Is this REALLY true?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Years ago (decades really), I heard that one of the obstacles Tech faces is that the Georgia Board of Regents is primarily composed of UGA grads who do not want to see Tech overly successful athletically.

So, they won't allow Tech to offer majors that might be more appealing to student-athletes who are not quite up to the academic challenges of our standard curricula.

Any truth to this old saw?

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ve wondered if it’s impacted our portal recruiting as well. It’s one thing to convince a h.s. kid that business is a great major, quite another to map someone’s PT or Recreation major courses into GT equivalent courses in order to transfer.

At least our new Ivan Allen College majors give us a chance with legit students doing liberal arts.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Years ago (decades really), I heard that one of the obstacles Tech faces is that the Georgia Board of Regents is primarily composed of UGA grads who do not want to see Tech overly successful athletically.

So, they won't allow Tech to offer majors that might be more appealing to student-athletes who are not quite up to the academic challenges of our standard curricula.

Any truth to this old saw?
The Board of Regents is led by a GT grad, Harold Reynolds.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
UGA grads on the BoR or not, how many Tech presidents do you think have gone to that board asking for athletics help? Seems like a significant part of GT leadership would have just as soon dropped that side entirely.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Sure but why else would they do that but to help them and needlessly spend state education dollars.
My interpretation of the reasoning for uga to get an engineering school was basically there weren't enough engineers being produced by the state to fill all the bad engineering jobs in poor/****ty parts of the state, because Tech grads are too in demand and will have better offers getting paid more and/or leave the state. gaggers are more likely to return to their hometowns and take those lower paying less prestigious jobs.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My interpretation of the reasoning for uga to get an engineering school was basically there weren't enough engineers being produced by the state to fill all the bad engineering jobs in poor/****ty parts of the state, because Tech grads are too in demand and will have better offers getting paid more and/or leave the state. gaggers are more likely to return to their hometowns and take those lower paying less prestigious jobs.
Yes, but… there’s Southern and there was an engineering school at GA Sou, IIRC.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes, but… there’s Southern and there was an engineering school at GA Sou, IIRC.

Like uga, GaSo offers a handful of engineering degrees. Neither schools engineering programs pose any threat o GTs prominence in this field. The stark reality is that more and more job fields are STEM related so more schools will begin expanding or offering STEM fields. The thought that we might be the sole source of engineering degrees in the state was never realistic.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Like uga, GaSo offers a handful of engineering degrees. Neither schools engineering programs pose any threat o GTs prominence in this field. The stark reality is that more and more job fields are STEM related so more schools will begin expanding or offering STEM fields. The thought that we might be the sole source of engineering degrees in the state was never realistic.
My point was GA Sou already had a third rate engineering school. Southern Tech is a very good engineering technology school. It’s between the two. Now UGAg is in there, too.