don't have more than 4 or 5 ourselves (but could be wrong).

GT33

Helluva Engineer
This is spot on. Unfortunately, GT is the Ferrari/Porsche/Rolls Royce of STEM schools in GA. GT is highly selective of who we bring into our STEM programs. That was the criticism and weapon UGA used to get approval for its Engineering school. Whether UGA's school would be as good as GT in producing elite level STEM grads wasn't the issue...the issue was the need for GA schools to produce STEM grads to fill the needs of the state. UGA saw that void, and capitalized.

EDIT:

Here's an article that discusses the need for more schools in GA to produce more engineers.

The State of Georgia has only 1 accredited Engineering School? That's pretty damn shocking.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Didn't say they ended up in engineering but they could say it was offered if a kid thought he wanted to study it.
Good friend from HS was a good student and went to Tennessee. He wanted to study Metallurgy in college. He was told not to take that major if he wanted to play there. He changed majors to Transportation and started on a SEC championship team in 1970.

slugboy

Staff member
The State of Georgia has only 1 accredited Engineering School? That's pretty damn shocking.
It’s not true.

Last edited:

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not true.

Oh look, the school that Colonel Van Leer started and a pig molester politician destroyed. For all you people that think the BoR is just some neutral body- they killed Southern Poly because they hate what we represent. The same way they killed the Medical College of Georgia. They are unequivocally a force for ignorance, poverty, and evil in this state.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Oh look, the school that Colonel Van Leer started and a pig molester politician destroyed. For all you people that think the BoR is just some neutral body- they killed Southern Poly because they hate what we represent. The same way they killed the Medical College of Georgia. They are unequivocally a force for ignorance, poverty, and evil in this state.

Not sure what you mean by killed MCG. Since they absorbed Augusta University they are as strong as ever and growing.

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
I thought GT (relatively) recently expanded the liberal arts majors to join AAU. I'm no board of regents, but as an alumnus I'd be disappointed to see academic standards lowered in the hopes of more athletic success.

ME22

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm no board of regents, but as an alumnus I'd be disappointed to see academic standards lowered in the hopes of more athletic success.
I definitely agree with you there, but I’d love to see tech be able to offer a broader selection of majors, maybe have a med school or even a law school, as I imagine those to be pretty good fits for the culture of GT

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I definitely agree with you there, but I’d love to see tech be able to offer a broader selection of majors, maybe have a med school or even a law school, as I imagine those to be pretty good fits for the culture of GT
I once had a GT prof tell me, when my daughter was considering med school , not to let her do undergrad at Tech that they would ruin her GPA.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
But is that relatively recent? 'Cause I'm thinking the problem goes back decades...to the Dodd era at least.
Isnt it in the state regulations - Gt is resesrch only and uga is all other.

Didn't we all go to gt to be researchers?

Till they change the "research only and uga has first right to offer any courses before gt can'", we will be pushing a boulder up a hill.

Once , I checked the uga verses gt connections for the board members and we were out numbered by wide margin.

TFPrez was not innovative about gtaa being broke.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Years ago (decades really), I heard that one of the obstacles Tech faces is that the Georgia Board of Regents is primarily composed of UGA grads who do not want to see Tech overly successful athletically.

So, they won't allow Tech to offer majors that might be more appealing to student-athletes who are not quite up to the academic challenges of our standard curricula.

Any truth to this old saw?
Yes and no.

Georgia Tech fundamentally changed under Petit. It was he who focused the Experiment Station on Research, later to become GTRI. Tech is a billion dollar cash engine to the USG and they (BoR) don’t want to take their focus off that.

IMO, you cannot look at Tech athletics today without taking this into account. It really drives Tech, development and every school. That wasn’t the case as recently as 1990.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Years ago (decades really), I heard that one of the obstacles Tech faces is that the Georgia Board of Regents is primarily composed of UGA grads who do not want to see Tech overly successful athletically.

So, they won't allow Tech to offer majors that might be more appealing to student-athletes who are not quite up to the academic challenges of our standard curricula.

Any truth to this old saw?
It was true as of the 2000s at least. I was a close confidant of a friend who was among the final decision makers on the Tech side (the way it worked is that Tech wouldn’t put something up for a board vote that they didn’t already know would pass, so the final group from Tech that decides what to send to the board used inside info on what the board vote would be and decides accordingly).

I’ve heard it’s changed since then but I don’t know about anything since the 2010s.

Note: Keep in mind that it’s not just UGAg grads that did this. It was also Tech grads who went along with the UGAg grads. I’m not exactly sure why, but I suppose it was either horse trading or they were trying to maintain relations with their UGAg colleagues.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
UGA grads on the BoR or not, how many Tech presidents do you think have gone to that board asking for athletics help? Seems like a significant part of GT leadership would have just as soon dropped that side entirely.
That’s not how it worked. Tech Presidents did not go to the board with things they know will be voted down. If the Presidents want to try something knew, it’s usually passed to the board through unofficial channels snd they lobby unofficially and only those items they know will succeed after all this are actually sent to the board.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah you don’t take anything to the board that you don’t have votes for.

A law school at GT is exceedingly obvious, but will never happen.